Fief -- a manor-mangement sim

Well, the first level of the dovecote should now be purchasable, you should now be able to recover your father’s sword and armor, and you can go on a short pilgrimage.

Also, there’s been a lot of monkeying with the prices.

8 Likes

I only participated relunctantly. I saw no signs of Sénan in my life; why should I honor him?
should be
I only participated reluctantly. I saw no signs of Sénan in my life; why should I honor him?

1 Like

I was like, these are exactly the sa-… oh, there’s an n in there…

2 Likes

I would love to see this game completed as well as other such games with management and stuff like that. Such as the game Lucid is working on. Some people of our community are saying that these games can’t succed or are a bit reluctant about the topic. In reality I think choice of games and hosted games are pioneers of a new era multiple choice text games. Nowadays in the market we see IFs like that of our friends from delight games and such are giving out games without states and stuff like that. While if one compares that to our choice-script games to them, it’s evident that interactive fiction has evolved.

It’s been somewhat proven already that management games can be and a hit. For example The great tournament 1/2, swamp castle, choice of rebels and stuff like that. And I have a very strong feeling that stronghold will also be heavy on management side. And these are the future of interactive fiction.

That being said, I would love to see the games completed by @Lucid and yourself. Along with our other writers working on similar titles. And best of luck my friends I also hope that the endless RPG Hero of Daria will also be eventually completed.

8 Likes

Thing is, Swamp Castle’s and TGT’s management styles are nowhere near as in depth when compared to Rebels. Sometimes, the latter’s mechanics for micromanaging frustrated me, but that is not to say they were bad.

3 Likes

I find it weird that the only thing we gain from choosing “I fought with my father side by side” is the fact that we are already trained in the art of swordplay. It is much more adventageous to choose another option and then learn swordplay. My point is that there should be another option to learn how to lead or heal.

I’m having a massively hard time not to spin into terrible terrible debt

2 Likes

Yeah, I did some tinkering. Now with the log, I can see that there are some bugs, but I haven’t had time to fix them yet.

2 Likes

Me too. The first time I played it way back when @jasonstevanhill first released the demo, I did just fine. However, since he’s tweaked it some, no matter what I cannot get out of debt. Oh well, I like the challenge.

3 Likes

yeah, I would hold off for a hot minute until I can do some debugging.

3 Likes

I just posted a new draft. This is going to be the last draft for a while; I’ve received a bunch of editorial material in the past 48 hours that I need to review, and so it’s going to be at least a week before I can work on this again.

There are a lot of changes to the numbers in this draft, including a number of bugfixes.

• using Medicine to help the manor no longer doubles your wheat production for the year when peasants get sick.
  • when deciding whether or not to keep yearlings and calves, the game was displaying yearlingConsump and calfConsump before the choice, but then using cowConsump and yearlingConsump to calculate the actual hay consumption. Now the display is what is actually be used to calculate the result.
  • lowered the initial manor_debt by 500.
  • lowered the cost of pledging fealty by 75% (to one-quarter of a bushel per acre of the manor, instead of one bushel per acre).
  • if Nym comes to you to demand your fealty, the cost is now 1/3 bushel per acre, instead of 2.
  • the way cheese is produced is entirely changed.
9 Likes

I’m so excited to know that you have started to work on this game again.! I hope you keep it going until the very end. Godspeed.

This seems like an interesting piece of Interactive Fiction.

Spelling and grammar could use a bot of polish but a very interesting premise.

Feel free to post screenshots of spelling or grammar errors.

2 Likes

Here’s what you get when you choose a personalised first name :

What’s the error?

Maybe he means the comma before the ellipses next to the name.

1 Like

It’s that it seems weird that I’d say two times in a row my first name

You’re not saying it twice. The diom is leading you through the ritual.

I suppose that could be clarified, however.

3 Likes

I really do love the concept of this. I’ll try to give some feedback and make a list of spelling errors.

Demense - Demesne
Enterred - Interred
Surpluse - Surplus
Preseravation - Preservation

As I said, I like the concept but at the moment it is extremely repetitive. Furthermore, some actions do nothing. The systems are also not very clear.

It is a promising start, but I’d suggest fixing the bugs, and adding more events. Furthermore, I would suggest adding more of a narrative and a way to actually pay some debt.

2 Likes