Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven, Part 3 - releasing 3/3/2022

Hi, I just found another problem with chapter 11, and it is that the light sources appears blocked for some reason, I don’t know if it is because of something about my character or a code error, but I wanted to see if someone else had this problem or is it just me

1 Like

@JimD I just replayed parts 1 and 2, and I find it weird that I have to play an instrument and sing separately. Could we possibly have a unique option to relieve stress that would give the benefits of two sessions in the time of one if you picked either playing the keyboard and singing, or playing the guitar and singing?

7 Likes

I found this for my restart!

1 Like

Pretty good, but i do have a complaint near the end of the story

When the new army send soldiers to attack, why can’t we have the option to fight back instead of running away by default? It is quite odd considering you could set up a very tough defense system and support from the Vanguard and the MC themselves could have high combat skill, while they only sent a dozen soldiers so maybe an alternative route where you fight them, win, lose relationship with the New army faction and opportunity to loot some more?

6 Likes

I would like to point out a small observation regarding skill points. For this explanation, assume that I’m using a custom profession and are starting with 125 skill points, using the full system, bonuses and all that. Now, when I select to start part 2, I see that the extra upgrade days have been taken into account and will start with 6 extra skill points when intelligence is below 55, or eight extra skill points when intelligence is at 55 or higher. In other words, when selecting to start part 2, I will begin with 131 skill points when intelligence is below 55, or 133 skill points when intelligence is 55 or higher. Now, when I choose to play part 3, none of this is taken into account. According to this logic, we are suppose to start part 3 with 9 bonus skill points if intelligence is lower than 55, or 12 bonus skill points if intelligence is 55 or higher.

2 Likes

@Denzil_Melgior_Nagel I’m assuming this stuff will be taken into account once it releases. The author told me that there are a lot of variables from past parts that aren’t taken into account in the beta. Assuming this part will be a direct continuation of the same program (as part 2 was), this likely won’t even need to be addressed, seeing as the stats from the previous parts carry over seamlessly because it’s literally just an update to the existing game.

1 Like

In chapter 11, public beta, It won’t let me choose any of the options because of coding or something, I don’t know if anyone else is having that problem. It’s when your doing the lone scouts. I chose to scavenge the cottage and I’m talking to the woman. I was asking her what a Liver is. I tried the other options and they aren’t working either.
@JimD

I wish another character could sing. I’d love someone who sounds like Billy Rafoul or Upsahl.

I have noticed a couple spots where my “a step below the Winter Soldier” character isn’t allowed to simply kill whatever threat is in front of him. Once with the Red Mamba fight in the museum and once here.

In fairness I’m sure it’s hard to make a plot work when someone has used all the extra skill points to make a super soldier that basically trivializes a good chuck of post apocalypse dangers. Hard to make the silverthorn feel like a threat when it feels like my MC could just sneak in and kill them all.

1 Like
Notes up to the end of the security room.

@{(v_size = 3) Tree limbs brush the top of your ${vehicle}, scraping the roof.|Tree limbs hang across, causing you to slow your ${vehicle} out of fear of hitting them. Luckily your vehicle fits under them}.

This will result in a double full stop for size 3 vehicles.

The occasional tire track shows on the road, but no other signs of traveler can be seen throughout the area.

Should be “signs of travelers”.

After driving for fifteen minutes, the road ends to a narrow turnabout sending traffic back the way it came.

I think this should be “the road ends with…”

you find a path heading away from the mountains that zigzags.

I think this would read better as “a path that zigzags away from the mountains.”

You check through your gear but cannot find any alcohol or beer.

Does beer not count as alcohol?

take out your ${hammer} and flip it around to use the claw for leverage.

Should be either ${temp_item} or just “hammer”.

Also, the modifiers seem a little low here; there’s not really much difference between any of the tools aside from the crowbar, and are only really effective for people with athletics scores between 50 and 60.

The doorway resists the constant pressure, and the metal in your hands bends as you use all of your strength.

This makes some sense for most of the items, but I think your arms will bend before the crowbar does…

You use all of your strength and tug at the edge, fingers bending..

Another sentence that ends with a double full stop/period.

Now that you can digging farther

Should be “dig in”.

Just as your arms shake from the constant exertion, your @{(modifier >= 0) ${temp_item} slips|hands slip.}

Should have a full stop/period after “slips” too.

Stepping back, you abandoned this effort and consider another option for getting inside the depot.

Should be “abandon”.

If the camera’s working, there must be power feeding it. I’ll break out my laptop and see if I can connect to any networks in the area. Maybe I can use this to find a way to open the door. (Requires Electronics 65+)

Should this check if you have a powered laptop with you? And likewise for the later tests.

*selectable_if (gunpowder > 1) #Pack the edge of the door with gunpowder and light it on fire. It’s basic chemistry, and maybe I can use it to blast open the door. (Requires 2 gunpowders)
*set gunpowder -1

Shouldn’t it remove two gunpowders?

You make a trail of gunpowder a few feet from the door and liked it up.

You like the gunpowder and run for cover.

Both should be “light”.

As you enter the depot, you expect the door to slide closed behind you.

Why would you expect a door you exploded to close behind you?

On the center of the depot wall next to the doorway sits a keypad. The tiny number pad is coated in a thin layer of dust. If you can find the combination, you assume it will open the door when you need to leave.

This line appears even if you chose to block the door open. Also, it seems weird that there’s not a handle to leave; it seems like a fire risk.

Every “switch item” option in the first choice in the UseLight subroutine should change the value of curr_light_source (as the second choice block in the subroutine does), but none of them do.

“$firstname},” You hear a voice call from the front of the depot.

Needs an opening {; also, “You” shouldn’t be capitalised.

This one reads, sublevel & STORAGE.

Should be “SUBLEVEL”.

Compared to the others searching through similar depots, you’re Moving a bit too slowly.

“Moving” shouldn’t be capitalised; also this phrasing makes it sound like Jaime/Woody knew how far you’d got before the call. Maybe it should be “Compared to the others searching through similar depots, it sounds like you’re…”

I’ve been keeping them in the dark, not but the last time Billie was inside here

I don’t think you should have “not” there.

"He was my neighbor for a few years.

Only in the suburbs; other players never met him before.

There’s no such thing as being just were good.

I assume this should be “just or good.”

I can function at a high rate of efficiency for 1,798 minutes before recharging.

This is ~30 hours, not 24.

These generators are refilled by robotic workers on an as-needed basis.

Didn’t Sam say that Beavis was the only other robot there?

“Those two blips are members of the security team,” Sam says, reaching out with a telescoping finger. “Reyes and Myers.” He turns his wrist and lifts his finger to the large blip on Sublevel Alpha. “That marker represents Matteo. He is one of the software developers working on my last CPUs version. He has a snarky sense of humor and enjoys pranks that often go too far. Two weeks ago he stored a block of blue cheese in the air duct above Dr. Frost’s workstation in the Jefferson Laboratory. The stinky smell reviled the doctor. When it was discovered, it was quite amusing to all there except for Dr. Frost. Katrina laughed so hard Gatorade came out of her nose.”

Is there no blip for Katrina?

mounted canon

Should be “cannon” (multiple occurences).

His mechanical fingers move in one continuous accelerated pattern, like the legs of a crab skittering across the beach as it runs from a predator.

While I like this description, it seems weird that Sam wouldn’t just be able to access the computer wirelessly (or even just plug in).

you slip your hand behind the back piece of metal and feel something brush against her fingertips.

Should be “your fingertips.”

Now that you searched the desk, you Reach for the binders chained to the top.

Should be “have searched”, and “Reach” shouldn’t be capitalised.

@{light_on Read|Turn on a light and} through the addendum of the manual

Should be “Turn on a light and read…”

Contact @{woody_join Woody|Jaime} through the walkie-talkie

Shouldn’t the variable here be speaker?

I guess that’s not the worst thing to endure in the Apocalypse.

Should end with a quotation mark.

*if (main_ro != “”) and (second_ro != “”)
#“I’m in a relationship with someone and want to stay true to them.”

This should probably only check the main RO, otherwise people who only have a main RO wouldn’t be able to tell Julianne that they’re in a relationship.

I can see you haven’t set up many served that servers.

I assume that should be “SurvNet”.

1 Like

This problem is fixed now.

This is also fixed.

@ParrotWatcher thank you very much for all you’ve done to test this game and make it better!

As part of the Deep Sleeper challenge, you actually feel more fatigued as a result of being such a deep sleeper. At the start of the chapter, all fatigue is reset so this just gives a slight penalty for those with the challenge.

Thanks for pointing all of this out. I definitely need to consider the timeline.

That’s the plan!

I can do get the light sources to work with a premade. I will check it with other means of character creation. Thank you for checking.

It would take its considerable amount of time to do this. I can see and number of hobbies overlapping, like gardening and singing, singing and dancing, etc. It’s definitely realistic to combine them, but I don’t think I have the time. But I appreciate the suggestion!

Thanks for that screenshot. It will be fixed soon.

I considered this as a possible route, but it would be a pretty difficult fight to win. In fact it would take a highly trained person even with the defenses, getting help from the Vanguards, etc. it would also take a lot to write. I’m not saying it’s out of the question, but in terms of balance, and not sure how to make it so players without extra skill points could win.

To build on what @ClaimedMinotaur said, this skill point inconsistency is only true with the testing character builder. I just made a fairly simple character builder. It’s not perfect, and I could make a lot of tweaks, but we are almost at the end of the beta for this part, so I’m reluctant to make major changes.

if this is the issue that others reported, it should be fixed soon.

Balance is always tricky in these kinds of games. Even with the most skill points, I can’t code every possible outcome. I wish I could!

19 Likes

I suppose you could combine singing with basically anything, but nothing is as seemless as singing and playing. Singing and dancing is actually very difficult to do successfully, to the point that most musicians who do so are actually lip syncing. Singing and playing, on the other hand, is something you almost can’t help but do if you are able. Sucks that it would be too difficult to implement because I feel it would add a unique advantage to using both stress relievers on music. Ya, you don’t get to branch out for stat increases in other areas, but you get twice the stress loss in half the time.

3 Likes

Got this error when going to the cabin:

The error came with the option selected in the image, the museum one.

1 Like

So in part 3, I decided to play the coward and decided not to enter the research centre. Once I got back, this is what happened.
“I tried to speak to Reilly and Madison, but both told me to speak to you,” Rachel says, sitting on the corner of the desk.

“Were there any problems there?” Jaime asks.

“We had some trouble. We were attacked by a scientist in a greenhouse and another scientist imprisoned us for several hours, but we were able to escape.”
“We killed a few zombies but nothing out of the ordinary during this outbreak.” I don’t want them to know about Murphy.
“Nothing we couldn’t handle.” No need to worry them over something that’s not relevant to our ongoing survival.

So it looks like my character knows about Murphy even though the group never entered the research centre.

3 Likes

Jaime come to talk to my MC but then it suddenly becomes Bailey

3 Likes

Madison steps forwards as you finish your set. Madison appears to be biting her lip, and then she gives a grudging nod. “That was better than I expected. Don’t think this makes me some kind of groupie, though.”

You shake your head at her. “I would never think of you that way.”

“Good. I wouldn’t mind being your manager or your agent. You are so talented, and I am sure lots of people would pay money to hear you. If this outbreak ends, we are going to talk about getting you on YouTube and maybe even American Idol. My family has connections.”

“That sounds great,” you say.

She gives you a quick kiss on the cheek and runs back to her place with others in the small crowd to listen to the rest of your set.

You check the time—10:30 pm.

As you cross the Junkyard, you overhear Brody and Madison, who are entering through the main gates.

Is this mid level or high level, I kissed Madison and she miraculously wasn’t there.

5 Likes

@JimD

I noticed that even with the update you’ve given us (much appreciated btw).

You still haven’t given us that steamy romance scenes with Gina. Nor the one with Kelly.

If you don’t plan to add that in to the beta. Could you please add that in to the full update on part 3?

2 Likes

Should mention that requests for content are not allowed. However, with your particular issue, I think most would agree the romantic content has been one of the game’s strongest points so far, and that there’s no reason to expect it would be dwindled down as it goes on. More scenes are definitely in the plans, it’s simply a matter of patience.

I will have my own feedback soon. I’m actually currently redoing my Part 2 playthrough.

8 Likes

Just from this comment alone I think we’d get along in the apocalypse bud :wink:

2 Likes

Ah ok. Thank you for the heads up

1 Like