Interest Check Thread

Thank you! Look out for the demo and teaser vid coming soon. I got really lucky with my local library having a full audio/visual lab for free use. With covid booking has been rough so deadlines are a bit wonky.

If you mean a save system, yes there will be a save system! Part of the reason is so I can also track analytical.

As for cybernetics, yes! The breakdown of cybernetics goes basically like this.
Slots:
Head Slot: This is where your “operating system” cybernetic would go. Determining your energy, action points etc. Better upgrade, more you can do.

Torso Slot: This slot deals with environmental-type stuff. Some areas will only be accessible with the right environmental cybernetics.(Dealing with zero oxygen, heavy air pollution, etc)

L. Arm: This is the “utility” arm slot. The ‘skimmer’ mod for example let’s you pick up recent messages on NPC’s phones if you can get close enough. Another is the ‘grappling hook’ mod which will assist in getting to areas you otherwise couldn’t.

R. Arm: This is the “weapon” arm slot. Everything from a machine gun arm to a hidden blade. Rumor is there is even an experimental rail gun mod somewhere in Haven city. :wink:

Legs: This slot counts for both legs. Offering mods that might increase how much distance you can cover, designed for long falls, and even a mod that will let you walk over mines and through laser trip wires with no issues!

Remember though, this is also a game about morality and ethics. A good example is the “flayer” mod. With it you can directly extract memories from enemies and NPC’s. However, you don’t get to choose which memories get ‘flayed.’ Meaning it could be a completely useless endeavor, and because of how the flayer functions it leaves the person completely paralyzed.

There is also quite a bit of lore on the history of cybernetics. It will of course have its light side and darker side.

You can also do a run-through with absolutely zero mods which is called the ‘purist’ run. I consider it the game’s ‘hard’ mode. Which will offer it’s own unique benefits :wink:

Thanks everyone who has shown interest so far! I’ll post update’s when I can and hopefully have a blog up with the teaser trailer.

3 Likes

Interesting. Thank you for the information. I was referring to saving NPCs that our MC comes across: Can we choose to save them or leave them to their fate & focus only on surviving?

Yes, every npc has a relationship stat. Additionally, if an NPC is tied to a faction your decision on how you interact with that NPC may change how the faction views you. Things to keep in mind when dealing with others in game.

1 Like

Interesting. Thank you for the information. I can’t wait to play the demo when it releases

Hey folks just an update!

The standalone puzzle game is about 90% finished. As well the trailer is about the same. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with Corona yesterday and feel like someone beat me up when I wasn’t looking. I’m going to try and work on it as much as possible but expect delays.

The good news is one of my dear friends(and one of the main voice actors) has offered her assistance. She’ll be hopefully be helping me finish the last few bits via zoom. As well she’ll be running a small broadcast with a few other of the voice actors talking about the game. Everything will be posted in a new thread in the demo section when it’s finished.

Thank you everyone for being super patient!

6 Likes

Hopefully you will have a fast recovery. Take care!

Oh I’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully everything goes well after that.

I’m sorry to hear that. Take all the time u need & I hope u have a swift recovery

1 Like

Hello everyone, and happy holidays.

Regarding my WIP Scarlet Lords (see post 3975), the development has been going well enough and I’m learning a lot of things while writing it. I have expanded the world lore a lot and am planning to add more depth to the Merlyaverse, among new/reworked mechanics and characters.

But it happens that the situation in my country isn’t optimal, and recently I’ve had to focus more on IRL stuff and less in finishing the project. Because of that, I don’t exactly know if I can finish the demo in the next two months.

Also, I may have been a little (too much) eager when I posted the Interest Check last month. I was probably going to release a half-finished work with too many flaws and then feel like I had done a poor job.

So now I’m going to rework many things, add new ones and delete others. I admit that, being my first IF project ever, it is ambitious, maybe overly so, but I’m determined to finish it, be it in two months or seven years.

12 Likes

You are the bastard of King Javid of the wealthy and powerful kingdom of Dagwar with a very ambitious mother who plans to put you on the throne to elevate her status after his death.

With this goal in mind, she sends you to court. Will you be her pawn and do as she asks? Will you take the throne for you own ambitions or will you carve out a different path entirely?

Immerse yourself into court politics, intrigue, plots and affairs. Scheme to take the throne or don’t but most importantly, survive.

Features

• Summon demons, create love potions, raise the dead and impersonate the living! If you can use it, magic will be a powerful tool. Just make sure you cover your tracks; the court mages are powerful and suspicious.

• Gather spies and collect secrets from all corners of the palace and even beyond. Pick the right ones and your information will be bountiful. Pick the wrong ones and your schemes might be exposed.

• Be as just and pure as you’d like or as Machiavellian and cunning as you desire or strike a healthy balance between the two. Whichever you pick, remember, your reputation will precede you.

• Ascend the throne peacefully through diplomacy or after bloodshed.

Romance
Romance members of the court, have affairs, one night stands or even get married to increase your power, influence and reputation. Be mindful that your lovers can get pregnant and so can you. (If female MC)

• Farrow (Male)
    A recently pardoned pirate, now privateer and the Queen’s lover. Is your romance with him just to get under her skin? Or could there be something more between you?

• Cisi (Female)
    She is the priestess in training of the royal house and a shy, demure individual. She’s committed to her faith and generally wary of romantic gestures. Will you be able to pull her out of her shell?

• Hagia (Female)
    She’s the perfect noble lady, bred and destined for marriage, children and managing a country estate. But her ambitions lie further than that, she wants to be queen and has her eyes on marriage to your brother.

• Hayro (Male)
    Handsome, powerful and wealthy. The Lord commander of the Royal Navy seems to have it all except for happiness that is. What is it that this brooding mountain of a man wants? And can you give it to him?

• Nevida (Female)
    Princess Nevida is royalty on a diplomatic visit. The princess is clever, witty, cunning and more importantly has armies that can back your claim to the throne. Of course that’s not the only reason to befriend her, right?

• Arina Asan (Female)
    A shape shifting witch that gathers information for the queen. She’s closed off and quite frankly, an unpleasant person with few friends and many enemies. It’s advisable to be nice to any black cats you see stalking the halls. That might be her or her familiar and she’s fond of hexing those who offend her.

• Cyrus (Male)
    An assassin from the eastern isles. You know this because he was sent to kill you but changed his mind for some reason. Will you ever find out why? Or will you end up on the wrong side of his blade?

• Nyfilem (Male)
    They say not to make deals with the devil but how can you resist the charm of this particular demon and his promise to give you the throne?

104 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Heirs (WIP)

What do you folks think of what’s essentially a Venom game?

I didn’t have Venom in mind at first, but with the world build I have (fungal species that infects and pretends to be human to eat vampires), the mc being fully taken over wouldn’t be as fun as mc being a human whose infection went wrong and ended up sharing the body/mind with the fungal infection. Only then I realised this is essentially Venom.

37 Likes

I would actually play this wip if you ever decide to write about it, it seems like an interesting premise!

3 Likes

@Sel_Lee I’d play a Venom inspired game. Sounds like a cool concept. Hopefully be some romance in it too :joy:

2 Likes

Hmmm I honestly think if the MCs spouse AND kid die it would be more realstic/believable because then their whole world would be gone BUT most parents who are good/care like the MC seems to be would not leave their child behind after their parent is killed, they would lack the motive more so when there is a big chance they will die too and leave their kid with not parents.

4 Likes

I won’t spoil anything but…
I changed the plot a little bit, so it’s all tied up with the hero’s past and the fact that he’s hiding his powers and their past. The death of the spouse is one of the pushes that would make the main character a villain. Here everything rests on the main character’s past and their power(s).

But about the child. They will be the main character in the second part. In the second part, you can already choose to become a hero or a villain.

I apologize for my errors in the text

4 Likes

Sounds like fun. I’d play it

Hi! I’m fairly new to the forum but a long time binger of COG and HG works! I thought I’d try my hands on making a game of my own, and the rough concept I have is as follows:

The Kingdom of Kenna is at the brink of war with the migration of the Odenmireans down the North mountains. You find yourself entangled in the Dragon King’s court! People see you as the King’s oldest heir, a contender to the crown, and the one who may bring peace to the lands at last. Should you not inherit the crown, your brother; a mirror of the Dragon King himself, would surely lead the people of Kenna to their deaths. Now, there is one problem… you are not the actual heir.

The heir is dead.

You must navigate your way through the kingdom, make friends, lovers or enemies in the effort to ascend to the throne. You have the choice to act much like the heir or stay true to your own character, but be weary of causing suspicion, as those who surround you had watched the heir grow. Meanwhile, you must also find out who ordered the assassination of the heir before they attack again and kill you.

The ROs (atm not genderlocked) that have been fleshed out so far are as followed:

The Knight - A noble who has a history with the heir that they intend to keep buried.
The Advisor - They were the heir’s closest confidant and now yours. They know who you really are, but how much can you trust them?
The Duke/Duchess - Cunning and charming you are told to be weary of them as they come from the old Kingdom, however they have a proposition you cannot refuse.
The Bandit - A person from your past. Will they recognize who you really are and keep your secret, or will they sell you out for a price?
The ??? - ???

ALSO! The name holder for this is “Into the Dragon’s Den” but I would like to make it clear that there will be no living dragons in your timeline, but there had been one and is a big part of the history of the kingdoms. There is also magic but for some reason I’m having a hard time trying to figure out what type of magic it would be.

That’s all I have at the moment! I have no experience in coding and haven’t written in years, but this could be a great way to get back in the game! Let me know if you are interested in something like this or if you have any questions!

44 Likes

Would anyone be interested in a game about psychology (as in the main character of the game is just your regular psychologist)?

12 Likes

@zenith8 what about using psychology to help solve crimes? The MC being a teacher of psychology and using that knowledge, helping a detective solve high profile cases. Maybe some romance options too. Just a idea, thought it might help.

3 Likes