Inquiring with You!

@13ventrm “So. . .yeah. Or you could just do werewolves. That’d be neat.”

Oh what jocularity! Most amusing.

@13ventrm I knew about that game before and it sounded pretty interesting… but after reading your experiences of it, I want to play it all the more so that I can shove its attempt at judging me in its face after manipulating me into eroding my own soul. XD

“Hell, yeah, it was me. Now, do YOU wanna say something about it?”

I second the vote for Lovecraftian monsters; the only problem with that type of beast though (and its a problem i’m having to deal with in my own in progress game) is that they tend to remain off stage for large portions of the fiction and are undescribably horrible when they do appear, great for fiction but I feel possibly a little unsatisfying in a game. Looking forward to seeing what you do though :slight_smile:

Indeed it is a struggle. I think you need a lot of spooky non-monster related fillers. Well thought out fillers, like finding a body stuck to the ceiling.

“…great for fiction but I feel possibly a little unsatisfying in a game.”

I’m not sure I agree with Largejo’s sentiments. Firstly because storygames ARE fiction, but also because so much of a CYOA relies on your audience using their imaginations, anyway. However, I would say it’s a tricky thing for a writer to pull off, since it all comes down to their ability to impress the reader with imagery (however vague) and a sense of the terrifying.

@RainsfordXY That’s a fair point. Showing what your monsters are capable of doing (and thus why we should be so afraid of them) is almost more important than the monsters themselves.

Perhaps you could have the protagonist see someone they know attacked from a distance? Or otherwise know that something horrible is happening, but isn’t *quite* able to observe or interact directly for whatever reason.

How vulnerable a character do we play as ?
Because to a kid just a simple grown up could be crazy scary

@dreamshell: That’s fine everyone is entitled to their opinion :slight_smile: I was referring more to monsters being kept off stage until the final encounter perhaps not being as satisfying in a game, describing them can use all the same tricks and methods of regular (non-interactive) fiction, I completely agree.

Who knows? Maybe it would work - i’m not expert LOL :slight_smile:

Right, well essentially I’ve adopted a “Now you see me now you don’t” method, along with a kind of something or other is lurking under my bed. Its not just a single monster, but a variety of atrocities, all of which are unique. I just previewed the first up close scene with one of the lesser monsters in another post, and tried to make a detailed yet vague descript of it using less solid descriptions and more of an abundance of metaphors.

But I the best part is how helpless you will be in several of the parts. Sure you might have a gun or big stick at one moment, but the next you may be fumbling around in the dark being hunted. So I know my plot, but should there be more occult affiliation or more of a primortial beast affialiation.

Either way I am learning so much about the horror genre of gaming while doing this, and although I have the utmost confidence in this work, if it doesn’t fit the bill this time around, I will be ready for the next one. Either way, ladies and gentlemen you have my word I will produce the best material I can muster forth for you.

I think between occult and primordial two crazy things I would go with occult because its the crazy that’s around, I have met people that have pentagram tattoos and own necronomicons but a primordial creature that’s just silly lol

@Largejo Hmm. In that particular case, then, you may be right, I don’t know. Of course it would probably be smarter to have other encounters than just the Big Bad at the end. Various minions or lesser creatures and suchlike, both to keep our interest and to build the final/“king” monster up even more.

Can I get a mod to close this thread please?