Interest Check Thread

Possibly working could pretty much anything if you are a good enough writer. However, there is, of course, the danger of some people not liking it; customization is, after all, a huge draw to hosted games and cog. But I’d argue that there are also some games that did very well with less customizable PCs.

I’d generally always say go after your vision first. There is likely someone that will end up liking it. (unless you are more about making money than having fun writing, but that’s a different beast altogether).

I personally am interested in sanity being a deciding factor for a story, so I’d likely give it at least a try ^^

4 Likes

I like your idea. It’s great.

Most people here come to these games exactly because, to a certain level, they can take the mantle of someone else of they can pretend they are in an adventure completely unrelated to their everyday life. That’s rpg.
Now, about the presets. I like the idea as it is something that, to my limited knowledge (if someone fids this wrong, please correct me), hasn’t been made in CoG or HG.
Which means, you’d have to build presets based on the most distiguishible aspects of personality, so that anyone could identify with at least one PC.
I would also suggest a possibility for the PC to change their personality through the game, as it is something standard but easier in CoG or HG, since character are costumizable.

Hope this helped

4 Likes

I concur with @OscarKane. Personally, I’m all for the idea. It sounds like a fresh take, and perhaps the idea is to play as something you don’t feel comfortable as? I like the theory and think you should run with it, but more than likely you lose some customers. Good luck!

2 Likes

whoa,

so I’m returning back here after had an idea to leave this place for good, been thinking that storytelling isn’t my forte, I was only good at imagining things but hard to pour them into words.

this pandemic makes me checking back to this forum, just to find something fun, wasting my lots of free time.

so, this is what I want to check:

  • are you guys still into war theme? I saw some WIPs and it lets you to choose your own eye color, even the name of your own mother, unnecessary choices imo, but somehow tells me what seems to be accepted nowadays.

  • are you ready to play as others but a king, not as someone who controls, but the powerless ones instead?

let me know what you think while I’m trying to re-learn the syntax,
any feedback are much appreciated

thank you

6 Likes

I understand why you might not like those kinds of choices if authors were simply trying to pad their word counts, but what about building immersion? Do you not agree that it adds another level of detail?

2 Likes

I don’t really enjoy too much details, blocking imagination.

I mean, while playing the game, I could assume what my character look like, the hairstyle, shoe size, how do my war cry sounds like when charging to enemy lines, and so on.

I hate too wordy screen, let’s say I’m in the tavern and there is a lady that catch my attention, details of the tavern, a mouse eating cheese at the corner, doesn’t matter much, but the lady should be detailed, the details follows what my character is looking at, it lets me feel what the character been going through.

I’m not trying to judge what’s right or wrong, just my own opinion on how do I enjoy text-based game.

speaking of word counts, what’s the minimum requirements?

3 Likes

Hi :wave: so I’ve never done anything like this but I’ve been lurking for a while, I have no idea how to code but I’m trying to learn as I have a few ideas in my head I can’t seem to get out any other way!

So if you guys could let me know if you like any of these ideas and maybe one day I’ll be able to actually make something!

  1. you play as the Park siblings, separated at a young age and raised under different truths and expectations when your paths cross it sends you both on a road to reunite and find a place together but will the past drive you further apart when your loyalties are questioned?

  2. you died. You know you died but yet here you are standing in the world you left behind, you don’t know why you’ve been given this second chance but when you become entangled with a private detective firm who are investigating a horrible murder will you find answers?

  3. You’ve been told you’re crazy your whole life, and you might be inclined to believe them, locked up in a hospital after delusions of being killed in all different ways begin to plague you, you are asked to try and identify the people you see in these episodes as the may not be just in your head.

I suck at synopsis and I’m writing this on my way to work so forgive me if they sound a little rubbish ha

12 Likes

For me these 3 stories are promising.
But stories 2 and 3 Will be very interesting.

I would love play a patient in a asylum . It’s intriguing. Great atmosphere !

Good Lucky and i look forward To reading your story

2 Likes

I would love to read 3! However, I believe 2 has already been done… I might be wrong but I’m like 90% sure.

2 Likes

I think this could be a very interesting and unique idea. I like the concept of the other characters reacting differently to you based on your PC backstory, as long as it doesn’t get too extreme in terms of locking out friendships or whatever, and being able to view their reactions beyond what we might normally see externally could be very powerful.

I will add that I am kind of leery on the idea of being able to make *choices for NPCs that have predefined personalities for a few reasons, and I think you would need to be very careful with how you handle those. Most of the games that I’ve seen handle this successfully had some sort of meta justification for why the player and/or player character could impose their personality onto other characters, though I don’t think that has to happen for a story like this to work. Do you have any thoughts on how you’d want to handle balancing NPC autonomy versus player control?

You don’t have to answer that of course, I just think it’s a neat idea and I’m curious to hear more. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This would be absolutely terrible to code for, and I can’t even imagine how you would go about doing this, but… what if you made a choice script game, where, in the game, the reader uses choice script tooooo… write a choice script game!

2 Likes

Longtime lurker, first time poster :sweat_smile: There’s an idea I’ve been thinking of more seriously that I may want to turn into a game? Let me know if it seems interesting, resembles another game too closely, or offer any advice really!

It’s definitely inspired by my favorite classic movie decades, the 1930s-1940s. It’s looking like it’ll have more of a noir feel to it since there will be mobsters, organized crime, a large gritty city, etc. Magic is a thing, or at least people are capable of having abilities, most can’t do too much damage but there are a few out there the government can’t even begin to know how to control or regulate.
The MC would be one of these people, currently working with a small-time crime boss as a sort of bodyguard. You get the chance to move up in the world and work with the top kingpin in the city who is obviously planning something that could make waves all over and he needs you and your ability (possibly abilities?) to do it. There would be options to work with (and/or romance) the kingpin, overthrow him, work with law enforcement to take him down, and maybe other variations within those options.

Aaaand that’s all I’ve got for now. Again, let me know what you think!

23 Likes

You had me at mobsters as a fan of the Italian mafia I am completely interested

2 Likes

There’s been plenty of mafia/noir games… but with magic?! That would be awesome! It’d be a completely fresh take on a common genre. Go for it!

3 Likes

Mobsters + magic I never seen anything like it. I’m all for it sounds great :ok_hand:

3 Likes

this is my first ever choicescript game so i do hope this interests y’all.

New World -

Your trip to New Orleans was meant to be the best birthday trip ever, filled with fun , partying and normalcy, but New Orleans is the complete opposite of normal. Filled with Vampires , Witches and even Werewolves. Will your trip be filled with horrifying memories or will it be the change your life needed?

You are a tourist that got lost during a tour guide in the bayou , you try to find your way back to the Quarter and stumble across a pack of werewolves! But your life did not end there , instead you awake in a room with two gorgeous women who saved your life from the pack. Little did you know , they saved you on purpose due to your “abilities” . Will you help the supernatural community from getting exposed or will you be the one to expose them?

22 Likes

I can’t help but feel the vibe reminding me of The Originals on this one. Sounds great, would definitely play

2 Likes

Sounds great

1 Like

definitely inspired by the originals, i haven’t seen any books that capture that new orleans supernatural community vibe so thats what im going for!

5 Likes

Well in that case I’m even more excited to see this become a game

3 Likes