Hero Project: Redemption Season News and Discussion

I don’t really know either, The show goes so fast, that I don’t think our character has many opportunities to really get into romantic stuff. I would really like could romance normal unpowered people or a meek even. In future games. Who relationship could show love conquers all than romance a meek, and show him her zir they that powered people are just people too. Another thing I would like could be a asexual romance character. Who loves you and it’s emotional supportive but without sex involved. And steal jury his “girlfriend” just to avenge our old character lol.

4 Likes

I would really like this, too. Batman, Superman, and those people do it all the time. Why can’t we?

6 Likes

There will be a lot more women in the next game. Tarana Rain, Mach Girl, Galexa and Di, I think 2-3 of those will be RO.
So I doubt Crystalline will break up with Ignite.

2 Likes

If you have your MC talk with Tarana at the end of the game, it’s fairly clear that she’s romantically interested in the MC. As for Crystalline, I doubt anything is going to happen with the MC as long as she and Ignite are strongly committed to each other. It’s not impossible that this could change in the future however if Ignite gets killed or is caught cheating.

BTW, I like how Mara thinks. It would be fun to steal Lira away from our old rival Jury!

4 Likes

If you voted for Griffin and you speak with Mech Girl, she seems interested too.

2 Likes

While Mach Girl certainly shows an interest in the MC, unlike in Tarana’s case, it’s not yet clear if that interest is of a romantic nature. The wording is rather vague. I would not be surprised if she was romantically interested however.

Really? I didn’t speak to Tarana, so that surprised me. I liked her a lot in the original trilogy because she got the most development of the three sidekicks, she was my choice. It would be neat to see more of her.

@blackrising: Yeah, the LIs were kind of underwhelming. Griffin was a jerk, I can’t remember anything about Transfer, Miss Boss was neat but dies, and I think I only liked Weaver because I can related to being an artist and because they were nice to JK. I would have preferred this game focused on setting up friendships with them before moving into romance next game. As is, I feel like I barely know them. I didn’t even get to watch my hero meet any of them sans Transfer.

So yeah, I would have preferred Crystalline because I actually got to spend more time with her than my LI’s. Tarana would be really neat. Oh, and StarSoar too.

You can save Miss Boss if you want.

I don’t know if I could romance Tarana, she is like an annoying little sister of my first character.

Crystalline would have been my first pick too had she been available. What was frustrating with Miss Boss was that she was snatched away so quickly after I decided that she was kind of interesting. The relationship didn’t even have the opportunity to get anywhere. The game seemed to be too busy endlessly haranguing my MC on discrimination to put any real time into developing the RO’s and making them feel meaningful to the game.

5 Likes

Yup, if the MC thinks nice social activist thoughts all through the earlier game and as a result has a societal score of 81 or higher, it’s possible to save Miss Boss. Of course “save” is a relative term as she ends the game in a coma-like state, but at least there is hope for her in the next game.

1 Like

That is one of my main grips with the game.
I still can’t understand how caring about discrimination makes your powers stronger.

But at least the interactions with her were very good. She was the character I spent more time (mingled with the New Populars and went to speak with her after the vote).
It’s a shame a lot of people will lose her because of a bad decision of the writer.
Hopefully there will be a update to let us save her without 81 Societal.

6 Likes

I hopped on the writer’s Twitter today because I honestly don’t know anything about them, and I’m…kind of really disappointed that they seem to be interpreting a lot of the negative feedback as coming from a place of ‘I don’t like games that discuss social issues’ — which, to be fair, I’m sure some of it is — instead of ‘I think these issues were handled in a weird and reductive way.’

17 Likes

Yeah, I certainly could love a way to save her being 90 personal. I certainly would love have a choice to sacrifice something for save her. Because she is personal for my character, she is a friend not only the boss. Being personal doesn’t mean being a evil bigot who eat discriminate children in her home. That’s my problem with this game. My character doesn’t believe that saying political correctness stuff on Tv serve for anything. Most of people doesn’t care about what the x reality show participant thinks they are more interested in the looks and who bangs who.
So my character believe in Ani and not binary and rest of discriminated groups have to do something about it. But not preaching in a tv show. Create Non-profit associations helping people like JK . Or a Hero doctors within frontiers to attend free charge ani people and poverty people. There are so much to do. Instead we have boring bla bla bla and not enough doing something about it! Heroic work fighting discrimination in real MC

3 Likes

I thought it would’ve been interesting to date the Dinosaur man (Velocityl?) He was a fellow Ani-powered (sort of?), he seemed pretty laid back and a good complement to my stressed-out hero, and I was dying to hear Prodigal’s comments on the whole thing. But then I didn’t have much of a chance to get to know him.

I felt like romance/dating in general didn’t get much play time in this installment, though maybe I just haven’t played the right paths for that. I flirted with Weaver, and was told that their professionalism forbade hooking up during the show. Serves me right for trying it on with someone with morals, I guess, but Little Jagged wasn’t interested.

Hm, speaking of which - Little Jagged. I’ve always found her fascinating. It seems to me like her shallowness is as much a cover as the glass skin she can rip off, and there’s someone pretty complex hiding under there. I’d love to get to know her.

3 Likes

Successful authors tend to develop a core group of fans for whom the author can do no wrong, and Sergi is certainly one of CoG’s most successful authors. These fans are extremely loyal and protective. They are however only a very small part of the buying public. If I’m right, and I strongly suspect that I am, there will be a sales drop for the next installment of the new Hero series as many who bought Redemption Season will decide they did not enjoy it enough to buy the sequel, just as Phantom Menace’s flaws resulted in fewer ticket sales for Attack of the Clones despite the fact that most considered Attack to be a significantly better film.

7 Likes

That IS rather discouraging. Especially since the people here are actually the kind who are most likely to enjoy games that deal with social issues (since a lot of us are part of a minority) and most of them have complained about the way these issues were handled rather than the fact that they were present.
I would have hoped the author would be open-minded enough to accept that he has, as far as I’m concerned anyway, pretty much cocked up when it comes to the handling of that particular aspect of the story.

13 Likes

While I wasn’t one of the beta-testers for Redemption Season, I was one of the beta-testers for the original Hero Project (volume 2 of the original trilogy), and I found Sergi to be very engaging and highly responsive to each and every suggestion I made. In fact he was not only gracious, but extremely thankful for my suggestions, sending me a free advance copy of his game guide as a thank you. I’m not exactly certain what happened here, but I’d like to believe that he’d have adjusted this if enough beta-testers had brought it to his attention.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have beta testing other ZS games too.And he was really great and he even change some stuff after my feedback. That is why I am posting here. Even if he doesn’t read forum info I suppose that Cog staff would give a highlight or our feedback, I really think with some changes game could be really better. He improve original trilogy in some updates. Like could say No BM. or Jenny Jury Prodigal romances. He already is a wonderful writer so the important stuff is there.

2 Likes

I love it when games deal with social issues, regardless of whether they impact me, at all. It adds a layer of realism, as well as (if it’s a positive story) the idea that we can hopefully overcome those mountains. But it’s always in how it’s handled by the author and how it’s shown in the story. In this instance I can only count two instances off the top of my head where I felt the discrimination and one is an optional path which some may not see: the uber who drove off with a flimsy excuse and Griffin’s disgust the morning after you hook up with him, which was optional. Most of the other instances I was simply told this happens to people or this happens and people look at you like this or the government does this or doesn’t do this. In those instances I felt like I wanted to feel something for disembodied or ani-powereds, but I couldn’t because I never could look past the words.

It would have had more effect if Sergi had taken a character I liked and identified with and put them through hell and high waters. I would have emotionally attached myself to them, thus felt the discrimination vicariously. I would have felt the pain and suffering emotionally and been able to immerse myself in the story instead of just seeing it as words on a screen.

So, I can vouch that I love social issues and reading about them. Otherwise I wouldn’t enjoy X-men, reading or watching the movies, or anything Marvel, for that matter. It kind of sucks that the author thinks we don’t like the game because of the social issues, rather than how they were handled.

Could we all have been more concise about it? No one has anything they thought they could change in their reviews or criticisms? :frowning: I don’t know myself, to be honest. I thought I conveyed myself decently - but knowing me, if I do go back and read my posts, there’d probably be a million things I’d change.

I definitely still want Sergi to continue writing about these social issues because who knows when anyone else will? I just think writing about something you’re so passionate about is a double edged sword. On the one hand you have knowledge and experience at your disposal. And on the other, that passion can get out of control - it requires a filter to stop yourself from going too far, rambling too much, and getting lost in your topic. I think that’s what this story desperately needed to keep things on a track that allows the author to maintain what he was trying to achieve while allowing the readers to chew reasonable portions of the material. But that’s been said a million times. I’m rambling.

I ramble a lot >>

8 Likes

I was really looking forward to this release, but good god there needs to be an injection of subtlety into the writing.

I’m not a child. I can handle subtext. Making the message appear in the text itself just makes it look like an agenda is being pushed. People react negatively when they think media is pushing an agenda on them. That’s why we have subtext! To make readers think about a subject critically without being told what they should think.

Between Redemption Season and Versus: The Lost Ones I’m wondering what happened to the author’s writing. Heroes Rise may have had a couple rough spots but these previous two games have had serious flaws. My gut says it’s due to a lack of editorial oversight, like what happened with M. Night Shyamalan. Even good authors need to have their worst excesses reigned in.

11 Likes