Interest Check Thread

Well, I appreciate your continued contribution to the community! I always appreciated your thoughtful feedback and gentle nudges toward more productive conversations. -Which makes your feedback about this particular idea sting but maybe in a good way. Ack, maybe there is no inherent hook in Ada Lovelace!

(that was a reply to Eiwynn, oops)

5 Likes

I think there is, but the situation just reminds me of games like:

• the theme is used by many with different settings and hooks, that is all I meant by my statement ā€“ I feel you are more than capable of creating a unique game that will be a fan favorite, and as I said before, you are one of my ā€œday-one purchaseā€ authorsā€¦

:two_hearts:

4 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m new to the writing and I was planning to write a fictional-world war novel thatā€™s happening in the '30s and thatā€™s purely revolving around combat and life of a soldier. Now my plan is not to make some cliche story where you would try to boost your stats and get as much medals and be the hero of the day. My plan is to make a rather more realistic approach to the combat where battles last much much longer and itā€™s not all guns blazing most of the time, but also, to present moral dilemmas a soldier could face. For example, you get an order to kill the civilians. Now Iā€™m wondering whether is this acceptable. Death of civilians, even kids in some cases, rape, war crimes etc? Of course such scenes wouldnā€™t be detailed or Iā€™d leave it optional to skip over such scenes because they are disturbing for majority of people.

10 Likes

As long as there are content warnings and you donā€™t get overly graphic then I think it would be ok. If you provide the chance to skip these scenes I doubt anyone will have a problem with it.

4 Likes

When in doubt, vote it out!

Option 1: (realistic management, low sci-fi) The Earth is dying. Countless years of human influence have destroyed the planetā€¦ and the final countdown has commenced. You must assemble your team of 6 and take 50 children to a currently unknown planet, hoping to save humanity. Will you ensure that the next generation lives to see another sunset? Or will you even make it off Earth in time?

Option 2: (high fantasy) The fire of rebellion is spreading across the land of Latariel. After thousands of years of oppression smothering all life, the time for change has come. Or has it? Because you as the ruler are certainly not going to let this happen.

Option 3: (surrealist horror) Something watches you from the corners of your visionā€¦ an ominous being, clad in black. It unceasingly follows you even into your dreams. Where can you hide when the monster is part of you?

Feel free to provide feedback or how you would change the idea :grin: I am open to any and all suggestions!

Whatā€™s your fancy?
  • Option 1
  • Option 2
  • Option 3

0 voters

8 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this is what youā€™re looking for, but I think Options 2 and 3 fit nicely into Option 1 as subplots. Otherwise, I think 2 and 3 (as theyā€™re written for the poll) might be too thin as premises to go the distance. But, if you make two of the challenges to post-earth colonization 1) a planetary rebellion as well as 2) a parasitic alien that possesses its host, then you add two more conflicts you can integrate or install as episodes. I guess it all depends on what you want to write and how long you want it to be. I like the lo syfy survival horror with rebellion option! I can say more or not. @Jackpot1776 ā€œMost stories die in Act 2,ā€ usually because someone thought of a good ending and/or beginning, but not the huge amount of space you have to fill between them. This might help w that.

2 Likes

I would like it thoughā€¦good politics games are lacking. Probably because theyā€™re a) for a niche audience, which is no problem in and of itself but youā€™re probably going to have to settle for more modest sales than some of the best-sellers over here and b), I think far more important, previous attempts have mostly run aground on how damned difficult it is to do the genre justice, especially in a text only game where you can abstract very little through mechanics and sliders and stuff. Like, for example, in, Democracy/Dictatorship 3.

If you narrow it down to one of these, I would like this one most, but I fully realise it would also be, by far, the most daunting to pull off well and for the most niche audience to boot.

Youā€™d thematically be in the same league as @Havenstone 's as yet unwritten books 4 and 5 of the rebels series would be.

Cata has shown that military fiction with moral choices ranging from gray to awful can be done well in the medium in the first but mainly the second instalment of his Infinity series.
It is probably still a bit more niche than say superhero fantasy, but the audience for it definitely exists, right here on this forum in fact.

I agree, but it is also less distinctive than either of the other two.

5 Likes

How interested would people be in something akin to Steve Jacksonā€™s Sorcery! Books, in which youā€™re traveling along branching paths?

Iā€™m thinking something along the lines of ā€œyour grandfather was an old war hero, who fought along side the king when they were young. On his deathbed, he gave you a sealed letter and asked you to deliver it to the king.ā€

What paths you take and your choices can effect the meeting with the king (among other things).

Traveling trough the rolling hills, you can help the village with their bandit problem. The mayor writes you a letter of recommendation to give to the king.

Travel through the mountains and fight a troll. Keep the troll pelt and give it to the king as an offering.

Find a magical sword. Take it for yourself or, again, offer it to the king.

(I really like the image of the MC walking Into the palace while wheeling a literal wagon of treasures and artifacts behind them, and I want to give the player that choice. But again, you can choose to claim many of these things for yourself, and their will be other rewards that donā€™t have anything to do with the king at all.)

9 Likes

Option 2 seems quite good and it was voted by a majority, although if I were you, Iā€™d make a realistic medieval game, instead of a high fantasy one. There are more than enough fantasy games provided both by choiceofgames and hostedgames and in most cases theyā€™re usually cliche stories. Iā€™m not a fan of fantasy, although I will certainly enjoy a fantasy game when itā€™s a good one, like the dragoon saga. My point is, if you feel that your idea is unique and that you can enrich choice games library, then go all for it, but Iā€™d suggest something more like the lords of aswick vibe, out of rulerā€™s perspective and maybe with management system. However, if this ruins your vision, then stick to your gut and do whatever you think would be awesome.

3 Likes

hey folks, itā€™s another story and surprisingly, my first non-fiction/magical story. Some feedbacks may help and will be appreciated. :slight_smile:

The Crown of Vengeance

A story of vengeance of the main character. Fight for righteous and kindness or Fight for greed and bloodlust. Set in medieval time with European-Asian theme, and the time of no freedom and rights of everyone.

Story Summary

It was started in a revolt in the sounthern part of Crosstova Empire, a powerful empire in the land of Belcushon. As the Emperor heard about this revolt, he himself ordered his General to exterminate and wiped out all towns in the south without listening to their purposes and people behind it. As the result of the violence, all towns including Evergreen were destroyed and burnt down into ashes. Sorrow and pain, everyone lost everything they used to have and to love.

The MC witnessed on how his/her family, friends, and loved ones killed by these imperial soldiers. As the MC walks slowly towards his/her parentsā€™ corpses, a soldier spotted him/her but before he swings his sword to the MC, an assassins in black came to rescue him/her.

And then, the MC was encourage that if he/she wanted to get his/her revenge, the MC should be stronger and intelligent enough to face his/her enemies. Finally, the MC was trained as a hunter/assassin in the hands of the assassins. The MC became an assassin until he/she became more intelligent turns into a house leader and became a imperial official inside of the palace, and until the MC will be entitled as ā€œThe Crown of Vengeanceā€

Features:

• play as a merciless killer, or a great assassin, or to be a protector of the people.
  • you can have a romance with your savior, your bestfriend, your rival, your enemy Imperial Heir/ress, Imperial official, and more, but most likely, there will be 4 to 6 romanceable characters: including one changeable gender.
  • you can have so many friends, and also many enemies.
  • you can do some wise tricks to defeat your enemies or use blades and arrows for swiftly solution, but be careful.

[Story is still in progress: +10,000 words, Prologue] Have a nice day and be safe. :slight_smile:

46 Likes

This sounds interesting.

2 Likes

I like it & am looking forward to playing it

2 Likes

It sounds interesting, but Iā€™m always a little bit wary when first time WIP authors have a crazy amount of variations. You want to write essentially 30 different romance variations (10 main routes x 3 different dynamics for them all), and while thatā€™s admirable, Iā€™m a bit scared that youā€™ve bitten off more than you can chew here.

20 Likes

this one would prbs be best for me, as I usually skip from one choice to another; staying on the path of any of those ā€œroutesā€ would be very hard lol

6 Likes

Greetings!

Itā€™s been a while. Some older lurkers of the Forum might remember me from my Land of Slaves and Steel days. Which Iā€™m not closing completely, but itā€™s very likely that will be in the back burner for a while.

Enough about that though!

Today I though Iā€™d gauge some interest in a new project I working on, that has some lore based in a novel Iā€™ve been writing. So, away we go.

(Rough, crappy title design I did. :stuck_out_tongue: sorry itā€™s sucks)

Story

Summary

The evil Lich, Zhaā€™ackh, has awoken from his ancient slumber. He has only one purpose. To open the Gates of Hell and resurrect his fallen master, the King of the Underworld, Drachkā€™zul.

But Zhaā€™ackh has woken up too early, his powers not strong enough to break all the seals that protect the Gates of Hell. With no other option, he destroys the first and vows to consume the souls of the damned to increase his power. Lesser demons flood the lands, razing countries to the ground. The rivers run red with innocent blood, and the world drops into an eternal twilight. Thousands die and Zhaā€™ackh drinks in their life, growing more powerful by the day. The end of the world is nigh.

You are a simple adventurer, and to be quite honest, you never expected the inn you slept at one fateful night would change your life forever. But, no one expects the town they chose to rest in would be razed to the ground by flaming demons. One against a dozen were not good odds, but you had no other choice. You fully expected to die, until a man donned in armor colored blacker than night rode in and slaughtered them all.

Duke Azzerad the Cruel was his name, and a life debt you incurred. His price? Follow his band of adventures to slay the Ancient Lich Zhaā€™ackh and save the world. Not too much to ask, is it?

Armed with only your measly skill, no money, and perhaps some wit, you embark on journey to save the world. One man, two elves, a halfling, and an orc, against all the armies of hell. Will you save the world? Or will it all go up in flames?

Phew. Letā€™s get some of the characters now.

Characters

Summary

Duke Azzerad Craymir

• Often called Duke Azzerad the Cruel or the Bloodthirsty Duke. He massacred his former family when his king ordered him to invade that country.

• Served the king of Wydryn, a country which has now been destroyed. He lead the armies of the king, conquering and razing other countries to the ground with no remorse. His tendency to uphold law no matter the circumstances has earned him a bad reputation, as well as his rumored bloodthirsty nature. This puts him at odds with Quini.

• Wears a set of black armor, and a carries a great-sword. He never removes his armor unless absolutely needed. This leads to rumors of awful deformity, or whispers of his half demon blood. Nothing is known for sure beyond his ruby red eyes.

• Not very talkative, chooses to either ignore others or be curt with them. He is stoic to a fault, but he has a strong sense of duty and justice.

• Romancable by all MCā€™s

Lyndirs Streiyl & Leandyr Streiyl

• Twin elves, one male, one female. Both are extremely gifted in magic and all things arcane. Leandyr, the brother, is a wizard. His sister, Lyndirs, is a healer.

• They are nobles who have run away from their crumbling homeland. The demons took over the elven lands early on because of the magic they possess, and killed most of the nobles. The twins believe they may be the only noble elves left.

• Leandyr is a shameless womanizer, a flirt, and extremely charming. He is used to a life of luxury and has been having difficulties being a runaway. He is also unversed in anything ā€œnormal folkā€ do, and often causes fights based on this alone.

• Lyndirs is a scholar, an academic, and is very quiet. She is extremely intelligent and has traveled the land far and wide in search of new knowledge. Often times she is the one who diffuses the situations her brother gets in. She was never fond of being noble, and would prefer a life of scholarly pursuit.

• Leandyr is romancable by Female MCā€™s and Lyndirs by Male

Quini

• A halfling bard who is famous for her flame colored hair. She is a kind soul who rose to fame playing songs for the poor or homeless in the many cities she travels to.

• Her shows are normally for small crowds of people, and her songs always seem to leave others feeling hopeful. She is shy, however, and does not enjoy the fame she is gained.

• Carries a bow, but is not very good at fighting. She hates the Duke, so no one is sure why she follows him. Despite her dislike of him, she performs for him if he asks. Her lute is her most prized possession.

• She refuses to speak of her past. She never reveals where she came from, who she is, or why she does what she does.

• Romancable by all MCs

Zorgulg Mahk

• An orc ex-slave who hates elves, his former slavers. He was once part of a slave rebellion to free all orc slaves and remake their fallen dynasty. The effort was destroyed by the demons, and now he seeks glory in saving the world to earn clemency for his kind.

• He despises the twins and the MC if they are an elf. Despite knowing not all elves are the same, just as no orc is the same, his past causes an instinctive dislike. He struggles with this rage from his past, and in order to deal with this he fights in a beserkir fashion.

• As a beserkir he uses a double-headed axe and light armor to fight in. The more he gets hurt to better he fights, but the after battle is very hard on him. He keeps a large stock of potions becuase he refuses to let Lyndirs heal him.

• Romancable by all MCs, excluding elves.

There is another I may add in order to tie it in completely, but he does not appear at the beginning. He is a pure blooded Fae with crimson hair and ice blue eyes.

I donā€™t have much done of it, and honestly have no idea how long it will take or when it will happen. But please look out for it! :slight_smile:

Cheers and happy readinā€™!

45 Likes

It sounds amazing :heart_eyes:. I would love to read it :smile:

2 Likes

The premise seems solid and the characters you describe all seem compelling and interesting; Iā€™d definitely give it a try on release.

One thing I think is worth pointing out, though, is that thereā€™s a pretty significant disparity in the RO distribution. Assuming the Fae RO is indeed added, there willā€”going by the pronouns usedā€”be twice as many male ROs as female, and of the two females present, only one is available to non-male MCs. A lesbian or female-romancing nonbinary MC hasā€¦exactly one option. Compare this to a straight female MC, who has at least two options, three if she happens to be anything other than an elf, and possibly even four depending on the availability and sexuality of the Fae RO.

Not sure how substantial romance is intended to be in this gameā€”if itā€™s not a big part of the story, this might not be a huge dealā€”but if itā€™s a sizable or significant component, I think this is worth seriously considering.

That issue aside, I do have a couple questions that might be a spoiler to answer, but: is it (eventually) possible for an elf MC to quell Zorgulgā€™s dislike of them, or even befriend him? Is it possible for a non-elf MC to help him come to terms with the twins? And are there are other romances or major relationships/storylines that are drastically affected by the MCā€™s race the way this is?

8 Likes

True! I hadnā€™t thought about that. I got burned out on so many romances early on in my last project. Xactor, the Fae, will not be Romancable, to tie into the plot of the book itself. Iā€™ll think about who I could add or maybe even have switch based on preference. Itā€™s early still so Iā€™m not sure.

Yes, it will be eventually possible for elves to be with Zorgulg. It will be a part of his personal story. A lot of them will have personal stories, and I will mention that some may have more bearing than others. Not so much as race important, but Duke Azzerad will have an important plot. They will all have their own stories though.

8 Likes

Ah, I misinterpreted what you meant when you talked about including Xactor in the character lineupā€”just assumed heā€™d be an RO like the others. That does make it feel a bit less imbalanced, and I totally understand not wanting to overload the game with ROs. All else being equal, Iā€™d still advocate for a greater range of female options, but I donā€™t mind waiting for you to figure out what you feel would make sense for the story/characters on that front.

Good luck with the project.

5 Likes

It looks interesting! It reminds me a lot of the Throne of Glass series of books, but it still seems really cool.

2 Likes