Interest Check Thread

Well I hate to be rude, but I found your summary to be a bit vague. it’s a interesting idea don’t get me wrong! I wouldn’t mind haveing more information about why the MC got kicked out and what the MC was before.

I know that you where ousted for an accusation of treachery but why where you accused? Was it out of fear?

As for question number 2: it says that you:

Yet I can’t help but wonder if you were something else then a demon before, or the characters have just dubbed you one out of fear.

1 Like

There are better topics to post that question/presumption: Ultimate Noob Coding - #432 by Szaal

However, I’d quickly guess that it could be done (though very probably not “supported” … and therefore maybe not “publishable”). Worth an ask on the above link.

3 Likes

Oh, interesting. I didn’t realize it could be possible.

Still, I’m not sure if it would be worthwhile to try if it’s ultimately not publishable. Audio doesn’t have a crucial part in the story itself. It’s basically just for setting the mood of situations etc. which can be done without audio as well.

1 Like

I am absolutely not (for once, at least!) making it up :wink:

1 Like

Oh there’s actually support for it? That’s surprising. Good to know!

1 Like

I just never saw a game with sound so I assumed there couldn’t be…

EDIT: Any thoughts on the story itself by the way?

1 Like

You’re all good. I just haven’t had time to create every little detail yet. I do however, have a general idea of what I want and what direction I’ll be taking. There are some things I want any potential readers to find out while reading as I don’t want to put the entire concept into the summary. Which includes the demon thing :eyes:. For your first question however I can give you this; MC isn’t very well liked for a particular reason which sparked the accusation later on. I’m not sure if I want to add different origin stories yet but that will be decided soon. MC may or may not have been a bad person before being a Hero.

5 Likes

Cause it was inspired by it.

1 Like

I have a lot of differnt ideas but I’d say the one I’d want most is Time Traveler/ Reality Jumper. Example: you come from the future back to the age of pirates and explain how they screwed up historically guiding them.

Or example: Your Character goes into Hobby of Chairs their favorite series and tries to save people by using their knowledge of the series. And by taking actions to change the future you can possibly make them worse for yourself and your favorite characters.

6 Likes

I tested it and sound does actually work! I’m amazed that I’ve never seen sound used before. Is there any reason for that?

2 Likes

I’m trying to decide if I should be offended!? :wink:

If you look at the marketing, at least of the Official Games, much is made of “just text” and “powered only by your awesome imagination” … So that would be my guess.

That’s not to say you shouldn’t do it … Nor that someone else, somewhere, hasn’t … I did see someone working away at including images - in a hoped for HG title - somewhere on these boards, not too long ago. :man_shrugging: Nike (and see what folk think)?

1 Like

Sound set ups in CS is rather crude. The only commands available is literally just two: play and stop. I’d expect more functionalities to make sound/soundtrack a more integral part of a game instead of something like an afterthought, such as fade-in/out, pause, and looping.

1 Like

Hey Hey Hey! It’s ya boi Eli once again. Here to announce the Demo of the wip I’ve been so excited about. I decided to call it. The Burning of Ley Romn. I hope some people like it, but since its brand spakin new it wont look so hot at first. But hey! It is what it is! Have a good night!

5 Likes

So I am working on a game that is a tie-in with my book series Zombiearth. It will work as a backstory for a trio of siblings in my book series as well as putting the reader in the Zombiearth Universe. So far how the storyline is going to work out (still editing and revising narrative) is you are separated from your family at the beginning of the outbreak, (four specifically) but you will get to meet back up with them eventually. I already have spouse/significant other, (wife, husband, person, gf, bf) parent, (dad, mom, nonbinary parent, step-dad, step-mom, step-parent) grand parent, (grandpa, grandma, grand parent) aunt, uncle, cousin, (female, male, nonbinary) child, (daughter, son, nonbinary child), and close friend (male, female, nonbinary). I’ve limited your option to only be able to select one spouse/significant other and two parents, if you want to have a side person, it will have to be a character from the game (sorry) I’m debating in not even having skills but undecided right now. But here’s a few questions I have and any other input would be appreciated.

QUESTION 1: Should I include a nonbinary choice for aunt/uncle?

Question 2: Is having four relatives enough or not? Or would you prefer not to have this aspect?

Question 3: Would you prefer to have skills or not? If I do include skills would having your occupation prior to the outbreak be fine to set your base skills or would you prefer to build your character’s skills?

Question 4: Did I miss any other relatives or should I make an “other” choice?

Question 5: Should I have a limit on parents? Or should I just limit 2 male, 2 female, 2 non-binary parents?

So far I am nearly done with chapter 1 (minus editing and revising) with roughly 3 different branches; two of which you can strike out on your own and either stay by yourself or join some other characters or back with your original group. The only characters who will have any plot armor will be the siblings in the book series, everyone else will NOT have plot armor. If there is anything else I can think of I’ll ask later.

7 Likes

I already noticed I forgot siblings :rofl:

1 Like

You and the rest of humanity wake up in a whole new world and learn the “realm” you came from died. Earth, the void of space, everything.
Kind of like an entire dimension got run over by truck kun.

At least now you got that dog you asked for. Well he’s more like a volunteer assistant to get your family accustomed to their situation.

Cats and lizards live in a steampunk type society.

Birds and goats live in the rocks with wind power.

Dogs live wherever they can help.

8 Likes

I sense lots and lots of family drama with your game. I look forward to seeing your work/demo!

Question answers

1.) So I have a question to start off with… Do you have a reason you don’t want to include a nonbinary choice for the aunt/uncle? It seems like you have a nonbinary choice for everyone else, so I’m confused as to why you’re asking this. Story related reasons? Or are you worried because aunt/uncle isn’t a gender neutral term (I’m not nonbinary myself, so can’t really give an answer about the subject)? Otherwise I say the extra options will always be great. :+1:

2.) To prevent a coding nightmare, four is enough. Personally I’m all for having family drama because angst in a zombie world.

3.) Would love to have skills! Can result in tense situations if you fail a check.
Setting occupation would be easier at the beginning and prevent a long customization sequence…Definitely easier to balance around too. Learning survival skills and/or the skills you missed out on as the outbreak goes on would be cool too. Basically I like a mix of both if possible. Yep, I’m that reader.

4.) Don’t think you’ve missed any other relatives that you haven’t mentioned already. Not sure who else could be the “other” choice except for the close friend or “side person[s]”?

5.) Limit. To prevent a coding nightmare (again). As interesting as it would be to have parents in a poly relationship, that will result in more work on your end. Unless you’re willing to of course. Also idea with only a single parent alive and/or parents divorced? :thinking:

Three whole different branches? Sweet! We have a lone wolf route (but being the coward that I am, I’ll never do this one :laughing:). Just be careful that it doesn’t result in, er, how to put this…“three stories in one game” situation.

Yikes. Without the plot armor, I’m pretty sure everyone else will die on my playthrough. :joy: Oh and the inevitable question, do you have plans for ROs? Or is this purely a family trying to live through a zombie apocalypse.

Edit: Wait, I just realized we have a spouse/gf/bf. Disregard the RO spoiler question. That’ll teach me to read half asleep!

1 Like

It’s alright, you don’t have to select one of the four family members as a spouse/significant other. I want to have it “your story” so you can even choose just four close friends. BUT to answer your question yes, you can have RO’s even if you select a SO as a family member, it will be a set up for some real post apocalyptic drama :wink: the different branches will just be a lead into how you discover your family membersdates, alone, with the siblings from my book series, or with another group. Thanks for the interest.

4 Likes

Hi there, choice forums! It’s been an awful lot of time since I last wandered around here. Shame on you, uni. Long story short, though, I finally got around to writting the beginning of a demo for a game, but got stuck on how I should promote it after reading that marketing to the right audiences is important to get your game more exposure and, well, a fanbase on the first place. Also on the topic that sci-fi isn’t exactly as well-known on CoG label as, let’s say, fantasy, romance, or supernatural.

That said, my game, basically, revolves around a brand-new medical technology that allows people to get inside patient’s dreams, to either spot early signs of stress or anxiety disorders, to get a better understanding of how X event affected a person’s psyche, or to make sure X person is telling the truth and did not, let’s say, kill someone else or steal the McGuffinTM.

Of course, given that the technology is pretty new and opinions will differ a lot about the matter and thorough the characters, the plan is to allow the player to take sides (either support the Dream Project, destroy it, or stay totally neutral, if that’s possible). The idea is to explore how medicaments and treatments work, why sometimes they don’t work, and if it’s moral or not to try these even if the goal is to help others. I don’t want to idealise it, but rather show all sides of the matter.

…that’s why I’m not sure how it should be marketed. Yes, it’s sci-fi-y in the sense of a new technology that doesn’t exist yet, so it should fall under soft sci-fi… but should I rather promote it as that, or as an adventure/mystery story to overthrow (or help) the rise of a new and possibly harmful technology? Or even as a “phychological-styled adventure through the depths of the mind”… yeah, probably not that last one. I wouldn’t read that…

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

10 Likes

Sci-fi is pretty broad - pretty much encompassing anything that is both scientific and fictitious - so you could market this as regular sci-fi. “Sci-fi adventure” sounds more like Star Wars/Trek to me. Sci-fi thriller? Sci-fi drama?

2 Likes