An neverending medieval RPG

Okay, well my idea would be do a combo of stats to create one variable for jousting, and make it determine half of some set points. Then take into account the horse for 1/4 part. Then a random amount will set up the last 1/4 (so say max possible is 200 as in 100 from skills, 50 from horse, and at best 50 from luck.)

And then i’d set up the competition with different skill levels, as in those under 100 max (with their attributes/horse. This would be a set figure) but they have small cash rewards. So the player can train, buy better horse, and progress, but it will also have a fair amount of chance, as would real life.

Thats just what I would do

http://neverend.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page there are a few that won’t matter to you but this is a good reference idea.

That is a lot

Not sure if this will help, but removing the <p> and </p> in the index.html will make the extra stat charts appear in line, other than stacked.

@Daisuke, this WILL help, I honestly didn’t know how to do that, thanks for your help, I’ll try right away.

@Raven, so I should add an attribute called “Luck”? Also, I will consider Jousting later, as of now I’m focusing on releasing the demo (which won’t have Jousting, neither Warmachine building; it will only have a village where you can do anything except jousting).

@theultimatechooser, thanks for that link, some of them will indeed help me!

I am interested to see how this story game turns out

No, just use *rand for luck.

So you have six (or so) stats:
“horse_quality” (The quality of your horse)
“horsemanship” (Your own ability to ride a horse)
“knight_fighting” (You mentioned this was already a stat)
“random_roll” (This is used to randomize things a bit)
“joust_roll” (This is how well you do on the joust)
“target_number” (This is how well you have to do to win)

Then (assuming the numbers are on a 1-100 scale):

*rand random_roll 1 99
*set joust_roll random_roll
*set joust_roll + horse_quality
*set joust_roll + knight_fighting
*set joust_roll + horsemanship
*set target_number (This will depend on how hard you want to make the joust)
*if joust_roll > target_number
  *goto win_joust
*else
  *goto lose_joust

@Reaperoa, I see, but what’s the point of “random_roll” ? As I can’t see where it is used.

@Daisuke, it worked, thanks!
Also, news about the deadline of the demo. Instead of releasing it on 6th of August I changed it to 7th or 8th of August since I am a beta tester of the upcoming CoG game “The Fleet”.

Some more news…
What would you guys think about adding naval sieges? Like for example you could siege an enemy village with your frigate or transporter, if you want to. You’d have to fight more ships in a row (2 to 4, depending on the village) and if you win all the fights, you get to sail on to the village, point at which I have to think what happens next.
Also, the moment I’ll upload the demo, I’ll also make a new thread for the game, containing the link to the demo in the first post (demo which will have the game’s manual in it so I won’t bother posting the game mechanics in the first post) and the game’s blog (the blog will be quite innovative; can you guess what it’d be like?).

When I’ll upload the demo, the game will have a name, so if you want to suggest any, go ahead, there’s time only until the 7th of August!

It would be great and if there are ships that you have to destroy can you capture it like boarding it

@AlexCosarca this sounds like this game would/has taken a long time to make. I applaud your work in it, but I fear for gameplay. First, how will you be able to play the game once you have beaten the storyline? Will you be able to play on, or will it be somewhat like Fable 1 where you did all this cool stuff, theres so much more for you to do, you beat the last boss and then you have to make a new character?

ALSO if this game is as succesful as it seems like it would be, it sounds like it would be very long (as you said, neverending). Will there be a save system? This seems EXTREMELY important.

You also mentioned having items in your inventory. Will you have a chest to put your items into so you can keep some items you want while still being able to not have your stats decreased?

And last but not least, you said something about energy, and when you use it all up, you will have to sleep. What if you are in the middle of an extremely important part of the game, and then you run out of energy? Will you pass out and wake up in your bed? Or will you be stuck there, forced to make a new character?

The first and second line of the coding section make use of ‘random_roll’. You can also just *rand joust_roll and not bother with an extra stat at all, but I used random_roll to illustrate the idea.

Btw @Reaperoa thank you for supplementing my idea with actual knowledge (:

@Brimstone, yes, you could take ships for prizes, like in CoB.

@GoldenFantom I’ll make sure you never do lose energy at important parts, but if you do however run out of it when doing nothing (i.e. walking around villages) you have a chance of losing all your wealth and regaining half of the energy you’d had if you had slept. If you run out of it at home, it’s no problem, as well. The saving system exists, whenever you go in your house and in your room, you can save the game. And about playing the game after completing the storyline, you can just live like a normal person with your current character in this world, you can play from the beginning again, or you can just try making achievments (which are there just to keep you playing after the storyline, that is, if you want to).

@Reaperoa all right, after I finish the demo I will focus on jousting, and then, I’ll focus on sailing/delivery quests and combat.

EDIT: When you run out of energy, you pass out because of being too tired, that’s what’ll happen in the game.

News: I made the date tracking system: You can see the exact date and year in the “Info” button. Everytime you sleep, a day passes; You can only sleep if tired (i.e. if energy is under 50). I made the jousting competitions in every village occasional (in the current village, jousting will only happen on a certain day of the week, every week).

Should I add also celebrations, now that I have the date tracking systems? Like for example the birth date of the in-game player, or certain real-life celebrations that were existing in the medieval times. If you do have any suggestions, tell me which celebration I should add, and what should happen in the game during that celebration.

@AlexCosarca
Will you be able to age, and eventuallity die from old age? Since this is ‘neverending’ i’m not really sure if your aiming for your character to ever get older.

@Daisuke I don’t think I’ll make it so you die when you’re old, but even if I would, everyone would still get to play from 23 years to I think 80 as the limit, so it would take a while to die from old age. But that’s just going to make people angry if they die, I think, as they may have played a lot that far and suddenly, just die.

well if there is going to be a save system could there be ways to die and if you do you can just reload from the old save?