Fief -- a manor-mangement sim

Ok, I think I’ve fixed these bugs.

Thanks for the reports!

4 Likes

It’s good to see you working on this again, Jason.

What do you think about a “not-a-tutorial” introduction where we play first as a child watching our parent, having them explain to us all the aspects of management, and having us get our feet wet with some simple decisions? I think that sort of thing would also be a good opportunity to learn what kind of parent we have, and by extension, what it means to govern.

3 Likes

“working on it again” is a strong statement. I was on a plane and spent a few hours composing some new calamities and filling in some TODOs, and then posted the update. Then some people reported some bugs and I fixed them.

7 Likes

I got something saying: bug 410 ‘landless died’ after TODO severe spring illness. Then the game crashed.

Also, there’s a couple of bugs in the Household Support mechanics.

One, our lifestyle is judged strictly on our wheat income. I have plenty of money, but it won’t let me do better than modest because I’m running a very pork-heavy fiefdom.
Two, changing household support is repeatable and affects our gentry_rep each time.

Not a priority, but just wanted to give you a heads-up. (Household support should probably trigger gentry-rep annually in small doses. Not that it matters yet.)

Finally, can I ask that the game not force you to plant oats? I don’t mind buying them on the market.

1 Like

Ugh. The option to not plant oats is a tall order right now.

Down the road, yes, I think I can at least implement a way to change some plantings. Right now, no. :frowning:

EDIT: I found a bug in @multireplace. I can’t (usefully) post a new version until Dan updates ChoiceScript and then it gets deployed to Dashingdon.

3 Likes

Well, what I meant was not being forced to plant a new acre of oats whenever you clear land and it says “you need more oats, so I’m going to gray out the other options.” That part should be easily fixable. Changing existing planting to a pure mix of vetch and cabbage* can be left on the wishlist.

*Incidentally, cabbage earns you 17 bu of wheat an acre, pre-trade, as well as being the ultimate in pig feed. Am I missing something, or is it really supposed to be that good?

1 Like

Either you misunderstand or I made a mistake.

Cabbage is extremely prolific. That’s why European peasants grew and ate as much of it as they did, even if it’s practically tasteless: it grows almost anywhere, and you get a lot of it per acre.

For all these reasons, it’s also substantively less valuable than wheat.

(Specifically, wheat is net yield of 360 lbs/acre, or 6 bu; cabbage is 6000 lbs/acre. Part of the problem is, I was calculating a bu at 35 lbs, but I’m not sure why. Quick googling tells me cabbage is 50-60 lbs to a bushel.)

But…I think I see the problem. Let me go back to my notes and do some research.

EDIT: ok, I tinkered with the cabbage numbers and pushed a new draft.

10 Likes

Bushel weights, various crops:
ftp://www.ilga.gov/jcar/admincode/008/00800600ZZ9998bR.html

Three centuries of English crops yields, 1211-1491:
http://www.cropyields.ac.uk/project.php

Also, here's a giant cabbage.

1 Like

Please add the option to save the game I keep losing my progress

That bug is fixed.

1 Like

How far does the game go? I’ve had several 3-4 hour sessions before I realized I needed some sleep. I’ve never found the end though.

Right now, there’s only an unsatisfying death of basically old age. I haven’t gotten around to writing much of the narrative yet. When I started working on it, I wanted to get the system down first, and layer the narrative on, letting the system guide that narrative.

As I mentioned above, I had a few hours on a plane and I wrote the dovecote section (new content!), and then a new calamity or two, and then people started reporting bugs, and now I’ve been fixing bugs and addressing some inconsistencies.

I don’t know when I’ll be able to do some more feature content or narrative content. But things like reclaiming your father’s sword and armor, meeting your neighbors, choosing a new eorwald, dealing with the bandits, and getting married are vaguely at the top of the list.

5 Likes

Stuck on this screen. Can’t move past it even after calibrating the livestock involved

you cant afford to keep your animals

1 Like

Yeah tried culling everything the game would let me.
And yet I still wind up stuck on this screen

Jumping straight into management and then deciding to cull everything results in this:

I just discovered this (and this website), and it looks exactly like what I was googling for! Amazing.

I have to ask: any inspiration drawn from the old rpg supplement Harn Manor? It reminds me a lot of it.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve consulted the Harn books here.