Zeus' Dilemma (WiP - Last Updated 06/14/21)

I really like this. What sticks out to me, though, is the wording for a couple lines of the weapon descriptions. I’m hoping other users who know more than me can also help in deliberating if it really matters it might not, in all honesty, but a couple small things stick out as unfortunately common misconceptions.

Keep in mind these are more like small nitpicks, but not critical if they won’t ultimately matter to the narrative. :wink:

I've highlighted the exact lines in a couple screenshots.

Archery’s strength is in very long range offense, no doubt in that, but it is a misconception that a bow can’t be used in close/r combat than long range defensively.

The exacting circumstances where a bow can’t protect its wielder are these:
First - The archer cannot move to evade, or keep a small gap between them, and their opposition. Being trapped in a space with limited room to draw the arrows back, specifically.
Second - There is more than one enemy there to split the singular archer’s focus, thus making them unable to defend their back, or sides as they move in to take the archer down. This scenario can be worse when cornered, of course, but being cornered by a single opponent is not enough of a threat to make the bow worthless for self defense. Dunno about you, but I would not want to be shot by an arrow from short range. Arrows fly faster at shorter than the bow’s max possible launch range.

I really hope this isn’t read with any type of negative tone in mind. It may come across that way based on what I have to say for the highlighted line here in the sword’s desc, though. :slightly_frowning_face:
Getting straight to the point: If you wanted to treat a sword like a sharp metal club, then yes–it can be easy to master… Still not liking my own wording. :grimacing:
No doubt it is easier than the dagger. In this there is no contest because daggers require even more precision to use well, but are often better used as a secret/surprise weapon than a sword. Swordsmanship is not as simple as picking one up and swinging it around, however. It takes footwork, endurance (long, solid piece of metal you would hope is not merely very sharp, but heavy enough to cleave if that’s how you are intended to wield it), as well as skillful finesse to turn your assailants away to give you the opening you need to defeat/finish them.

I decided against a screenshot for the spear, but the final line has a problem with underestimating the full potential of the weapon as a whole. Spears are powerful, but also probably one of the most defensive weapons a warrior can wield. Anyone who believes a spear loses potency at super close range is putting too much emphasis on the pointy bit, and not giving any attention to the long, very versatile shaft that wears the stabby spearhead. You don’t need to poke at your enemies to keep them back; clobber them away with a wide swing. If the spear can’t take it, it wasn’t built right.

Moving away from that, I’m enjoying the character interactions so far. The customization for the MC was actually refreshingly different, even if it follows the same basics. I credit that mostly to the not-at-all serious shampoo scene options. :joy:

Here’s my end code: 2232414223EBS

Edit: I really hope the weird formatting of my comment is just on my end. :sweat_smile:

@Jackpot1776 very appropriate, thanks for sharing :grin:
@Trazen4 Unfortunately, I’m kind of at my capacity for godly parents, but I thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking of making some shorts, maybe once I’m a good chunk of the way through this book, where you can pick one of the minor gods as a parent, because I really do love all of them, I just can’t write all of them :sob:. Also, now that I read it over, I’m definitely going to change redacted, thank you for the suggestion!
@Shadowking101 Unfortunately, that will not be happening this game. I can promise you that the non-godly parent is going to be interesting, though! Thanks for reading!
@Gildarth @Midnight-Angel @Zoroth He plays a major role in the next book, and I’m trying to stray away from gods and goddesses like that as parents (which is why Hermes and Apollo can’t be parents). However, I appreciate the suggestion, and if my writing skills could write every god as a parent, I would. But for now I must cap the number of parents at six. Thank you for the suggestion, and like I said above, he might show up in a short!
EDIT: I didn’t expect Thanatos to get this much love, and it makes me very happy that people appreciate the minor gods. I’ll definitely try include him as a parent somewhere (although not in the main line)!
@redfield Ahaha, I guess great minds think alike, and the greatest minds love Kent. Also thank you so much for the code and the love!
@Mei_Hiroshi Yes, the other two will definitely be more approachable and bubbly. I’m glad you like the demo and A!
@miss-hereandthere Oh, nice catch! And thank you for the sweet comment and the code, hope you enjoy the rest!
@LadyUmbreon89 Yes, this is all so helpful! In all honestly, I kinda did with the weapons what I did with the room styles, where I made a quick google search and was planning to polish later. All of your information is super useful, and I’ll be sure to use it in the demo! Thank you for your kind words and your end code, they both really help. Also the formatting is completely fine :grin:!

7 Likes

Being completely honest, I absolutely love those word plays with some names. You are a genius my friend.

4 Likes

Don’t know if you are considering adding other gods as parents, but if you are I think Nyx would be awesome as a choice to have.

1 Like

I think the author said that they’re stopping at six

2 Likes

@shadyShadow Thank you so much, I’m glad you’re enjoying them because I am definitely enjoying them too much.
@Nazroth @Kxng Yep, six is kind of a lot to code, so I will be stopping there. Thanks for the suggestion though!

3 Likes

Six is great

2 Likes

Hope we get to see Franco again yea he was a bit extra but I loved it

1 Like

Greek Gods? Hell yeah!! I was worried this would remind me of the ‘Children of the Gods’ demo but nope. I’m very amused by this even though its short and you bet I played every parent available and really want to play as an Ares kid who soft and shy but has a spine of steel that wins everyone over and makes them question the paternity. It would be even better if Ares was soft for the kid.

I’m a huge greek myth geek so yes this has me hyped. Plus so many children floating in my head. So many. :heart:

Also I’m interested to see how you throw Athena in as a parent. You could always have her adopt unclaimed demigod kids or…use her own birth as a guide?

5 Likes

You suspiciously sound like Zeus :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Athena and ares both seem great and normally I would go Athena for parent but already sold myself on being a hot gossiper child of aphrodite…

4 Likes

Nah I just like creating character designs. I could literally draw three right now lol

3 Likes

Really cool start, like the customization options for the MC, the skills and their personalities.

1 Like

Ohhh man I hate cliffhangers :sob::sneezing_face: finished the demo and it had me going, I like what u did there~ reminds me of the Percy Jackson series, but I would like to suggest ahaha plss add more awesome parent gods out there

3 Likes

Isn’t Athena a virgin?

I see you crossed this out, does that mean it was originally going to be the case but you changed your mind?

Edit: OK, so when I quoted the second… quote, it didn’t include the words being crossed out, but in the original post they are crossed out :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@Kxng He’ll be back, at least once before you leave. Glad you enjoyed him!
@Jordan_Kelley Thanks for the kind words! I’ve never played ‘Children of the Gods’, but I’m super glad its different, regardless. Soft and shy Ares kids are so perfect because eff stereotypes, and I think I altered the stats a bit to make it more possible. Also I would love to see your character designs, if you want to share!
@Jeeshadow1 Hot gossiper children of Aphrodite are underrated but so, so fun :innocent:.
@Jackpot1776 :joy:
@LGonza Thank you! I’m fleshing out the personalities a bit more, but I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far.
@SpanishBrEaD Thank you. I’m adding Athena and Ares, but any more might be too much to code. Hope you enjoy! and good luck with the chapter two cliffy
@VioletHikari Yeah, I’m doing something slightly different for the Athena kids that actually works better plot-wise than any of the other parents. As for the second question, it’s currently plotted out to be in the very beginning of the second book, but as I have designed this as both a stand-alone and a series, I might add it into this one. Maybe.

11 Likes

Is the dionysus eye color like change depending on your mood? I ask cause of the option said range of color so does it change on mood or just randomly

3 Likes

When I first meet Rayne, I don’t introduce myself to her, just asked if she needed help. Honestly, I figured it’d come again at a later time, but it didn’t. The weird thing is, as she was leaving she knew my character’s name…

3 Likes

I really liked the demo. As a fellow Mind-Blind fan myself, I fully understand your view on Kent. Glad you included some of the ‘lesser’ acknowledged gods as parents instead of the classic ones. Apart from the obvious differences in each, I did really like the subtle differences in dialogue for each MC with a different godly parent - like the photo id - it’s a nice subtle touch that really immerses you into the story.

I will be closely following this along, being a huge greek mythology nerd - but fair warning, I might go on a rant about the significance of something or another at one point in time - and am excited to see how you twist your story.

Here are a few typos I noticed when reading.

Typos - Might contain spoilers if you haven't read every route

Bolded words are added, strikethrough are removed and *bolded italics are some recommended changes (optional / author preference).

• As I swing from the tree, the blood rushing to my head, I figure that I could always try to find a way down.
  • Immediately, I’m thrown sideways as the branches begin to shake of off their own accord;
  • “Hey, big boy,” I begin, trying to make my voice as calm and friendly as I can. "Do you mind letting me down ? (should have a question mark instead)
  • For a split second, I thought that I hadn’t used my power right, maybe my voice (you have an extra space here, iirc) was too rough, or maybe the tree was just mean.
  • I do as I’m told, following the mass of demigods that head towards their respective dorms, all by their respective parent.
  • The doors are wood, but stained purple, as through though someone spilled wine on them in various places.
  • I finally reach my room, room 106, my eyes are instantly drawn to the my plaque, where the symbol of my godly parent, a hammer, is engraved next to my name:
  • I throw a quick glance around my room, - (missing n)
  • A record-player, Beatles posters, and straight-backed chairs make up most of my decoration, and I still have a lot more things I need to hang up within my closet. - (missing l)
  • I spend a few minutes running my hair under the water, shampooing, conditioning, then rinsing everything out.
  • I have a pale complextion, so they’re practically red at this point. - (remove the t in completion)
  • I add a trench coat to my usual look of trousers and tucked in a light brown shirt, for good measure.
  • my spear/sword/bow/dagger, which I will to turn into its ring form. - (remove the to)

Didn’t go through the whole thing but those were what popped up in my eyes.

2 Likes

Loved the first chapter! I like that you’re focusing on gods aside from the main three for the players. I especially enjoyed the Aphrodite background and the ability to pick non-traditionally heroic options. It was very entertaining to be concerned about getting my clothes dirty or decorating my room, rather than the traditional things.

I also noticed unique Aphrodite options for decor, eyes, etc — haven’t played through the other gods yet but if everyone has unique options like that, I’ll be very pleased.

Also saw that Athena will be a future option for a parent in the next update. I can’t wait for that! Athena is always my go-to Olympian so I’m even more excited to see what her unique options are.

Very promising idea, I hope you keep it up.

3 Likes