Inquiring with You!

let me tell u something ghost r old no1 is scared of them anymore well that wat i think

Sure they are. But I can respect the fact if you personally don’t think they are scary. I actually asked my wife last night about what she finds terrifying in a monster. Totally surprised me when she said something like the Alien from “Aliens” or “Predator”. I always thought those movies were just action flicks, but I guess they scared the crap out of her. So people all have different reactions to different kinds of horror.

You know what’d scare the crap outta most people? The FACE-EATER things from Half-life 2 or Black Mesa …

You know what scares me…my mom in the morning

lol vamp.
wat scares me most dogs… from monsters and all the not real stuff:
bloodymary
possesion (the movie) type stuff

I agree with @CJW, just give vague descriptions of the monster, nothing specific, and let the reader fill in the blanks. If you set the tone right, it’s guaranteed to scare the crap out of some people!

Clowns! X_X

The utter insignificance of my existence compared to the vast void of space.

Or you know, spiders. Generally things with more than four limbs are scary. Well, tails don’t count. But just imagine centipedes. Everywhere. It’s terrifying.

What’s terrifying about centipedes?

So Im starting to get the picture. A general description. Sharp claws. Nashing teeth, evil eyes. But let the readers mind play on that, and let it become a monster of the readers imagination.

@Fantom What isn’t? They can have up to 300 legs. They’re poisonous. They’re tiny and they can hide anywhere. I bet there’s a few around you right now.
Just imagine being swarmed by a hundred of them. Before you die all you can hear is crunchy little bodies eating you alive. Before the venom finally kills you all you can feel is little legs crawling all over you.

And just imagine one giant centipede made out of hundreds of little ones. Frightful.

Whenever I imagine being swarmed by centipedes or similar insect, I just imagine the satisfying squish they make under my shoes when I step on them en masse.

I’m not easily scared by things that I know about and have encountered before, it’s too easy for me to rationalize the situation and shove any fear out of my mind. No, what truly scares me is the unknown, that for which I have no basis to ground my rationalization to. This is human nature, and our history is testament to this.

Doesn’t think anybody that clowns are scary

Sorry.

Clowns are scary.

A force that I can’t stop and can’t run from… so yeah my mom

lol.

Not kidding my parents are very spiteful especially my dad,

Love them while you can.

Hm, well if it has to be a non nebulous thing, I suppose what an individual is capable of or what circumstances can make them can rather terrifying, it can possibly even make the player horrified of themselves if done really well. One upcoming ill thought out long winded example. . .

I was playing this one magnificently soul crushing Russian game called Pathologic, about a town slowly succumbing to a plague as you, a doctor, try to stop it. Starting out, I went in all moral, determined to save everybody I could, do as little harm as possible and all that. But slowly, as the circumstances got more and more desperate, I found myself willing to go to further and further lengths in the game to survive, feeling regret, yes, but trying to justify my actions. Until one point in the game where I just didn’t have the emotional energy to care, and as my morally dubious actions increased, I actually found myself enjoying it.

Then, the game broke the fourth wall. Near the end of the ordeal, it addressed me, the player, and asked if all my actions now and later were just me roleplaying protagonist, or me. I answered me. And in that moment, I took responsibility for what I had done, and realized what depraved depths I could sink to. I gazed into the abyss of what I was capable, and I felt horror, because it was me.

So. . .yeah. Or you could do werewolves. That’d be neat.