Horse: Foal Throttle (WIP) (Demo Update 22-August-18)

Play as a horse as you trot around the land of Nastara, adventuring with your travelling companions as you try to make your name in the world! Battle Crazy Horse Girls, romance a friend, or let chaos reign wherever you go.

HERE’S THE DEMO!!: https://dashingdon.com/play/emzan/horse-foal-throttle/mygame/index.php?cb=60417

DUE TO A LOT OF CONFUSION SURROUNDING THE MAIN CHARACTER (HORSE):
EVERYONE IN THIS STORY IS CONVINCED THAT THE MC, A HORSE, IS IN FACT A HUMAN.
Explanation: :sparkles::rainbow::unicorn:magic:unicorn::rainbow::sparkles:
Please get in the habit of reading the descriptions and especially the starting page of the demo to avoid confusion. I thought I was pretty clear but I guess not… :woman_shrugging:

Update 1, 15th March 2018: Prologue is up!
Update 2, 18th March 2018: Chapter 1 is up!
Update 3, 22nd August 2018 Chapter 2 is up!
Update 3.1, 23rd August 2018 Save slots now available!
Total word count: 15k

Poll: Should I genderbend the RO’s?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I know it’s taken me ages to get chapter 2 up and running, even if it is kind of short. Believe me, I’m just about as disappointed as you are…
I decided to let players change their gender in the stats screen even after they’ve been chosen in-game, just in case they’ve made a mistake, like a genderfluid MC, or even just to have some fun mixing up genders every once in a while. Same with names, so you aren’t (for example) stuck with The Manliest Man Name Ever™ if you decide to switch to being a non-dude gender after initially choosing to be a stallion.
Now here’s my little intro that I haven’t changed since i first made this topic:

HOWDY THERE, FRIENDS!!
I’m new to writing and coding but I’ve decided to make my very own game.

Basically, you play as a horse. A completely regular horse. You play in this fantasy land, a typical fantasy RPG type, and you become the leader of this band of adventurers. No matter what, everyone in the world never realises that you are in fact, a horse, and they treat you as a regular human.
I plan to have MC battle a bunch of goblins and trolls and other fantasy type creatures, rescuing princesses… all the usual stuff.

I’m still learning to code (by looking at other WIP’s), so it’s a pretty rough draft so far.
I just want to get it all down first, write like crazy, and I’m not editing at this point. Just powerin’ through.
I’m currently thinking of new ideas to include in the story, and working on Chapter 2.
Everything could change at any moment but I’d like to think that im sticking with what I have. Nothing is really set in stone.

If anyone has any thoughts they’d like to share or whatever I would be eternally grateful!!!

Characters

Peter (RO):
He’s a half-giant. Pretty dang large, and muscley, he comes across as super duper scary upon first meeting. He likes to use a warhammer to smash things, and his personality is very much like a puppy dog. He really loves people and being kind, and makes friends in a snap. Unfortunately, he has a problem with keeping his voice down, and is completely unaware of the affect he has on others.

Sir Erik (RO):
A knight in shining armour. Literally, his armour is polished so much that it seems to give off its own light. He’s a fan of enchanted items, and he’s pretty vain about his looks. He tries to charm the socks off everyone, and most of the time succeeds. His honour is the most important thing to him (apart from his sword) and it regularly gets him into trouble.

Ella (RO):
She’s a fire mage, completely intimidating, and about as hot as her flames (in many ways). She enjoys antagonising the group (except for Peter, her best bud) and she’s feared throughout all the lands. A total badass. Yet also one of the kindest in the group, second only to Peter.

Sophia (RO):
Sophia was once the Princess of a small kingdom called Summerdale. When she was 14, a neighbouring kingdom declared war on her family and barely a year later had her entire family assassinated. She only survived because she managed to convince the assassin not to kill her. She’s said to be the most beautiful woman in all the lands, and comes off as the kindest, sweetest person you will ever meet. Which is completely untrue as you get to know her, because the assassination messed her up big time and now she’s a completely murderous sociopath trying to have fun (by being evil).

Crazy Horse Girl (RO/Stalker):
She’s a girl barely out of her teens, obsessed with horses. You know the type. There isn’t a sane bone in her body. She’s obsessed with MC and shows up every now and then, disrupting your horsey activities and generally being an annoyance. She’s the only one who can see you for what you truly are. And if you thought she wasn’t crazy enough, she had her name legally changed to Crazy Horse Girl.

HIDDEN RO
This character shall remain a secret. :innocent:

Sir Edric:
Erik’s father. He’s one of the people that run the Adventurer’s Guild and is the main reason Erik becomes a knight. He’s a mentor for all the recruits, but because he’s Erik’s father he favours Erik a bit more than everyone else. All Erik wants in life is to be like him.

Before you go “ew no” with the RO’s, the whole romance will basically be the characters falling over themselves for you and at most there will be hugs. You’re a horse, remember. No yucky stuff in my kingdom. And yes I fully intend for the Horse to be able to romance any of them, regardless of gender. :rainbow_flag:

Due to an overwhelming amount of “yes” votes in the poll, romances will be included.
Just to clarify though, it will be entirely non-sexual to avoid icky things. It’ll just be like your MC has a best friend relationship with the chosen RO, except they have a massive crush on the horse, and you can be a little affectionate back (examples include but are not limited to: hugs, one-on-one scenes, and more hugs. Not to mention a few hugs here and there.)

WHAT I AM DOING RIGHT NOW:
I’m going to learn how to properly code so that the nb pronouns are all nice n snazzy and then edit the coding a little in the stuff I’ve already written so its all well and good, and maybe include an extra achievement or two while im at it.
I’m also thinking I will have the RO’s (except Crazy Horse Girl) genderbend according to the MC’s sexuality. Again, there’s not going to be any mouth to mouth kissing or more than that but i figure it might be nice. Tell me your thoughts, if you think its a good idea or not!

76 Likes

Yooooo I thought this was a joke but I am so here for this! I can’t breathe… I’m wheezing!

6 Likes

I have only one word for this. AMAZING! :smile:

3 Likes

you were fucking serious oh my god

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW UP MY ALLEY THIS IS, HUMOR-WISE??? I LOVE THIS CONCEPT.

That said, there aren’t any choices far, which is a bit off-putting for an interactive fiction game. Generally after three ‘next pages’ there’s been at least one choice, even if it’s something as simple as choosing a name or which direction the current character will walk. Just something to consider.

As for suggestions…

How about the time that the five heroes saved an innocent man who was accused of stealing the duchess’ jewels while he was on guard duty.
Our heroes managed to expose that it was the corrupt steward who had been stealing and gambling his duchess’ jewels, which they did by infiltrating the gambling den he frequented, which turned out to be nothing more than underground horse races!!

Except no matter the player choice, the hero isn’t allowed to participate in the race themselves.

“You’re far too tall to be a jocky, and rather too distinctive to work the crowds.”
“Maybe he could dress up as a horse?”
[beat]
[everyone laughs hysterically]
“Now that’s just silly!”

17 Likes

ah yeah, i was planning on having the choices start in Chapter 1, both because I’m lazy and also because the perspective isn’t from Horse. I thought I’d start it out nice 'n slow, then BOOM choices in the first chapter. Maybe later when Horse interrupts Sophia I’ll give the player an option of how they do so?

BRILLIANT IDEA!!! Though tbh I’m thinking perhaps (potential spoiler cause im serious about including this) that for an added layer of humour, the steward hasn’t stolen the jewels yet. He’s just promised them to a loan shark.
Turns out he was gambling with the duchess’s [ahem]… family jewels, if you catch my drift :wink:
The only thing the duchess knows is that someone has been going around intending to sell them to a major criminal gang.

im totally including you in the credits if i ever get this game finished :grin::+1:

2 Likes

Oh, damn. I thought you were gonna say that the loan shark was going to turn out to be an actual shark! lol

Wait a freakin’ minute, are you telling me that the adventure is going to go full Scooby-Doo? A duchess doesn’t have family jewels, only the regular kind of jewels…unless you’re going full Scooby-Doo in this and it turns out the duchess isn’t really the duchess, but a real estate developer in disguise who’s been trying to buy the real duchess’ lands for years!
And now the Five Heroes have to go save the duchess!

Man, this game writes itself! :thinking:

2 Likes

As someone else who took a joke too far, I approve.

glitterhoof

if you know what I mean

2 Likes

You mean His Hoofiness, Pope Equestrius the First??

Neighus Vult!

6 Likes

As long as we can fight as well as that horse from Rapunzel, I think this game might work.

6 Likes

Also known as Emperor of Equestria (formerly known as continental Europe)

Can we ever dress up as a holy figure and lead our flock, er, herd?

2 Likes

Excellent, excellent title.

2 Likes

I love this premise so much.
Also, is “stab him thirty-seven times in the chest” a Llamas With Hats reference?

3 Likes

what kind of joker would i be if it wasn’t?

2 Likes

I see no reason why she can’t have “family jewels” so i figure that i’ll just leave it as is. If she was secretly a real estate developer it’ll go too deep, man… too deep :fearful:

2 Likes

I can’t believe that the best game title I’ve ever seen on these forums is for a horse RPG, haha. Can’t wait until the beta where the CYOA parts start coming in, this sounds like a really fun idea!

2 Likes

Ah yes good… what? A horse?

1 Like

I saw this and cried, I’m still crying. Oh my gosh I’m so happy for this lmao.

3 Likes

Sounds pretty sweet. Count me in!!!

2 Likes

Could prove to be interesting!