Fatehaven

Yes, about that Infinity Loop, and that comet, where the heck did they come from?

Edit: I feel I should add that I really enjoyed the game, the last bit just threw me for a bit of a, uh, loop.

If this is out, why doesn’t it show onsite?

@Samuel_H_Young: Having completed the game & briefly examined the source code, I have to agree with your concerns. This is a simple novel where you are occasionally given a pop-quiz before you can continue to read.

On the other hand, it is a /good/ novel, so it is probably worth the money, but anyone buying this game expecting your decisions to have the slightest effect on the flow of the story will be highly disappointed. And it is hardly the first “Choice of” game that follows this path, either.

But not my cup of tea, I’m afraid. :frowning:

@mreed @Samuel_H_Young It’s a beautiful book, but I agree. There simply isn’t much choices and lots of wall of text.

Saying that I just find myself unsure what has happened a lot of the time.

I like this game. I definitely don’t mind the novel aspect too much so it’s a good read in the end. Didn’t really expect the Madoka twist at the end and would prefer something other than tsundere ROs for the most part but it’s still a good read nonetheless.

@mreed and @zachinglis
Glad I’m not the only one who sees it that way. xD

I JUST finished and I loved it! One of my favorite HG games so far. I didn’t mind that this more novel-like since the story was very engaging.

1 Like

Wow this is great. Will there be a sequel or spin off?

@Taiho I’m glad you liked it! And thanks for the find, I’ll make sure to add that in a following update.

@Grapefruit More of a deredere man? I respect that!

@mreed, @zachinglis
As Grapefruit said, Fatehaven has a strong novel aspect. When writing a Choice Of, you must balance breadth or you will suffer from shallow depth. It all depends on what you as a writer want to write. If/When you decide to become writers (I encourage you both!), you will be faced with these sacrifices. Choice Of Blog has some great articles back in 2010 about this.

@Doctor It’s showing up on the site now :slight_smile:

@122BCooper I’ll look into this issue, thanks for letting me know!

@attolia I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

So…did you suffer some great tragedy because of some “tree huggers” or something? Because you really make a lot of points about hating them… xD

Also, I noticed Fatehaven is $3 on Android, but $2 on the website. This may be an oversight, so I thought I’d point it out.

1 Like

While I usually prefer games with more impactful choices, I also understand the difficulty in making a game not be shallow so I am okay with more linear-stories. I greatly enjoyed this game, at least until the ending. It felt rushed and gave little explanation as to what exactly was going on. Spoilers ahead:

We never explore what the relationship between Arlindr and Silvana is, nor do we learn why we have to stop the asteroid instead of just about anyone else. If Arlindr was working with Silvana, why the hell did he kill your family? What was Conia’s plan with the Black Blood?

Aside from those unexplained mysteries, the story felt cohesive and well-made. Thought on repeated playthroughs I did find a few things that really bothered me.

• We always end up working for Gundrik. While I understand why (The Binyo connection), I really felt like you missed out on a chance to allow the player more freedom in choices, even if it was just superficial (i.e. if you end up working for the kooky herbalist the leader of the Redwater Salvage is an Elf instead of a Dwarf).

• There doesn’t seem to be any real penalty in failing checks except not getting Renown. I feel like some of them are pretty big blunders and should result in the character dying.

• The romance with Patch. I loved her character dearly but the romance ending feels incredibly unsatisfying. The character fell in love with the Patch of the previous world who he had gone on adventures with, the Patch of this world is the same at first, but the previous Patch had unique experiences with you that brought you two closer together (Almondvale’s dinner, Maeben’s seduction) that just won’t happen in this world. She is fundamentally different from the one we fell for. You seem knowledgeable about tropes, so check out Replacement Goldfish and Doppelganger Replacement Love Interest.

• We never get to pick the character’s future. It is always decided by Renown. Which is okay, but I wish there was some say in what we did with our magic after diverting the asteroid, with Renown determining how well we succeeded. I, for example, would have wanted to bring magic back to this age but teach responsible usage, with the Renown level determining my success rate. Low renown = end up causing another magical war, high renown = yay everything works out magitek future.

Sorry for the really long post, but I figured I should be as thorough as possible. Despite how many negatives this post seems to have, I did greatly enjoy the game and found it well worth the price. Definitely a good addition to the Hosted Games family.

3 Likes

what is it about? and does it have romance?

just bought the game on my iPod. haven’t played it yet but i will tonight.

@Zanite Agreed, I’m not exactly sure what happened at the final 1/3rd of the game. Err, I actually still have no idea even though I played through all the “routes.” Could anyone explain exactly who Silvanus is?

I got that he was some kinda time traveling dark magician…person. Wait, why does everyone keep referring to him as “prince”? Why does he even like us o-o

I liked the beginning and the middle parts though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m playing this on Android right now and I was just wondering if there’s a way to save the game?

It saves automatically, I think

I haven’t finished it yet, but it would be nice to be able to tell our thoughts from our speech. It’s incredibly jarring to have NPCs reply to our character without knowing what our character actually said to them. Even an indication of our character having said something, I think, would help ease that transition.

@hahaha01357
I’ve been saying that but no one seems to notice it…

@hahaha01357
Yeah, you’re correct. A few of the scenes I had no idea who had said what in convos.

@lohengramm
It auto-saves when you close the app but it doesn’t have any save slots if that’s what you’re looking for in CoG titles. The saves for multiple games in a series are hosted on the servers connected to your email.

Hey has anyone gotten air as an element yet? I’ve gotten fire, water, and earth but never air.