Why don’t authors include a cheat menu?

Okay so I was wondering if someone could like explain to me why authors don’t add a cheat menu so players can read the endless possibilities with no restrictions, to balance this probably put like a no achievements when cheats are activated. Or is it just that it’s hard to code?

29 Likes

Yeah cheat menus would be really fun to play around with.

22 Likes

Counterquestion: why would you? You bought the game so play around with combinations of choices.

26 Likes

Counterquestion: To see each part of a game you’d still have to play through it, cheat menu or not. Why bother? Alternatively it’s probably easier to just look at the code if you want to see what you missed. I personally just don’t find that very rewarding. If I find something desirable in the code I still feel the need to play my way there.

Also, speaking only for myself here, but other than the Echelon Protocol in Versus: The Elite Trials I couldn’t care less about Achievements. How in seven hells does doing anything with a piece of fluff in any way balance anything, good or bad?

13 Likes

Because… imbalance will ensue?

Adding cheat menu may also cause inconsistencies in the story itself, which can greatly break your immersion if you’re not committed to cheating.

Besides, adding cheat menu may double the work on author’s side as they’re now must include or (cheatmode) on the cond. check of every option of every choice of the game.

But not saying I’m against it, tho. In fact, I’m toying with the idea of this cheat menu and trying to make it something canon :]

11 Likes

No, cheatmenu isn’t hard to code. But thinking of how it fits in the game is. That’s why I am thinking of how to make the “trueking” cheat appropriate for my own WiP. I feel like that you should enjoy the game as long as you can, replay it many times, then use the cheatmenu for some fun. If people use the cheatmenu on their firstplaythrough to break the immersion, that’s the reader’s fault entirely.

24 Likes

Yeah I was playing your WiP when I saw the cheat menu and I’m like “yo this game is fun and now now limitations? COOL!”

6 Likes

While replayability may be a positive feature for many the truth is not everyone has the patience to sit through another round (or more) in order to see everything the game has to offer. That could be good or bad, as a person who doesn’t go through different paths will probably have a different opinion on it from someone who does, and this could affect the reviews.

The real reason why authors don’t do it? They perceive it as difficult to code or simply can’t be arsed because it goes against their own personal beliefs of how a game should be played. I have to ask, which do you prefer; someone who only plays your game once and then never touches it again or someone who, aware of the existance of cheats, feels more motivated to try different paths with their aid?

I noticed some authors around here tend to be a tad judgemental about how people play their games - you either do it their way or the highway. Don’t wanna be rude but… how a person plays their game is none of your business. You did your part - made a product with the intent of selling it, what happens afterwards is out of your hand. Forcing people to conform to your mindset doesn’t leave a good impression IMO.

I’m aware nobody can force you to do anything you don’t want to, it’s your game afterall, but I think using this excuse to do not do something is poor reasoning all around.

55 Likes

The three more common reasons for an author not coding a cheat menu:

• They don’t see the point of adding them.
  • They don’t want to do more work on something that doesn’t directly impact the gameplay or story.
  • They’re opposed to the idea of adding a deliberate way to cheat the game they’ve made.

Whether or not those reasons are valid isn’t really up to anyone to decide except the one making the decision. Suggest the idea, and if they’re open to it, they might adopt it. If not, don’t force the issue.

13 Likes

Please keep the focus on the issue of the thread and be careful not turn things personal.

Calling out individual authors in a thread of this nature is not considered constructive feedback. Arguing among each other and using names is another non-constructive feedback.

Please be aware of your words chosen when posting.

Thank you.

10 Likes

As opposed to a cheat menu what about a dedicated story mode where you pass all checks. It shouldn’t be to difficult to code either just an *if (storymode)

19 Likes

There are many reasons why an author may or may not decide to add such a feature … let us not start witch hunts.

The last two posts before @Nocturnal_Stillness are getting personal - if this trend continues, I’m going to close this thread.

As the games in both CoG and Hosted libraries become more complicated and longer, this might be a more requested feature. I know many VN hybrids do this sort of thing, so there is already a proven market for it.

5 Likes

I’m not starting a witch hunt. The intention of my post was to be direct, not accusatory, and I’m aware that there are more reasons. The three I listed are just the more common. I’m just plainly stating, it’s the author’s choice whether to have a cheat menu, whether to have romance in the story, or whether to even have their story fit in a narrative or be in a sandbox. Pressuring authors into adding them is more likely to create pushback than anything.

The only thing I see about that is the tedium of finding which result is the most favorable with each check, adding “*if storymode goto X” to each of them. But, that is a straightforward and very easy thing to code, and is a good alternative for players who want to simply get through the story.

9 Likes

It depends what kind of a cheatmenu we’re talking about. The one that only increases stats/sets variables to true or false is obviously easy, but doing if commands for each choice and for each outcome wouldn’t be too hard either.

5 Likes

Perhaps you could edit your post to reflect this …

1 Like

Like save or check point options, this ability is different for each developer/author. Once something standard can be coded and shared (perhaps by means of the wiki) I think more authors will be open to using it.

As a matter of fact, I see many of the arguments on either side mirroring each other in the save option threads as I see in this thread.

2 Likes

Well, the question of the thread is why don’t authors do cheatmenus, not the advantages/disadvantages of them. Personally, I only see cheatmenus as an advantage.

15 Likes

What about authors who WANT readers to have differing experiences? I for one want those who read my WIP to have a different experience by the end, I want different views on both the story and the characters in it.

If players cheat then they get to see the big picture which for some stories is not meant to be. Gosh, imagine if a mystery author did that…

If someone wants to look at my noobish coding I don’t really mind they can do that with that effort and if they enjoy doing that awesome. But I play games for immersion, and I think that would break it.

But hey, who knows, maybe in the future cheat menus will become common. That’s just why I won’t add one, and yes laziness is included in my reasons lol. I have a hard enough time coding/writing any added work is unwelcome to me! Lol :3

4 Likes

Edited. Also softened up my last sentences, in case I was giving off the wrong idea.

I feel like the cheat or debug menu should be tailored to the game in question. Mystery game? Turn on hints. Superhero game? Give yourself an extra power, etc. I do note that, as one of the few authors that puts said menu in, I like that you have fun with it and outright add elements that wouldn’t exist otherwise into the game.

7 Likes

Increasing stats would work well in most games. As for original cheat ideas such as author’s comments and hints, then it comes down to what game you are playing.

2 Likes