Interest Check Thread

No Hindus are not a ethnic group they are a religion like christianity, Islam etc
And India definitely has more than 60 ethnic groups

6 Likes

Sooo I am working on a game that I am waffling over. There are already a fair fee ā€œmagic schoolā€ type games and I would love to hear if the concept I have is novel enough to pursue? I have a rough outline and havenā€™t gotten into making it in CS yet, just some pseudo-code and plain prose at most. Iā€™d love to know if anyone finds this interesting (so I have more motivation to work on it).

In short the concept is an urban fantasy game where the PC chooses to play as a fantasy race (pulling from creatures in a variety of different folklore) and is pursuing a Masterā€™s/post-grad degree when their mentor disappears and theyā€™re the prime suspect. The PC then has to solve the mystery of whether their mentor is alive or dead, and who is responsible while also balancing class work, extracurriculars, and/or work study responsibilities. There will also be multiple ROs, who will appear in each ā€œrouteā€ but with different relationships to the PC depending on each one.

Other notes: the PC can play as multiple genders and sexual orientations, and each fantasy race option will give the PC different powers appropriate to their lore.

I appreciate any feedback I may get on this idea :heart:

35 Likes

Speaking as someone writing one of those ā€œfair few magic school type gamesā€, I would say itā€™s fine. :sweat_smile: Itā€™s just a setting, and there are lots of different plots you can do with the setting (and your plot doesnā€™t really sound similar to any of the others Iā€™ve seen). I say go for it. :slight_smile:

Out of interest, what fantasy races were you thinking of including?

4 Likes

Right now I have probably too many options lol Currently I have the options as werewolf, cat sƬth, bakeneko, triton, selkie, naga, garuda, half dragon, and griffin. These are definitely subject to change lol

4 Likes

That is quite a fewā€¦ :sweat_smile:

I note that you have two magical cats (cat sƬth and bakeneko) and two different types of merfolk (selkie and triton); if you want to cut down the numbers, it might make sense to start with these. :thinking: Alternatively, you could keep all of them, but only have a single ā€œmagical catā€ or ā€œmerfolkā€ route, which can differ slightly depending on the exact race chosen.

Also, it seems a little bit weird to have griffons there; most of the others are either humanoid (at least some of the time), and the magical cats are definitely human-level intelligence (plus I think they can be shapeshifters tooā€¦ :sweat_smile:), but griffons are generally more animalistic. :thinking:

2 Likes

as fellow birb I would have thought you would be kinder to your feathery brethren, parrot, lol jkjkjk

thatā€™s because people love them, lol
thereā€™s a reason theyā€™re so popular. itā€™s like a double whammy of escapist fantasies, and youā€™ve added this oh so intriguing mystery on top of that! :eyes: i say go for it!

4 Likes

Hey, garudaā€™s already there for birb representation. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Lol I actually have a few more but theyā€™re a mix of puns and things Iā€™m not committed to. I actually tried to plan out how the choice options would go and so there are different ā€œtypesā€ of creatures and then different options with bonuses to choose from. For example the cat sƬth would have a buff to magic and intelligence but the bakeneko would have bonuses to wisdom and performance in class (this isnā€™t accurate, just an example Iā€™m pulling from by butt). The idea being give more choice than Cat-person versus Dog-person versus Bird-person :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Pre-ordered on CoG app, the app store, and Steam. My nerd heart went pitter-patter, let me tell you that.

Also, the concept sounds great! Sure thereā€™s many magic school types of games, thereā€™s so much to do with that genre that I wouldnā€™t be worried about it. Plus, playing as a whole mythical being? Swoon.

Iā€™m gonna love learning about different races in this setting. Risking myself sounding like an absolute tool, I have to ask if youā€™re planning on adding any Norse/Scandinavian folklore creatures? Theyā€™re pretty niche (unless you count the draugen and Valkyries) so I donā€™t know how they would sit, but my curiosity knows no bounds.

3 Likes

As a Fennoscandianā€¦ they would probably sit very quietly, very fidgetily, very angrily, or not at all (and instead opt for protesting and thus, standing. Or skipping.)

2 Likes

I am definitely going to research more races once I get the plot down firmer, I plan on doing some deep diving into the lore behind races later on! If yā€™all have cool recommendations I am more than happy to look things up!

Iā€™m also doing my best to make sure my treatment of the different mythical creatures is respectful since I am pulling from a wide world of cultures.

1 Like

I am definitely looking this one up :eyes:

1 Like

I def recommend reading about the Fossegrim, Nykur (similar to the Scottish Kelpie), Valravn (thatā€™s Danish so Iā€™m not 100% familiar with that one, very niche), Huldra, and Askafroa.

VƦttir are also an interesting group to read about if folklore interests you!

I could go on for ages and pages, but Iā€™ll just leave this here for now :clap: Good luck with your writing, and the research! Hmu if you need anything more from either old Norse or Scandinavian lore, I gotcha.

2 Likes

I will most definitely look into these!! Thank you so much!!

1 Like

Hiisi are also cool, although theyā€™re Finnish and not Norse :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I will put them on the list! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello, Iā€™m new to this forum, and this kinda my first post. I have an idea that Iā€™m interested to write and I am determined to get this one done. I donā€™t have a fixed title for this one yet, but Iā€™m curious if anyone will be interested. English is not my native language, so Iā€™m sorry for any mistake that I make in this post.

So the premise of my story will be like this :

"The world was in turmoil, and the entire race was almost wiped out at the hands of the Lich King, Nazarhar, and his undead army. Until you, the angel of death, sent by the Creator Itself to save the world and kill the Lich King. After a long journey, you managed to kill Lich
*King in epic battles, a fight that takes all your strength. *

Yet the death of Lich King also marks your uselessness.

*The four heroes who have accompanied you throughout the quest betrayed you at your weakest point, and one by one they thrust their dagger to your heart, killing you without mercy. *

*And worse, your death wouldnā€™t be the same as the Lich King, because itā€™s not the end. You were brought back to life as an undead, they trapped your soul within a decaying body. They didnā€™t let you rest in peace, they turn you into their puppet, use you as a weapon to satisfying their ambition and greed for the conquest of the world. *

*Until, your friend, angel Eirwyn the Guardian of Secret, save you from these traitors. He returns your consciousness and once again you are the one that controls your own body. *

However ā€¦ as undead, whatā€™s left for you in this broken world? Will you look for a way back to heaven? Will you try to save the world once more? Or maybe is the revenge that you desired? Even tainted your soul with sin that beyond redemption?"

The story will be very dark. Anyone even the MC can die (again) in any part of the story, and It will be impossible to get a happy outcome in some of the choices. Itā€™s kinda like someone will die when you saved someone else. And early warning, I maybe will include a cruel and disturbing death scene that will show how dark the world it is.

30 Likes

Well, a mixed story of zombies with fantastic mythology sounds interesting.

1 Like

Well, itā€™s not actually about zombies haha. Imagine it like the mc is a fallen angel that turned into something like an undead knight. But yeah, the MC will look like a zombie with a rotten body and skin, and also skeletal wings. So I guess itā€™s also can consider zombies haha.

5 Likes

yes with some blood on his clothes :laughing:

2 Likes