CoG and Chrome Webstore

This is serious bad new as Chromes is/was the only platform I could mod CoG games on and freely peek at the code, plus I don’t really like Steam. Of course I could buy directly from CoG but that would restrict me to just playing on their servers and not being able to mod anything or look at the code anymore. :cry:

Any chance CoG itself could make an offline, PC version available in the future?

If it’s not available on PC I’m just plain not going to be able to play it anymore, which is a pity as I was looking forward to “Midsummer Night’s choice”. :cry:

2 Likes

Those who use tablets won’t be affected.

I loved the Chrome Store since it’s really easy to read the game code in those versions. I can play the games offline. And they’re quite a bit cheaper than the other places you can buy choice of games. I really appreciated that Choice of Games released games there even though it was a tiny market.

@idonotlikeusernames

You can look at the code on Steam too. You need to unpack the files though. It’s not as easy or convenient. And I don’t think you can easily mod things.

Of course not everything is released on Steam.

I’d think CoG’s incentive to do that would be minimal. They like Steam. Steam also allows them to reach out to more users. Steam’s where they ideally want us desktop users to purchase the game.

You can mod stuff after you unpack it, and you can engineer it to work without Steam, but it’s a tedious process.

Well since it seems like I’m going to have to now anyway you can direct me to a guide?

A guide on what? I don’t use Steam anymore.

How to unpack steam crap for one and then one on how to mod and repack it and preferably one on how to set things up to bypass steam too as I refuse to use mobile crap, which really I only tolerate because I need it for work in order to play games, besides I don’t have any clue on how to mod the mobile stuff either.

If you turn the auto-updates off, then this is not an issue any longer.

oh, I was referring to Chrome wanting out of the app business as per their own document. G’Day.

Edit: @idonotlikeusernames - Steam will allow you as a user to run their games offline, as long as the publisher allows it. I don’t know CoG’s policy on Steam but there is a possibility that you can do so.

I haven’t tried it because I don’t have any issues running CoG or Hosted games with Steam.

There are tons of video on YouTube. Look it up. You’ll have to crack a game to play it without Steam, and me telling you how to do that is illegal. Here’s about the offline.

You mod APKs by unpacking them, like any other compressed, sometimes-encrypted file, and then editing them as usual with the correct applications.

There’s a bit of a discussion over here. It was using Farsight’s method that I was able to look at the code from steam.

1 Like

This is just not true - unless it is the publisher’s wish to include the DRM … there are many DRM free games offered on Steam and I have one such that I took completely off Steam running right now in my background as I type this.

That falls under the “offline” part; it doesn’t count unprotected games.

no. I am playing it without Steam. I know what I speak of because I’ve been doing this with this publisher’s library since they went to Steam years ago. Thank you.

Cool. Maybe you should start a topic, give everyone tips, make a tutorial, then.

Yeah, I’d really appreciate it as I’m pretty clueless about Steam, since I actually avoid using it whenever I can.

Too bad that more user friendly things such as Good Old Games (GOG) don’t seem to do CoG-like apps.

1 Like

It all depends on CoG policy and wishes - maybe someone like @jasonstevanhill can clarify for us.

Since Steam is derailing this topic, I’ll start a new Steam thread.

1 Like

Not so much concerned about offline as I am about being able to mod things and peek at the code so I can divine how to get some of the more tricky achievements.

So, what happens to the games I already bought in the store? Because from what I gathered from that one linked article, all the burden of preserving them lies on the developers.

You can redownload them onto your android phone or tablet at any time.

I don’t see how exactly I can do that. CWS is unaccessible on android and the apps are separate (meaning I’d have to pay for the sndroid version).