How to See Code on Dashingdon.com

Is the game you’re testing hosted on Dashingdon?
Great!

Here’s a walkthrough:

1. Create a folder
    1a. Rename it to the name of the game you’re testing.

2. Go to dashingdon.com
    2a. Click on the name of the game you’re testing.
    2b. (For illustration purposes, we will test “After: Zero Life” by Bonnie Scheeler)

3. You should be at: https://dashingdon.com/play/jezebelthenun/after-zero-life-wip/mygame/index.php?cb=24846
    3a. Change the URL to: https://dashingdon.com/play/jezebelthenun/after-zero-life-wip/mygame/scenes/
    3b. What we have done here is to go to the list of scenes. You can do this with any game on dashingdon.com by changing the URL to: …mygame/scenes/
    3c. Open all of the links, one by one if you have to.
    3d. Example: If you click on “startup.txt” it will take you to to startup.txt
    3e. If using Firefox, click on File --> Save As
    3f. A screen should pop up asking you what you want to save it as.
    3g. Pick the default settings, but save the file in the folder you made earlier.
    3h. Repeat for all the files in the list of scenes.

4. If you don’t have Notepad++, download and install it.
    4a. Using Notepad++, open all the text files in the folder you made earlier.
    4b. Since Notepad++ can easily switch between opened text files (you just click on whatever tab you want to see), it is now very easy to run the game in your browser and follow along with Notepad++.
    4c. Easily make notes of where you found an error by looking at the name of the text file in your current tab in Notepad++ (for example startup.txt), then by looking at the line number where the error (such as a typo) occurred.
    4d. Example Feedback: day_1.txt, Line 105: I think the stats should be changed differently in this fake_choice (insert your details here).
    4e. This way the author can easily reference your suggestion.
    4f. Thank you for reading!

33 Likes

I think the thread’s title should be changed to “How to see the code of dashingdon hosted WIPs” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Or “How to cheat by reading the raw code”

6 Likes

Agreed. I’ve changed the thread title @Carlos.R.

1 Like

Hey guys! Could someone help me with this. When we beta test some games or they are on dashing don. Could we somehow turn them in off line copy where we can even see there codes? It doesn’t seems possible to me but I know that I know almost too little.

It helps me a lot when games has no save option. In this format games can always be saved and try again and again.

If I understand what you are asking, then yes, it is always possible to see the entire code of a game, known as the “scene files.”

All CS games are simply a collection of text tiles (.txt) which any device can read.

1 Like

@Userdied1 I have moved your question to this thread, which will teach you how to see code on Dashingdon if you scroll up to the top post. In the future, please try to ask questions in the right topic and thread. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks Rinari. I did try but I guess I did not search enough.

Could we make it in off line way like a game and view starts there also? This way I can save game where ever in start or end I may be in game if it’s off line as we buy from store. Then I can just install game with app data. Without having to lose the save and starting from start for wrong decision. Many games for beta test do not have save option and many games on dashing don have been finished but not in market and have no save option.
I know it may not be very helpful but it would be for me

Hello @userdied1 you seem to be very hesitant to use the search function (the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner of your screen) :grinning:

1. Games on DashingDon have the option of implementing a save system, but it is up to the author to enable it. Some authors choose not to do so.
  2. ChoiceScript games cannot be played offline. This is for a variety of reasons.

Sorry, but this is just the way it is.

2 Likes