Editing, modding...cheating?

Make sure the variable new_char_bonus exists and that you’ve spelled it exactly the same way in all of your edits.

1 Like

Could it have been that I changed its value from 25 for example, to 50. Because I only messed with the numbers in the stats on the startup file

Is there any way to view the code or edit it for Android omnibus app?

1 Like

No, changing the value of a variable wouldn’t cause that error. Accidentally changing the spelling of the variable name would.

I’m not a fan of omnibus apps and have yet to download it. Maybe someone else can offer some advice.

4 Likes

I can sympathize with that. But, I’m afraid this is the future route of our favourite company.

I’m giving it a try nowadays, but dumb as I am… I can’t make any sense of things.

5 Likes

Do I just add new_char_bonus At the very beginning of the file, since it’s missing from line 1? Or do I have to use *create command

That seems like the kind of error you get when your stats are too high. Maybe ensure that’s not the case before making any other changes.

Shouldn’t there be an option to manipulate stats? I think cheats is a better word. Basically, just put in cheats that will lock the achievements when they’re in effect so I can experiment with the story and what not.

2 Likes

Hence the point of this thread.

1 Like

I didn’t know this thread existed until the mod thanosed my post here

3 Likes

It’s up to the author of a certain book. Some authors do in fact put in cheats(War for the West is an example).

Can I nominate Thanosed as the official new terminology for mod manipulation of posts? It’s pretty…snappy.

A couple games do have their own built-in cheats, like Street Jam. But they’re definitely not the norm. Not sure why; maybe programming difficulty, maybe just because people spending time making a game don’t want to immediately unmake it. Maybe just because people in the know can already make it their way anyhow through stuff like what is listed in this thread. I know for me it was a little of number 1 and a little of number 3.

7 Likes

First of all, great pun. Second, I didn’t know there were built-in cheats in some of these games. Lastly, can you give me a guide to implement cheats? Is it on PC or Android or maybe even IOS hopefully.

2 Likes

Yeah, @Tevin included cheats similar to old-school stuff like WAMPASTOMPA (look it up if you have never heard of Shadows of the Empire’s great contribution to cheat code culture). And I am sorry, but while I know plenty of people are able to crack into games to do this, I’m not familiar with how. I assume it was posted in this thread but cannot say for certain.

2 Likes

Depends on what platform you’re on. I play on the COG website in a chrome browser, and the variables can be directly edited in developer tools - websql. It probably works with other browsers too. If you’re playing elsewhere, I think you need to download the code and edit it.

2 Likes

Could you give me a guide to do this? Playing on chrome seems more convenient as I can probably do it on mobile and PC.

1 Like

Copy the ‘state’ value, change whatever variables you want to change, and then put it back in. It also doubles as a manual save system.

2 Likes

Hi, so I’m new to this and not great with computers. Does anyone know how to edit stats for choice steam games? I’m trying with the keeper of the sun and moon

1 Like

So I’m doing this on iOS, but I found something weird with the code. In the startup file instead of the stats being on separate lines there’s “,”
For example:
“,”*create charming 50","*create strength 50
This would mean I would have to manually delete those and add line breaks which is a pain to do

For steam choice games what I do is going to my C:/Steam/userdata and look for the games folder, mine is 212424546, inside this folder you will find a lot of numbered folders, go inside anyone, open the remote folder and inside you will find files with the name of your game example storePSgunsofinfinityPSstate and storePSgunsofinfinityPSstatebackup, open them with notepad there you will see a lot of variables you can modify, remember to modify the same variable both in the “state” and “backup” files of your game to work, save any changes and reopen your game, it will show you any changes you made, if an error happens then you maybe modified a variable beyond of what the game code allowed, start with little changes, after that you will feel comfortable to change many things and have your OP MEME RUN of any game you want

2 Likes