*if conjure > 7
*set cname “fire breathing dragon”
*if conjure > 5
*set cname “monstrous ogre”
*if conjure > 3
*set cname “giant bear”
*if conjure > 1
*set cname “dire wolf”

IF statements should be in oposite order. This way you always get cname = dire wolf

*if conjure > 1
*set cname “dire wolf”
*if conjure > 3
*set cname “giant bear”
*if conjure > 5
*set cname “monstrous ogre”
*if conjure > 7
*set cname “fire breathing dragon”
*if conjure > 9
*set “mighty elder dragon”

@Rasko_Kruscic While I appreciate the input, how can you see my code?

Because they are magician.

How to See Code on Dashingdon.com this, I…think?

1 Like

@anon57188313 Thanks for the heads up. The link is now dead.

Does anybody host their game anywhere besides Dashing Don? Has anybody else ever had this problem with people reading their code without permission?

1 Like

Can you notify me as well, in case of finding a solution to that, i was reading this topic and the moment i saw this post…i was not amused. That is seriously annoying.

What’s wrong with being able to see the code? If the author doesn’t have much experience with DashingDon then having someone more knowledgeable in how the coding works can be a boon. They can give you tips or suggest fixes.

5 Likes

Many beta testers delve into the code, it is the easiest way to see if something that seemed wrong is meant to be or just a mistake. I do not really understand why that angers you?
Also it is easiest to look for mistakes without selecting every choice one hundred times

5 Likes

anyone can see a game’s code even after its released its not really rocket science you can peep at and edit codes of all games including titles like CoD, GTA, RDR if you know where to look :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Cant people abuse that, to create cheats…and mod the apk?

It does not really make sense to do that with a demo, most people make the cheats with the full game. Since changes in the beta could make the cheats useless. So that would be nothing I would be concerned with before the full game releases. That beta testers read the code is normally nothing more than reduce the time you need to give proper feedback. You can just read the texts, so you can more easily show the author where to find the error. Some errors like the one posted above would likely not been catched that easily.

If the concern is linked to somebody might afterwards not buy the game and just copy the code, of course this is a possibility, but most users I know buy almost every game they like, sometimes just to help the author. And lets be realistic, a good game sells more than 1000 copies, the less than 100 people here in the forum and on dashing don would not make much of a difference, even when we, against all odds, asume every one would just be here for free games thefts.

2 Likes

While I appreciate what you are saying, the problem I had was with the way things were done.

Imagine you are walking through your neighborhood. You see a house that looks really nice from the outside, but you can see through the living room window that a picture isn’t quite hung correctly. And the house belongs to someone you have never met, in fact you just moved to town yesterday and don’t know anyone at all. (The tag above says first post ever)

If you really want to be helpful, you might be the type of person that would knock on the door, introduce yourself, and say, “I thought you might want to know that the picture over there is tilting way to one side.”

What happen to me was, that someone I have never met broke in my house while I was not at home, straightened up the picture, and then left a note on the community bulletin board telling me that he had done it.

Even knowing that I could open someone else’s code file, I personally would never do so without knocking on the door and asking first. The most I would do is say, hey something doesn’t seem to be working correctly, if you want help with the coding let me know and I will look at it.

Either way Jumo provided a solution. I have moved the game to a different link on Dashing Don, and Don set that page up so that I can upload the Compiled HTML file instead of all the separate text files. If you find and open the .txt files on the new game you get a bunch a files with a single line saying that they are empty.

Eventually, when I get the game closer to finished, I will start a new thread and post the new link for beta testing again. For right now, I have two teenagers and a wife that are testing the game for me.

I want to thank all the folks who have helped me so far, especially the two or three who posted over and over again - sometimes with the same issue. A special thanks to @anon8836198 who has answered both of the technical questions that I had.

Cheating and hacking a WIP - a free, unfinished and broken product - is significantly different from pirating the full game… if that’s what you’re hinting at. Not only are the versions different, a game that has been published comes with added security measures to prevent people from “stealing” it. Meanwhile, with demos, most people are really just trying to help you out.

@SilverSurfer
A true situation of “breaking in into your house, straightening the picture and leaving a note”, as you put it, would have been Rasko_Ruscic taking a look at your code, making all the inputs and tweaks they deem necessary and then uploading it afterwards. (I’m not sure if this is possible though… just sayin’.)

All he really did was take a look through the window and tell you about it. So it’s kind of ironic… :confused:
In truth, being able to peek into the game’s code has been a thing for a while now, many authors actually appreciate the gesture since it helps them out… you just weren’t aware of it. But this is your game so you do you.

11 Likes