Interest Check Thread

For a moment, I thought that this would be a retelling of George Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion. But, that being said, the original myth is also fine. I’m interested to see where you take this, seeing as how there’s not a lot of potential for branching solely from the original myth (I’m not familiar with the play). I suggest the title “Aphrodite’s Gift.”

3 Likes

Well I got it down to the sci-fi and urban fantasy one. Do I know which I prefer? No. There are warring factions in my brain trying to figure out which one I like best and they are at a stalemate. Whatever you choose, I’m sure it will be great!

2 Likes

@Logan_T Thanks! It looks like urban fantasy is winning out at the moment but people seem pretty attached to both. Perhaps I can do an urban fantasy with a bit of a cyberpunk twist… :sparkles:

1 Like

That would be interesting to see. Perhaps we were once an ordinary person who got selected to become a genetically altered person (either against our will or willingly maybe based on the players choice) and end up with a rag tag team of supernatual investigators after being saved by a group of smugglers. Or some other way to combine them together. Anyway you do it. I’m sure it will be a really interesting game to play

2 Likes

Hi all! :blush:

Also a lurker / first-time poster with a love for CoG/HGs, and wanted to throw out the idea of a game I’ve been writing!

Working Title between “Without Names”, “Thread of Names” (was also considering “Nameless” but I think there is a game called this already on dashingdon?). Would gladly take any suggestions haha.

The story is fantasy, in a world where the mortal population (mortalis) now mostly live in separate “oasis cities”, since the land between each one has slowly become barren. You, however, act as a member of one of the four sheevra clans (basically fey / based on stories about fey). Since you’ve gained consciousness, you’ve known the mortalis are responsible for creating the deserts between the cities, draining the world of its magic, and that it’s up to you to take that energy back so the sheevra can slowly restore the world’s more verdant state.

You’ve been taught to do this by locking them into deals, taking their memories, or ideally, finding out a mortalis’ name. But it doesn’t always come easy. Most mortalis are paranoid about the existence of your people, and as such, the world has become a place where most go by their profession, or else choose a fake name to live their life under. Knowing someone’s actual name is usually the most intimate secret a person can offer.

The game starts when you’re sent to another city after an entire sheevra clan disappears seemingly overnight, and you have to find out what happened before it comes for you.

I’ve always loved character development, relationships, and romance entrenched in a story, so there is a focus on those. Hoping to put out a demo in the next month or two, but would love an interest check and any feedback on generic story/mechanics. More details below!

Player Details

The player chooses name, gender, sexuality, and appearance variables, as well as one of the following sheevra races (so far):

• Dryad [Bonus to Elemental Magic]
  • Unseelie [Bonus to Illusion Magic]
  • Leanhaun [Bonus to Pathos Magic]

More on Magic in Stats.

Stats

The MC’s stats are split into Personality, Mortalis Interactions, Magic & Might, and Relationships
As of now, I’ve been coding:
Personality:
Honest vs Deceptive
Persuasive vs Intimidating
Sarcastic vs Serious
Open vs Evasive (open vs closed-off maybe? Might be too close to honest vs deceptive)

Mortalis Interactions
These dictate how you interact with the mortalis, whether you change your view on them, etc:
Empathetic vs Callous
Curious vs Apprehensive

Magic & Might
There is a scale of preference towards using magic vs using physical strength.
Might is broken down into Strength and Agility
Magic is broken down into three schools: Elemental, Illusion, and Pathos.

Elemental: The chaos of nature is intuitive to you, and you are proficient in magic utilizing the elements.
Illusion: Deception is the game you play, and conjuring hallucinations and apparitions is what you’re best at
Pathos: An opponent’s emotions are your best weapon, and you excel at manipulation.

Relationships
One page for information on the ROs you interact with and quick information on them. Their names change depending on your relationship and the more you find out.

The other page is for your relationship with your Clan and the other three sheevra clans depending on your decisions.

The Sentiments

These are vials of memories you’ve collected with different effects depending on who ingests them. Game-mechanic wise, they can be used as an instant-success, or else to throw a little chaos into a situation. Still deciding if there is a way for you to restore these, or if they are a one-and-done deal.

The player starts out with one of each, and they come in pairs, totaling six:
Delight, Despair | Devotion, Repulsion | Fury, Fright

ROs

There are four ROs (I say ROs for ease, but also definitely plan on a no-romance route :slight_smile:), all gender swappable depending on player choice, listed in meeting order:

"The Healer"
One of the first people you meet on arriving at the new city, they point you to what eventually becomes your home base, and are known as being a friendly and open person.

"The Magesmith"
An artificer of sorts with a brass left forearm. Generally very closed off and snarky.

"The Sage"
A scholar at the city’s Archival Library, and a firm believer in the sheevra, despite close ties with the mortalis government.

"Oisein"
Another sheevra from your clan who comes to help investigate, extremely sarcastic and keeps their emotions bottled up. You can choose your past with them, whether you are barely friends, close friends, or thought there might be something more?

Thank you so much for any feedback and I hope to share more in the future! :smile:

42 Likes

Sounds interesting to me! I like the kind of restoring nature premise, especially in the fantasy/fey context. The sentiments sounds like a really interesting mechanic that I’d be curious to see utilized as well.

2 Likes

Thank you! Hope I can do it justice :blush: And yes, still playing around with the Sentiments. Mainly of whether it’ll be straightforward and you’ll know exactly what using one will do in a confrontation, or else if it will be a vague instant-success with unknown consequence later on. I‘m leaning towards the latter for The Intrigue/The Angst haha, but maybe a mix of the two?

Definitely something to still iron out anyway :smile:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Valhalla

This would be awesome! Please run with it

2 Likes

Thank you for your enthusiasm. I am working hard to create a wip demo for mid September (hopefully!)

2 Likes

Hello all, this is our first post on the forums. Nice to meet everyone! We’re Kody & Kitana of Cosmic Horizons Interactive and we’re working together to design our first interactive game with the intention of publishing with Hosted Games. We wanted to send out some feelers to see what everyone thinks of our first project idea. Thanks for taking the time to read! We can’t wait to hear what you all think. We are open to all comments, feedback and constructive criticisms.

Title:

Summary

Quantum Velocity

Genre:

Summary

Science Fiction Adventure/Space Opera

Game Concept Overview:

Summary

In Quantum Velocity, a high flying, action-packed, futuristic space opera, you are captain of a ragtag crew of licensed mercenaries operating a Marauder Class starship under the oversight of The Galactic Syndicate. Accept lucrative contracts and complete dangerous missions to earn credits. Improve your prestige or notoriety within The Galactic Syndicate, and secure your crew’s loyalty. Explore alien worlds, forge alliances, and get rich or die trying.

Customize your captain, choosing your species, gender, bio-tech enhancements and more. Trick out your starship, using those hard-earned credits to finance the latest tech, systems, software and bling. Boost your crew’s devotion with tasty rations, exotic booze, shore leave excursions, a share of the profits and maybe even indulge in illicit fraternization.

Time sensitive missions, stature based contracts and relationship dependent errands and assignments offer hundreds of hours of re-playability! In the Scorpius Constellation, the treacherous borderland between Alliance and Pelagian space, even the smallest decision may have universal repercussions.

Key Features:

Summary

Key Features

• Identify as female, nonbinary, male or any other gender of your choosing—with options to play as asexual, bisexual, demisexual, gay, pansexual, straight or xenosexual.
  • Customize your captain’s species, background, personality, morality and appearance.
  • Are you a Bio-Techer obsessed with installing the latest in biotech enhancements and upgrades? Are you an Anti-Techer with a distrust or hatred of biotech, preferring to rely on less invasive weaponry, armor and tech? Or are you something in between? Remember all power comes at a cost.
  • Choose sides in the ongoing hostilities between The Cooperative Stellar Alliance and the Pelagian Empire or stay neutral.
  • Accept time sensitive missions and stature based contracts to earn credits and improve your prestige or notoriety within The Galactic Syndicate, and amongst the denizens of the Scorpius Constellation. As a mercenary-for-hire you can’t be everywhere at once, so choose your missions wisely!
  • Invest your hard earned credits and trick out your starship with the most advanced weaponry, hi-tech defensive systems, and invaluable software.
  • Complete special achievements to earn bragging rights, companion perks and starship bling.
  • Engender dedication in your crew members through tasty rations, exotic booze, shore leave missions, companion initiated operations and a share of the profits.
  • Engage in illicit fraternization with a crew member or find love on an alien world.
  • Use alliances, mission decisions, morality, personality traits and skills to engineer your own unique play style.
  • Immerse yourself in the Scorpius Constellation through rich lore, extraordinary environments, engaging stories and vibrant characters.

Stats:

Summary

Reputation & Versus Stats

Syndicate Stature

Prestige vs Notoriety within The Galactic Syndicate

Galactic Alignment

Cooperative Stellar Alliance vs Pelagian Empire

BioTech Effect

Emotionality vs Rationality

Esprit de Corps

Relationships with Companions

Level 1 - Departure Level/Achievement Level (Crew Member Leaves Your Ship/Bling)

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5 - Starting Point (Neutrality)

Level 6

Level 7

Level 8

Level 9 - Achievement Level (Companion Perk)

Esprit de Monde

Reputation with specific species, planets and/or solar systems

Level 1 - Most Wanted Achievement (Arrest Level/Bling)

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5 - Starting Point (Neutrality)

Level 6

Level 7

Level 8

Level 9 - Achievement Level (Bling)

Skills

• Biotic Force

• Guts Over Fear

• Ingenuity

• Magnetism

• Midas Touch

• Strategic Analysis

• Terminal Velocity

Personality Traits

• Candor
    • Dishonest, Evasive vs Honest, Frank
  • Chaos
    • Impulsive, Disorganized vs Disciplined, Careful
  • Grit
    • Prefers Routine, Practical vs Spontaneous, Imaginative
  • Initiative
    • Reserved, Loner, Follower vs Outgoing, Social, Leader
  • Turbulence
    • Calm, Confident vs Anxious, Pessimistic
  • Vigilance
    • Suspicious, Uncooperative vs Trusting, Helpful

Equipment/Inventory Options

Summary

Inventory/Equipment Options - (All inventory and equipment will receive better/more interesting names as we write, this is just a starting point)

Bio-Techer (cost to emotionality increases with each Bio-Tech installed)
  • Biotech enhancement weaponry

• Biotech enhancement armor

• Biotech enhancement equipment

Anti-Techer (cost to rationality increases with each Bio-Tech declined)

• Standard weapons

• Standard armor

• Standard equipment

Starship
  • Weaponry

• Defense Systems

• Software

• Achievement Bling

Expendable Resources

Summary
  • Credits (Main Currency)
  • Biotech Vouchers (Secondary Currency)
  • Constitution (Health - PC); Shields (Health - Starship)
  • Spark (Stamina); Engines (Stamina/Power Level - Starship)

Companions/Romance Options

Summary
Crew Members

First Officer: Abrazim Merlock - 93 years old (the equivalent of 37 in our human years - 135.05 Stellarphases) The former Therion captain of a Cooperative Stellar Alliance long-haul freighter, the C.S.S. Abolition. Therions are a humanoid species with reptilian characteristics. Therion is a slave nation of the Pelagian Empire. Some Therions have been lucky enough to escape to Alliance space. Abrazim has an obsession with Earth History, specifically Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War. He is over 9 feet tall and insists on wearing a Victorian style Top Hat. He is Neru’s adoptive father, having taken her under his wing when he found her stowed away on the Abolition 15 years ago. Abrazim is asexual. His species is much like penguins in that the females lay eggs which the males fertilize, incubate and nurture after hatching. So while sex may be off the table, romance isn’t. Under his gruff and cold-blooded exterior Abrazim harbors a heart of gold.

Helm/Navigation/Pilot: Neru Amazi - An exiled Nubasi princess with a distinctive Nautilus shaped scar across her right eye and cheekbone. The last remaining Daughter of Kandake capable of “Speaking Peace” Neru was born immune to the destructive symptoms of The Nautilus Strand. Her parents died smuggling her off their home world on a freighter ship. The Nubasi were a matriarchal society until a shadowy group called The Lodge of Patronicists and her own life mate, Patron Elder Kendo Meriassi, overthrew their Kandah-kes (queen) Sirrana. Verdant green skin in varying shades, golden eyes and the ability to influence the actions, emotions, and thoughts of male Nubasi and to a lesser degree males of other species are characteristic of Nubasi females. The Lodge developed a retrovirus designed to block this ability in all females and resulted in a distinctive Nautilus shaped scarification on the faces of the women affected. There are no “known” Nubasi females with the scarification marker immune to the virus. Nubasi age at a rate similar to humans. Neru is bisexual and in her early 20s, though her exact age is unknown.

Engineering: Ratchet - A human of African/Asian descent, joined your crew to elude a clandestine research group within the Cooperative Stellar Alliance known as Division 13. Ratchet has no memory of his name or life before awakening naked on the filthy floor of a bathroom in a hostel on Sigma Cratis with nothing but a mysterious encoded holodisk, a series of unusual biotech enhancements and an extensive knowledge of engineering. He’s spent years trying to decode the information on the disk. So far all he’s discovered is that he was Bio-Teched against his will during a series of illegal experimentations in controversial biotech enhancements conducted by the Cooperative Stellar Alliance. Code Name: Reliquary. Ratchet is bisexual.

Medic/Cook/Counselor: Cleric - The Purging of Gahn’kon Temple, was the last in a horrifying series of attacks during The War of Right Walking, a genocidal holy war against a non-secular religious order of pansexual Warrior Priests on Hi’iaka, a moon of the planet Haumea. Cleric was Gahn’kon’s lone survivor. Despite his terrible past, Cleric possesses an upbeat and humorous outlook. A Haumean native, he possesses prismatic eyes and ankle-length thick wavy bright blonde hair which he wears in a series of ceremonial braids. Cleric is tall, almost 7’3”, and muscular with dark tanned skin, adorned with intricate full body tattoos (gold and silver, but shimmery like diamonds). The tattoos are all religious symbols unique to his Order, the Hi’ianta.

Security/Tactical: El’sef Zend’ra - El’sef is a former soldier, forced to undergo a ceremonial Shunning and resulting banishment from her homeworld, Zend, a militaristic planet in the Alpha Centauri System, after disobeying the direct orders of a superior officer. The Zendi are a gender-fluid race, mostly female in appearance, but of no set gender displaying varying degrees of blue, purple and turquoise skin in multiple shades, sweeping cranial crests instead of hair, silvery eyes and melodic voices. Their lifespans are long, sometimes thousands of years. Zendi reproduce once in a lifetime through Agamogenesis. During which process they pass on not only their genetic material, but the genetic memories of their lives and those of their ancestors to their offspring. El’sef is only 526 Stellarphases old, relatively young (early 20s) in Zendi years. Zendi are a demisexual species.

Operations/Transporation/Cargo: Mora-i - Mora-i, a Corvan smuggler, is wanted in over two dozen systems in both the Cooperative Stellar Alliance and Pelagian Empire. She plays her cards close to her chest and is slow to speak of her past. Corvans are an endangered, bird-like, humanoid species who lost their planet, long before the forming of the Cooperative Stellar Alliance, to a mysterious “Armageddon event” of which the Corvans refuse to speak. They possess beaked noses on otherwise humanoid faces and feathery plumes in varying lengths and vibrant colors instead of hair on their heads, arms, backs and legs. The Corvan’s spread across the galaxy after their mass planetary exodus, taking up residence and finding work where they could over the millennia, but their ethereal appearance, squawking native language, and secretive natures led to a common distrust of the species. Most have taken up trades of a less reputable nature in response. Corvan’s are xenosexual by necessity as their species’ numbers continue to dwindle to near extinction levels.

Mission Based Encounters

Various other mission, contract, and exploration based Romantic Options are available throughout Quantum Velocity. There will be multiple opportunities to interact with potentially romance-able NPCs on different planets, spaceports and way stations.

Player Character Customization Options

Summary

First and Last Names

Gender (Including a write-in option)

Pronouns (Including a write-in option)

Background (Select from several pre-written background option combinations)

Species (Human, Therion, Haumean, Zendi, Half-Corvan/Half-Another Species Choice, Nubasi and more)

Appearance (Options based on species choice)

Personality, Morality, Alignment and Biotech Enhancements (all integrated via story choices)

An original and adaptive skill system to fully customize your roleplay experience.

So that’s our basic idea of the overall gameplay/mechanics/story. Each set of missions/contracts will be a mini-storyline unto itself and there will be no way to complete every available mission/contract in a single playthrough.

If you’ve read through all that may the space angels bless you! We really appreciate you taking the time to check out our idea! Thank you!

We look forward to hearing your impressions! Do you think this would be an interesting/suitable/enjoyable game? Can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

• Kody & Kitana
30 Likes

No notes, everything about this sounds awesome. Sci-fi fan here so I would love to see this turned into a game!

@CorvusWitchcraft I feel bad for not pointing that out myself now :slightly_frowning_face: but good call I agree.

3 Likes

Excellent! Thank you so much @Autumn19 ! :rocket:

3 Likes

Well, I’m intrigued by the premise—we could use more sci-fi CS games IMO. You appear to have thought a great deal of the game’s structure through already, which is a good sign.

One thing I’d note—I’m not inherently opposed to characters having set sexualities ('twould be hypocritical if I was, since my own WIP does the same), but if I’m reading this correctly, the only gender-related restrictions seem to be straight crew members, meaning gay MCs appear to be at an inherent disadvantage in the RO department. More specifically, since Neru is straight and Mora-i is the only other strictly female crew member (I’m not counting El’sef even though she seems to use female pronouns, since Zendi are identified as genderfluid), lesbian MCs—and nonbinary MCs exclusively attracted to female ROs—have only one option. That’s not necessarily a deal-breaker for me, but it might turn some people away.

(I’ll note that I also miiight be a little biased since Neru was the RO I was most interested in right off the bat—not yet sure how I feel about Mora-i—but I also think it’s a potential concern in general, as well.)

9 Likes

Nothing’s set in stone yet as far as sexualities go, we will definitely look into this. We want the story to be as inclusive and full of options as possible. Thanks for pointing that out @CorvusWitchcraft !

5 Likes

@CorvusWitchcraft Kody and I discussed it and we decided what we want above all else is inclusivity so all our formerly “straight” characters will be reclassified as “bisexual” to offer more options for our players.

9 Likes

I’ve started writing my interactive novel and it’s in a supernatural/horror
The setting is in a boarding school and it’s inspired by the supernatural TV series

So the plot goes like this

wip plot

it’s your first day at a boarding school for students Hoping to get into college.You play a strange game with your roommates and friends,it was suppose to be harmless joke on you, until the weird stuffs started happening.Now must find a way to solve the problem lest you and all who played the game are done for.

I need help and suggestions on how the plot feels…and cliches that could be avoided etc.
Once I’m done with the first chapter I’ll open a thread.

16 Likes

Sounds interesting. A kind of deal w/ the devil vibe to it

2 Likes

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I’m in a bit of a bind and I’m hoping that I might gather some feedback from the forum to better decide which way I should walk down in this metaphorical crossroads of mine.

Since the onset of this pandemic, I, like many people, have really sought out simple comforts during this hellscape scenario:

I upped my baking game and now have a killer carrot cake recipe in my back pocket at all times.

I amassed a mini jungle of houseplants, which in turn scored their own handcrafted plant stand, that are currently sunning themselves besides me as I type all this.

I’ve also successfully sunk in another couple hundred hours into Stardew Valley and I’ve been religiously rewatching films from my childhood in an uncontrolled nostalgia binge. It is this pair of particular practices which is where this wild, wonderful quandary really stems from.

Around the start of summer I lined up the (subjectively) perfect triple feature for a spooky summer solstice: Kiki’s Delivery Service, Hocus Pocus, and Practical Magic. After 4 hours of lighthearted witchery, the synapses in my mind were all aglow as the seeds of an interactive story, what I affectionately call “Grimoire”, took root and blossomed.

“Grimoire: Gatherings of a Hedgewitch”

Summary

“Grimoire” basically exists as an excuse to combine two of my favorite things: the cottagecore aesthetic & practical witchcraft. The premise is…

The oncoming new millennium looms overhead as you, a young hedgewitch, come of age and take up roost in a dilapidated hermitage outside of a quaint, little town none the wiser to the danger that lurks on the horizon.

Play as female, male, or non-binary – with options to be straight, gay, bisexual, or ace.

Cater to the whims of your familiar, Hyssmay the grimalkin (available in the following three options: chonk, gremlin, and all-seeing-void-of-fluff).

Pick a concentration of practical witchcraft that your small plot of land will specialize and sustain. Perhaps you would like to cultivate a garden that grows ginormous fruit and veg. Possibly, you find flowers more your favor and would like to spend your time putting together bewitching bouquets tied together with hidden charms or well-earned hexes. Or, maybe you’d like your own greenhouse of poisonous plants to offer patrons the choice of life or death – for a price.

Speaking of price, have the choice to setup shop and sell your wares at the local Farmer’s Market, from the comfort of your own cottage, or be benevolent and give away your goods for the greater good.

Juggle this with a town that has just recently been released from a protection spell and is now a prime spot for wandering supernatural. Take it upon yourself to blanket the town once again in a spell of protection or let the mortals fend for themselves as they are descended upon by both unprecedented predators as well as innocuous visitors.

Form relationships and attachments to a laundry list of complicated characters that include: a vampire with ulterior motives; a werewolf with a chip of their shoulder; a beached and seemingly-mute siren; a power tripping fae, a witch-in-arms, or a plain ol’ human!

The plan is to have this story completed in three parts.

TLDR; It’s 1999, baby! You’re young, dumb, and ready to get up to some witchy shit. Well, best settle in quick because the town you’ve decided to call your own is filling up fast with other supernaturals. Manage and cultivate the land in this witch-centric role-playing, farm-simulator that has hints of a supernatural dating otome.

However, time has not been on my side and I have not been able to devote the time needed to turn out a playable product, aka I’ve written the prologue and some of the first chapter but have not even begun to look at the process of coding. Recently, there have been a few fantastic WIPs of a similar nature that have me questioning if anyone would be interested in my own interpretation.

I’ve been wallowing in that pit of self-doubt for the past couple of days.

Until last night, where I had just the barest hint of a new idea. This project, as it is, exists as little more than a premise in the far reaches of my imagination.

“Thus far, Untitled”

Summary

An interactive story where you play from the perspective of a child that has been kidnapped and exchanged for a changeling by a fae creature. Navigate the trials and tribulations of being a mortal in the supernatural otherworld.

I was thinking the main conflict, after a few chapters devoted to the development of the player, might be a journey to help another mortal escape from the bounds of the otherworld and return to the mortal realm.

Romances and relationships in this game would be of a more fantastical nature: centaurs, fauns, harpies, nagas, minatours, mermaids, ect. None of these examples are locked in yet, so if you have any monsters of this type that you would like to see included than please let me know. On the lookout for hybrid-human monsters – human intellect and emotion coupled with bestial features.

Either way, it would appear that I would just to write about romancing some monsters.

So, should I plow through and continue with my first grand game design or move forward with the second suggestion?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

• “Grimoire: Gatherings of a Hedgewitch”
  • “Thus far, Untitled”

0 voters

15 Likes

Personally, while I agree there are some WIPs with similar plots to the hedgewitch story, I don’t think that’s a saturated market or that you couldn’t put up a good and interesting story of your own, with your own voice and perspective on it. Obviously if you want to go for the second one then by all means do so -it also sounds promising imo - but I guess I just mean I don’t think you need to scrap the first. So, uh, you do you :slight_smile:

3 Likes