Choice of the Vampire - community input [SEE POST 1305]

Hey Jason. Thanks for the quick reply. So perception 2 is supernatural but stealth 2 isn’t? Do you think an option for perception 2 would still be viable as it was when the point gain was randomised?

Yeah I mean the between chapter updates where one of the options is advancing in the society. Usually there’s a point up about a chance meeting with someone important. Do you think it could be fleshed out?

Stealth 2 is also supernatural.

It’s “you write to someone” and “engage them in a back-and-forth.” It’s not an in-person encounter.

Yes, I think I could add that.

Oh okay, it just read to me like a chance encounter. Do you think there’s room for a little flavouring about how the character got an important vampire’s contact details? Perhaps she nicked it off her Dominus’ desk and shoved it down her dress or something! :laughing:

The website won’t let me upload a screenshot but the comment “In fact, you manage to engage Abel Bowater, the Senator of Savannah, in a brief back-and-forth. You also learn that he is the offspring of Henry Townsend, the Governor of Philadelphia.” Sounded like an encounter in person.

Thank you @apple for the code. I’m slow to learn but I always have fun! :grin:

I noticed that I never received questions of faith, and when I went to check the code, it was blank. Was this intentional?

The questions_of_faith scene was moved into exodusters @187ff.

The free Lore point comes from correctly instruction Cecil in the ways of the Society (and having lore < 3). So, I’m not sure what you’re saying.

So, it works only on a mortal or only on a vampire?

1 Like

Fixed.

@jasonstevanhill

As it stands, it’s basically a modified version of stealth, appropriate for one-on-one situations.

That would make Withers and Vicksburg a “cannot miss event”. What about people who don’t bother staying long in Vicksburg or “go underground” to wait out the conflict?

My suggestion: Make it something we can learn from our Dominus. Currently, I only talk to Estefania & Jesse because they’re the only ones that can teach us stuff (languages).

My biggest issue with how it stands now is that we’re looking at the wrong attribute. I think it is more appropriate for this to be under WILLPOWER. I mean think about it, we are literally imposing our will on another and making them forget/alter whatever just happened.

Also, adding this to CHARM would make it overpowered. This memory jinx + the “paralyze” we can learn in Vicksburg? It’s not even a contest.

3 Likes

@jasonstevanhill When speaking to Maffi about Tryphon at the LPE she mentions Sostrate being killed by Crusaders in 1453 if you have not heard of Sostrate before. Should this not be Ottomans instead? Or was Sostrate killed in 1204?

2 Likes

Ste.-Chapelle inducts you into the Freemasons if you notice his badge.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken the superstition/rationalism stat also matters. And also the religion. I think Jason once mentioned something about that.

@jasonstevanhill

Also, I get the option to “First, I inquire if Aichinger would be willing to forgive my debt to him if I see Slattery punished.” but I already cleared my debt with when I confirmed that no one was plotting against him.

2 Likes

@jasonstevanhill This is a really minor nitpick that’s been in the back of my mind for a while, that I kept forgetting to bring up because it’s so minor.

But perhaps instead of “Madeline” in the selection for female French names, it could be “Madeleine” instead? As far as I know, Madeleine is the native French derivative of Magdalene, whereas Madeline is the anglicized version. You’ll find women named Madeleine as far back as fifteenth-century France, but the records for French women named Madeline note that it has a far more recent appearance. (Even then, they are still relatively rare.)

Madeline

In contrast, Madeleine numbered in the thousands of named girls per year in its heyday.

Madeleine

5 Likes

Yeah sorry. I had it written down from a previous character, a few weeks ago, where the lore point wouldn’t be obtained in those circumstances.

I checked and it now works.

However, since Aichinger mentions West hates crosses, could an atheist character, particularly if he’s also a priest, have the option to use crosses on West?

2 Likes

Once blood types and blood transfusion and preservation of blood get discovered in the 20th century, could a vampire whose motivation for vegetarianism is their desire to not harm humans switch to drinking preserved blood (that is to be discarded as medical waste)?

1 Like

Probably, though the anti-coagulants may cause issues.

@jasonstevanhill If you are a German Male you get this scene during character creation.

However, this makes no sense, as your family is from Pennsylvania. Should you not get the Yankee/Southerner version of this scene or not at all?

2 Likes

I was wondering that if the MC is a scion of West could there be an option to reflect upon and potentially mourn his demise (at the end of St Louis), despite knowing of the monster he had become?

For a Vegetarian MC how much capital is required to purchase the pig farm?

2 Likes

You only need $200k, but you need to have $1M in order to spend the $200k.

Though, I’m going to make a calculation so that $income is factored in, since $income represents assets. You should be able to purchase it even if your liquid cash is too low.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the help, I actually managed to reveal his perfidy today.
Just one question, and I’m very sorry that I keep bringing up the same plot point. Do you need to support a particular candidate in order to discover Harding’s plot? Or is this something that you can do even if you stay neutral and affect the election as little as possible?
I’m just asking because, going into St.Louis, I’d like to have revealed Harding’s plot and I’m not sure if I can do it without sacrificing the character concept I’m going for.