Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

I’d say I like most what you’ve done with setting up Hector as a villain. The battle in Chapter 3 with him and the early prologue scenes frame him well. I expect him to get brought into line by his father after the thrashing of his horse ridding sheep, but stick around as an annoying thorn in our side for awhile.

I probably most like Zvad but am annoyed, frustrated, and scared that he would leave if we chose to fight the phalangites. I’m not unsurprised I was just hoping I could convince him to stay. I expect him to come visit us when we visit the Pan of Zeric next fall though. It’d be disappointed if we had to come calling on him or his clan.

3 Likes

Probably Simon, so cute so horribly naive (or else the best actor of the whole band).
Bleys the Telone is also starting to grow on me for some reason.

I should probably give Hector a mention too after all the game not only depends on the quality of our “allies” but our enemies as well and the author has certainly done a pretty good job of making both my mc and myself really hate Hector. My mc really hates his former “master” more than anything else in the world, which doesn’t exactly do wonders for my mc’s opinion of other people of his social caste and class, particularly not after Gan’s betrayal.

2 Likes

Who the heck is simon, i played it 2 times and i didn’t met any simon

Simon de Firiac, the male counterpart to Suzanne, make Breden female and keep your anarchy score low and he’ll come to you. :wink:

Oh well i know why i don’t meet him my anarchy is always high, so how do you keep it low then??

I’ve thought about this. Most would say: this NPC or that NPC but my favorite character in your story so far is the MC and the wide range of choices you are giving to make the MC truly different … I love the story is allowing more depth and more variance in our development of the MC and I like the natural progression that is made.

My MC will continue to develop into the Empress she was born to be. Quite simple :wink:

5 Likes

Lemme guess you’re playing an evil aristo too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Well, @Havenstone did say:

but everyone knows my MC is the heroine :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well my mc doesn’t believe in the caste system nonsense, so in his view nobody was born to be anything in particular and he believes even less in what the Shayardene Codex seems to espouse (assuming the Laconniers are an accurate reflection of it of course) that what makes a family or a dynasty is their bloodline, instead of the far more sensible position that it is all about the family name. :wink:

1 Like

I’m gonna go and say I really like the way you’re writing Hector in the first game. He’s framed well, it’s easy to see who he is and what he does, it comes to mind easily (he’s very angry at people below him treating him with contempt, like the helot MC and the aristo MC to a lesser degree, maybe that’s rage born of insecurity, but I’m speculating) . I also like his rivalry with the MC.

And my second choice would be Calea, who looks like a much more levelheaded version of her brother. I’m curious to see how she views the rebellion. As for both of them, maybe they’ll develop into recurring antagonists for the books. Or maybe, not. I mean, you did mention they would be ROs, but I can’t imagine any of them siding with a helot-centric rebellion like idnlu’s.

4 Likes

Even though she’s a minor character, my favourite might be Ecclesiast Olynna. She and the aristo MC’s mother have shaped the values that led my MC to rebel. I enjoyed hearing Linos discuss how some priests recognize that the Order of Xthonos is not the same as the Order of the Thaumatarchy. It would be interesting to hear more about how Ecclesiast Olynna decided to become an Ecclesiast, and how she felt about providing at least some support for the Karagond regime. Assuming she’s still alive, I wonder whether her faith in Xthonos remains unshaken after what she’s suffered (my guess is yes) and how she would react to an Eclect MC. My MC is willing to hit hard against the Thaumatarchy, but wants to minimize bloodshed, so I’m hoping Shayardene Codex will help to stabilize a new order. (I’m also looking forward to seeing more of Ismene de Galis, as another connection to the aristo MC’s mother.)

6 Likes

Mine would be Horion, Zvad, and Elery though she dies in the Harrowing in most of my playthroughs (which I haven’t done in a while). Horion because he is an intellectual, aligns to some of my goals, and I like his sense of humour. Not entirely sure why I like Zvad and Elery though. They just struck me likeable. Suzanne and her deceased sister, and the de Meres get honourable mentions because I find them to be sympathetic nobility.

1 Like

Zvad and suzane well mostly zvad, zvad never questions me when he is your right hand man while suzane i just wish i can change her view about the helots right as a human being that everyone should be treated equally

And also my father… Can i just kill him? Pls and does the backstory of our mothers death in the story? Like how she died?

2 Likes

She died of natural causes but that doesn’t answer your question because you didn’t ask how she died, you asked if how she died is mentioned in the story. The answer to your question is yes. Yes it does.

I figure he’ll die when I marry Breden, his daughter having a helot wife will too much for his bitter old heart :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Think anyone will actually get that lucky? That bastard will live forever just to spite us lol

2 Likes

He won’t live to spite me, he’ll live for me to spite him. I’m not letting him die till I become Empress and have him whipped while quizing him on how I’ve ruined our family and will never amount to anything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

So far my favorite is the ruthless noble national mc. He doesn’t actually care about the helots, they are a means to an end, though he does agknowledge that they have a rough lot in life and he would strive to make their lives easier, and make nobles accountable for their actions against them, but he doesn’t want to change the status quo as far as the helotry or nobility goes. Religion is a means to an ends for him so he usually appears devout, despite his actual feelings. However this doesn’t stop him from making enemies of the church as he sees the church itself as a hegmon institution keeping fellow shayardenes repressed and embittered against each-other. I typically don’t attack fellow nobles, but if I did an actual legitimate role play play through as this character I would have to attack the nobles who he sees as traitors to the shayardene legacy. Also, I would like to see an option where a noble mc rebuffs the lanconiers at some point because he has ambitions to become king/queen of shayard, or simply because he doesn’t see it possible for the true blood of the gryphon to be alive and hidden amongst other nobility. I still can’t wait until this game is done, gonna buy the shit out of this game haha.

1 Like

Possible error: leading a raid on the mine as a male helot, I get the following:
You talk over the plan of battle with the rest of the party.
Hesitantly at first but with growing excitement, Elery suggests various
ways you could use the terrain to your advantage. “See what’s left of
that dam, kuria… where they built up water to hush away the spoil from
the ore-fires? The hushing gully’s got wider since the rains started,
and I’ll wager their watch posts don’t properly overlook it.”

Should it not be a masculine address?

I’ve been thinking, and wouldn’t it be interesting to meet more artists (painters, playwrights) as we move into the bigger cities of Shayard? And how about making a few of them our allies and using their skills to the use of the rebellion?

1 Like