Choice of the Vampire - community input [SEE POST 1305]

I wonder if Stone has sent a gift of salt to Adonis.

5 Likes

I found a possible bug, but it may have occurred from reloading a simple save. Basically, I had Withers teach my character to read and write, then when I romanced Clotho in Memphis, I got the text for her teaching my character to read and write. Heh, it made me wonder if my character failed a grade and had to repeat it :wink:

Not really a bug, but maybe something to put in a space or a little clarification. I wrote a letter to Rebecca Ashmore and also sent a message to Senator Lockridge asking why Ascher was very interested in Memphis history (basically discrediting him to Stone).

This text game up:
A letter arrives from Senator Ashmore. You find the letter surprisingly candid. Apparently, she herself maintains a correspondance with her descendants. She points out that she has faked her own death to her family a few times, and they now think her a distant cousin only known to them through her writings. While such relations are not exactly encouraged, they are not forbidden. Your words provoke a curious response. He thanks you for this bit of intelligence and promises that it will be put to good use. You wonder at the meaning of this.

Suggestion: This combined Ashmoreā€™s letter and Lockridgeā€™s letter into the same paragraph. Separating it, and maybe having something mentioning Lockridge by name might be good.

I can provide a screenshot for this if necessary.

There is a gender disagreement if you break up with Slattery, but he grabs your servant:
Original:
ā€œSee, boys, I told you sheā€™d see it my way!ā€ Slattery chuckles. ā€œWe could see to letting this goā€¦for five hundred dollars.ā€

ā€œWhy, thatā€™s ridiculousā€¦ā€ Maeve spurts, before Slattery twists her wrist again.

I pay Slattery off.
ā€œTake her to jail. Iā€™ll have him out by morning.ā€

Suggestion:
In the very last line ā€˜Take her to jail. Iā€™ll have him out by morningā€™ The second sentence uses ā€˜himā€™ when it should be ā€˜herā€™ in this moment.

1 Like

I hope Iā€™m not troubling you if I ask for some assistance in uncovering why it always fails.
I know the gist of it. Partridge is deliberately preventing the election at Hardingā€™s command but I just find it impossible to have my character discover it.

1 Like

How high is your characterā€™s perception?

At the '77 Caucus you have to corner Partridge. This requires a check of Willpower 3, Agility 4, or Status 2 and to have noticed Partridgeā€™s indecision. Then you need either ((intelligence > 2) and ((streetwise > 0) and ((status > 0) and (perception > 1))) or over 60 relationship with Bailey, Lockridge, Santagostino, or Applethorp to realize the plan and get the achievement.

(Perception 5 works too, but that is impossible to achieve without cheating.)

2 Likes

Also, I wonder if we could ever tell Therese Maffi that she pointed the PC on the right path if PC is a vegetarian and learned about it from her. I wonder how she would react.

2 Likes

Is there any way a non-combat MC might survive a confrontation against West?

nope

1 Like

If you get your $west_downfall to 4, youā€™ll survive. But if you have $combat of 7 or less and you donā€™t prepare for the battle, then you die.

2 Likes

Say, how would one achieve this? I never look at the code, so I am unsure what this is.

But are you also saying, that without high combat you will die regardless? :thinking: I know I have done so plenty of times, hehā€¦ :sweat_smile:

I noticed that you did put science on the list as a possible future addition to weaponry against West. Do you think that when you put it in, a high technology and intelligence score could make up for low strength and/or fighting?

EDIT: Oh! I just noticed that you crossed it off yesterday! Time to playtest again! :smiley:

1 Like

Is there a way for the PC to avoid confrontation with West other than ghosting Hiram and the others?

If you say youā€™re not going, itā€™s not ghosting.

That said, if you want to propose some other way of handling it, Iā€™m all ears.

In other news, Iā€™ve added something that Iā€™ve been intending to do for a long time: the verba oblivionis. Basically, it allows you to scramble several minutes of a mortalā€™s memories.

• It only works in the moment, you canā€™t erase something from an hour ago or a week ago.
  • It only clouds a few minutes of memory.
  • It only works on one person at a time.
  • It only works on mortals.

The problem is, I need yā€™all to tell me where to implement it!

You can learn it for free from Withers at the end of Vicksburg if you ā€œwinā€ there (instead of getting Charm 4); you do have to have a Charm of 2 (or more) to learn it. You can also develop it on your own after Memphis.

So, where are moments that could have been made easier/different if you could erase the past five minutes from a mortalā€™s memory?

3 Likes

Immediately coming to mind are the memory wipes already available but inaccessible behind Charm 5, and saving failed Stealth or Hunting tests. Will edit with more later.

Iā€™m thinking of convincing humans to go after West like cannon fodder? My character has connections in the criminal underworld, maybe he can send some thugs to deal with him? There was an option for that when you chose to go after West but he just tore through the crowd like nothing lol. Maybe use charm to convince more people to help Hiram and Co. and with good enough connections within the criminal underworld obtain some firearms which the mob or the vampires can use against West? I know it sounds ridiculous so I apologize in advance.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, does this solely work on mortals? If it worked on vampiresā€¦ oh boy.

1 Like

Hey everyone, long time reader; first time commenter. Just wanted to weigh in a little on the beta.

Firstly, on the debt system, could it be developed a little bit more? In Memphis Bailey can express his gratitude for the uncovering of the perfidy and the stopping of the whiskey ring, could a debt be claimed for either one of these? It could mean at the start of St Louis, when the character claims a home in Baileyā€™s territory, that rather than a debt being incurred, the whole thing could be called even. Ditto with Aitchinger, if one took his side on the Ring.

Secondly, thereā€™s a scene early on where we get to add a point into a few different things. This is the one before confronting the vampire interloper and before Jesse arrives. Could an option for a perception point be added? Since level 2 in a trait, isnā€™t supernatural then it makes sense that a character could improve their observation skills, right?

Thirdly, when thereā€™s an option to improve oneā€™s society status, could the random encounter with a vampire by expanded upon a little a bit? Maybe a brief conversation or how the character ended up bumping into a vampire. Could be nice for flavour?

Fourthly, the scene after West is defeated, where the player snaps at Becard at about Elliotā€™s nephew and says ā€œWhat do you propose?ā€. Could this be modified so if the character has a good relationship with Becard or has higher compassion or something, the two could comfort each other or something along that line?

Fifthly on ThĆ©rĆØse Maffi (some inspiration from FĆ¼r Elise, perhaps?). Sheā€™s interesting as a vampire heroine, in that she tries to do all this good, but comes across in every encounter as a bit of a bitch, no offence. Partly, I imagine, because of the diet of animal blood and the constant struggle against her vampiric nature. But could you give her some dialogue options where she looks more sympathetically on a black or Indian character, maybe offers them some kinder advice or something like that?

Sixthly, if the character flees or kills West at the start and gets adopted, they donā€™t get the Lore point at the Cecil Lynch event.

Seventhly, in the Charles Parish the character, in the confrontation with the first priest, is almost pushed into saying that theyā€™re a god or lord. There doesnā€™t really seem to be much room for a character to define themselves as trying to stay away from the village, even if the townsfolk insists on getting in their faces. Could some more options be made to accommodate that?

Finally, I donā€™t know how to access the code and read it properly. Could anyone help? I just want to see how the west downfall points work, because itā€™s hard to know if Iā€™ve discovered a point or it hasnā€™t shown because of a bug or whatever.

Hope these points are helpful Jason.

Also @mistylavenda @vulkod love your artwork!

Edit @mistylavenda: Could there even be an option, to chat to Lockridge straight after and ask him the same question, thereby learning about his text on the subject? A curious character might want to ask a few people at the party about the topic to learn as much as possible.

4 Likes

Perhaps after Bailey and Partridge answer what a Shepherd or Wolf is, there could be a follow-up question asking where the terms come from. Thus, learning about the Shepherds and Wolves text. I know my canon-run MC would be very curious about this in the moment.

Since you only get two questions for each conversation, itā€™d obviously only activate if you asked about shepherds and wolves first.

Conversation at the 1873 reception

EDIT: Also, it seems a bit strange to worry about humans being on edge if the MC feeds on animals.

Summary

And shepherd credentials should be raised, not lowered, if I'm not mistaken.

1 Like

Two things.

1. My next big addition is going to be a more developed debt system, so you can trade debts that you have instead of incurring new ones.
  2. I like where your headā€™s at w/r/t Bailey. Iā€™ll take a look.

Perception 2 is supernatural.

Do you mean during the between-chapter upgrades?

1 Like

Here you go, have fun in the code!
3 Likes