Interest Check Thread

Questions concerning coding should go into the ChoiceScript Help section of the forums as this thread is dedicated towards gathering interest for someone’s WiP.

I would recommend checking out this thread since it’s pretty thorough in answering these sorts of questions:

6 Likes

This sounds AMAZING! I’d love to see the world building if you write this. Definitely a unique story.

2 Likes

Love that you decided to mesh traditional and modern culture

1 Like

thank you!

2 Likes

Ah thank you so much! I’ll remember to go to the right thread next time :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Over the past few years I have noticed a lack of sports games. I’ve decided to write one such book as my first project but before I start, I want to know if people are actually interested.

14 Likes

Basketball game?!?:smiley_cat::smile_cat::smirk_cat:

2 Likes

Honestly this sounds amazing, I hope you do write it

2 Likes

Hi guys!

I am writing a series set in a fictional Baltic country that has become independent from the Russian Federation. I plan three titles, with at least one million words in each. The first, the player would be a rebel soldier fighting against government forces, inspired by the Chechen War. The second, the player would be the leader of the country, repressing the rebels; and in the third, the player would be a civilian facing the horrors of war (based on “This War is Mine”). Remembering that all stories would be interconnected, only the perspective of each of them changes.

I would like to know what you think and if you have any tips. Thank you all for the attention.

15 Likes

There’s a lot to unpack here. First,

I have no doubt that the right people can plan multiple books in a series, but it’s hard as hell to pull off right. And unless you’re brilliant and have a crazy work ethic, three million words total is insane. Even @AllenGies, who I have nothing but the utmost respect for, only managed ~1.4 million in Tin Star. Second,

The Chechen War is a subject I’m very, very sharp on. I’m not so sure that you want to even touch it if you’re trying to write a story meant to draw people in; both sides were genuinely awful.

Playing as Boris Yeltsin (or another post-bloc leader) sounds like there would be an insanely high number of frighteningly unethical decisions involved if you’re looking to imitate reality; again, not something that lends itself super well to drawing in readers.

This would probably be the best bet for just doing a story.

7 Likes

Okay, because I’m a procrastinating idiot, instead of doing something productive or continuing the writing on a project I already have in the works I have developed an idea for a new project and I want to make sure it’s actually interesting before I spend anymore time on it, so I wrote a short startup for the story.

https://dashingdon.com/play/oscar/bane-born/mygame/

If you’re not busy, please give it a read and let me know what you think.

Edit: since people seemed interested in this I’ve begun writing some of the actual story, no idea what direction it’s headed on yet, I’ll probably make a topic for it after I finish chapter 2.

17 Likes

Oi @OscarKane stats are not working (are there stats at all?!? :roll_eyes::smile_cat::smirk_cat:)

1 Like

No, since it’s only four pages long there are no stats as of yet, if I make it a full project then it can have stats.
Edit: Added a stat screen to tell you there is no stat screen

4 Likes

Cool, it’s short but good…G’Luck with the writing…

4 Likes

I like it! You should keep working on it

4 Likes

I’m interested in political games, especially Eastern Europe. However, war-focused games, including the Chechen War, can be controversial and a little different from what I want to see. I would love to see a game focused on politics that will lead a fictional Eastern European country.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking of making a hosted game called The Seven Duels of Annabella Lovelace. Near the end of her life, computer pioneer Ada Lovelace is effectively imprisoned by her mother and husband. You are Ada’s daughter, Annabella Lovelace, and you seek to free her from their oppression. Along the way, you’ll fight duels in which you decide what character weakness to attack with your dialogue. The thing will be a cross between quirky historical fact (did you know Dracula is indirectly based on Lord Byron, Ada’s father?) and the anime Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is to say, weird shit and girl power.

I’ve been floating Ada Lovelace ideas with friends and family for a little while, so their reaction to any such idea is now a little tepid. But I’m curious what reaction it would get here in the forum.

14 Likes

Lol, KG. Didn’t expect your first post after a good-long break would include mahou shoujo utena.

1 Like

Haha, well, recognizing Utena is a start I guess. Hello again!

3 Likes

This theme is, somehow familiar to me. I do not know why at the moment… with that said, I am a supporter of whatever project you decide to pursue.

I miss your presence in this community as you are an inspiration for many of us as well as someone that contributed quite a bit in many ways.

3 Likes