Donor: A Vampire Victim's Tale [GAME RELEASED!]

Thanks for your message, Elena. Have you ran a Blackjack check using the ‘Deception’ advantage of play? That’s how I usually play the game, as I find it the most advantageous way. But I won’t be able to produce a meaningful screenshot to prove if there’s a bug or not, this way.

Since reading your message, I did go through the Blackjack game again (via WarpZone, Chapter 9), this time using Honesty. It seemed to go without a bug (not totally sure) on that play. Curiously enough, Charles survived my MC’s ‘going clean from Xanax’ poisoning attempt. I was working with the ‘Model Prisoner’ profile. Presumably the WarpZone profile interfered with the poisoning.

I’m now awaiting my fanfiction website to see if a new category can be set up for my ‘Donor’ story. And, vampire-related, I have also played through the first three chapters of ‘Vampire: The Masquerade - Out For Blood’ game.

Did you track down Keith Melton’s two vampire books (by your old publisher)?

2 Likes

No doubt it’s the largest advantage. I can play through it that way a couple of times and see.

Fingers crossed… not that I’m super optimistic. I’d be shocked if anyone responding to your request has even heard of Donor. :sweat_smile:

Ugh I checked a while back, but they were only available as paperback and kinda pricey (like 40 bucks iirc). This is normally where I’d gripe about the author not having republished their work (either via self-pub or another press), but given what a PITA that is, and how long it took me to do so with even one novel, I’m gonna keep my mouth shut and just keep checking back from time to time :smiley:

1 Like

Hi again Elena.

Two things to mention:

1. Don’t know if anyone else has spotted this before. The Hints & Tips section states, that for the player’s MC to become a vampire, ‘Kill Charles in Chapter 8 by either starving or poisoning him’.

But, as I found out via testing, if Lenore/the MC accidentally starves Charles via the scene in the laundry room, there won’t be any victims left to finish the turning process on anyone (which is logical). Paul will try to feed Lenore/the MC to Charles - and even if Richard steps in and kills Charles, there’ll be no chance for Lenore/the MC to try to get herself vamped.

In other words, Lenore/the MC can only get herself turned if Charles dies from the Xanax overdose. Unless I’ve missed something?

1. And finally…, after several attempts for the fanfiction website to recognise my paragraph breaks… :smiley::clap:
    Diner, a donor fanfic | FanFiction

Please review as a guest on the website - but only if you wish to!

Kind regards,
DenaFan (alias Ravenclaw Midnight Blue)

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know about this, I’ll push out an update to the hints section this week!

AHHHHH!!! YESSSS!!! :kissing_heart: :heart_eyes: :kissing_heart: :star_struck: I AM SO RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS!

I’m finding myself in support hell this weekend (glamorous life of a software engineer and all…) and your story will be the perfect reward for when it’s all over. :smiley:

@DenaFan, you are absolutely amazing, thanks again for everything :hugs: !!!

FYI, Diner is AMAZING, and I’ve added a link to it under fanfics up top!

Thanks Elena. And thanks for reviewing it on the Fanfiction website!

Being a budding perfectionist, I keep tinkering with the story - even after releasing it. So now I’ve included details such as 1) Lenore explaining why vampires don’t attack each other for their blood, 2) Lenore’s girlish excitement during the night that her fangs first kick in, and 3) Lenore reflecting in her new life, how the mere mention of silver gives her goose bumps to the point that she frets how she can watch the Olympic Games on TV without being jittery when the medals are mentioned!

I hope that you’ll get to read Keith Melton’s two vampire books sometime! For now, I’m trying to get the ‘MC becomes a vampire’ ending (and other endings) in Choice Of Games’ ‘Out For Blood’.

1 Like

Hi Elena, I just wanted to tell you how much I love your work! Gave the game a try recently because the GoC announcement of it kept rumbling in the back of my head and hey, the first chapters were free anyway. I was in for an incredible ride and was deeply immersed in Lenore’s struggles. The final choice about whom to douse in the silver powder had me agonizing a whole day over it! Partially because I appreciated Richard’s own brand of honesty so much.

After that I read both ebooks since you were so kind to provide the links, and I love them! Your writing is excellent. In my opinion the greatest strengths of the story are the characterizations and the presentation of the moral dilemmas like the friendship-which-isn’t-and-yet-still-somehow-is without explaining (or judging) too much and keep the reader thinking for himself. And the (slightly psychopatic) humor! Really, I love it.
My main problem now is that I’ve read it all and have to disentangle myself from your world again…

What I want to say is, thank you for writing!

2 Likes

Thank you!!! :heart:

AHHHHH this post completely made my day. Thanks so much for taking the time to check them out!

Thank you for reading!!!

2 Likes

’ [quote=“DenaFan, post:1514, topic:34995”]
Don’t know if anyone else has spotted this before. The Hints & Tips section states, that for the player’s MC to become a vampire, ‘Kill Charles in Chapter 8 by either starving or poisoning him’.
[/quote]

Thanks for letting me know about this, I’ll push out an update to the hints section this week!’

Hi Elena. I’ve just checked on the free version of the game on computer, and looked at the guide to achievements. The text is still staying it’s possible for the MC to become a vampire ‘by either starving or poisoning him’ (i.e. killing Charles). When I checked the Donor app on my Smartphone, in August, it was no different.

Regards,
DenaFan

1 Like

Oooooh thanks for letting me know, @DenaFan! I’ll take a look into what’s going on there… :thinking:

UPDATE 09.08.21 - Reached out on Monday, still waiting to hear back.

UPDATE 09.14.21 - Still haven’t heard back, just sent another email.

FINAL UPDATE 09.18.21 - The change is finally out. Thanks again @DenaFan!

Love Donor! I bought both your book and played your demo (and just purchased the game itself). Really happy to see there’s a sequel :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Elijuneau Your post just made my day. :heart: Thank you so much for reading!

1 Like

No worries! Your reply makes me smile too :slight_smile:

I really liked your game, so I actually sat at my computer with a copy of your book, and played it choice-by-choice according to the “canon”. Was surprisingly fun, and the ending tracked quite well!

I grabbed and finished your sequel too - you’ve done a lovely job with it!

1 Like

Aww thank you. I was never completely happy with the sequel so it means a lot to me that you said that. :blush:

1 Like

I did think it was a solid piece of work, although imo the ending could have been done a bit better, I don’t believe that Paul would simply hand over the keys and let Leonore run off quite that easily with Sam (especially since she’s just killed Richard).

In the game ending where she kills Richard, Paul is quite visibly enraged. Is this a gameplay/book divergence you intended?

(Also, in another note, cheers to a fellow female software dev!)

I absolutely chuckled at how Paul was telling a beaten up Sam “Aren’t most nurses supposed to be women? Leonore’s a software dev, and that field is mostly men” and him completely freaking out.

1 Like

Great question! The reason that Paul doesn’t seem very upset about Lenore killing Rich at the end of Bait is because Rich isn’t really dead – he’s just very badly injured and Paul doesn’t want her going back to finish the job while he deals with the fire dept. He also needs her to get Sam out of the area before the building is swarmed with firemen who might discover him (since Sam’s been reported missing and is clearly infected with vampirism, etc). None of this is very clear at the end of the novel, though, because the story is told exclusively from Lenore’s perspective and she often has no idea what’s going through Paul’s mind.

My editor also sorta forced me to take out the part where I mentioned that Richard survived - he said Lenore needed a win. :sweat_smile:

:heart: :heart: :heart: Women in tech RULE!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

If I had a nickel for every time I’ve had to endure that awkward conversation…

Thanks again for reading!!!

3 Likes

Ha! That’s a nice bit of information! I also wondered in which direction you planned to take Sam. Because his situation is so terribly f*ed up. I cannot see Lenore simply killing him. I cannot see her looking for victims to complete the transformation. And even if they use Sam’s knowledge to, say, rob a blood bank - turning into a vampire doesn’t appear to be a good solution for anything. But then, Sam’s story is likely not headed towards a happy ending anyway…

2 Likes

Lol yeah… the problem with traditional publishing is that your editor gets the final say. :roll_eyes: I probably should’ve pushed back a bit harder.

Well, before everything fell apart (movie deal, publisher going out of business…) there was a third book outlined where the reader would get to see exactly what happens when the turning process goes south. Sam slowly turns into a bit of a monster under Lenore’s care, who – as you correctly pointed out – isn’t too keen on feeding him live victims and instead attempts to tide him over with her own blood. Lenore ends up needing to call on Paul for help, and that’s when she discovers that Richard is still very much alive (although he’s more of a husk with most of his body burnt away and spends most of the story being carried around inside a duffel bag).

In short, Sam doesn’t make it :wink:

2 Likes

Now I want to play Bait (game) so badly just to change this horrible fate. Is there no escape from vampirism nightmare :sob:

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s some universe where Sam makes it out okay. :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks Elena! I can confirm that the ‘How do I become a vampire?’ tip has dropped the reference to starving Charles.

Having read through parts of this forum, I’m now going to see if it’s possible to befriend Charles and give him Deirdre’s bracelet… Wasn’t aware of that detail before.

1 Like