Y U G E N 幽玄 [Demo - 21/09/2017] - Updated

you are good story righter and good person that care for how they want there story to be not caring if it take them years to finish it so to me your a hero in my book

Honestly ever since I discovered Yugen I’ve been hooked. And then I discovered Reverie, and got hooked too because I love the illustrations you add into the games. I’m so excited for the new chapters :two_hearts::sparkles:

14 Likes

I can’t say how happy i am to see this thread is still active. This & Reverie are two of my favorite works in orogress I’ve come across. I hope everything goes well moving forward & good luck with the new chapter.

2 Likes

Not trying to rush you or anything but I thought Reverie was about to enter the beta stage back in 2016, as there was only a few minor things left to do. Did something happened to that game? Was it placed on hiatus? Or did it got released and I never noticed it? o.O

5 Likes

I have been contemplating on whether to turn CiAR into a visual novel instead TwT even till now, I still haven’t fully decided. It’s actually pretty finished, still need to go thru editing but book 1 is essentially done.

What do you guys think about the possiblity of CiAR turning into a VN?

21 Likes

If it were to turn to a vn where would you post it?

1 Like

What differences would there be turning it into a VN vs a CYOA? I’d still read it either way but I’m curious. Personally think making it a VN would be pretty neat so long as it didn’t put to much work on your shoulders.

1 Like

Okay but meeting Kioshi in a visual novel? My favorite tsunboy? Of course I’d love it! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Vn will be more tedious in a sense?(since there’s need for music and pictures) Whereas cyoa is mostly text and hardly alot of pictures and music/audio clips. But that’s just one person’s opinion on this…
Gotta say I don’t have a strong choice of which way I’ll like to play it, since I’m in it more for the story…

2 Likes

I would think of things like cost of a VN vs cost of a CYOA.

Then rememeber that a VN will probably only be for computer. If you posted it as a CYOA, Choice of Games could theoretically allow you to post it on Several diffrent platforms and devices. Including PC.

If you really want to, I would say for now do it as a CYOA but later release it as a VN as well.

But then i can see the benefits of a VN and would play it as well. It really depends on what you want to do.

8 Likes

Personally, I’d prefer if it remained as is. Here are my reasons.

• Visual Novels differ from CYOAs in that they tell a story with the aid of artwork and sometimes music as well. If you can’t do either of those yourself then you’d have to hire someone else to do it for you and that’s an extra expense on a genre that is already pretty niche. It could be worth it but it is also risky.

• People here have come to expect as little imagery as possible since part of what makes these games so enjoyable is the fact you can let your imagination run wild as you read through them. This is particularly nifty when dealing with ROs since not everyone sees them the same way.

• You may not be able to publish your game through CoG anymore since they as a company deal exclusively with CYOA-style games and not VNs. This means you’d have to look for other outlets to sell your game, such as ItchIo or Steam.

• It will push the release date even further on a game that was supposedly “almost done” a few years back. Forgive me for being blunt but it feels to me like CoR owns a lot of it’s popularity to the folks who frequent this forum and it would be a bit of a disservice to make such a drastic change now, especially to a genre they may not even be that interested in.

All of these things aside, you are, of course, the author and so the choice falls on you to do as you wish with your game. There is always the alternative of releasing as is and eventually making a VN of it. I may personally prefer it as a CYOA but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t play it as a VN. Either way, I’m looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

31 Likes

I would say that CiaR feels like one of the best WiPs I’ve read on here for being turned into a VN. :thinking: I don’t really know what it is that gives me that impression, although your cute art doesn’t hurt. As other people have mentioned, there would of course be potential problems to the conversion (not least of all just being the conversion itself from CS to something like renpy…) but if you want to go for it, I’d say you should. :slight_smile:

Presumably a gay romance with Touya would still be possible in a VN version…? :kissing:

Whichever way you decide, good luck with the game! :smile:

3 Likes

Another good thing about it being a VN would be getting to see designs for the characters.

If it gets turned into a vn I would like to see more appearance options for the mc than the ones in the current game, particularly skin tones.

3 Likes

Twine is always an option, meeting you somewhere half way. Images are easier to add, there is more customization but it’s still largely text based and there are no expectations to do facial animations, added MC customization or backgrounds.

I hope you’re not giving up on this story. It is great

11 Likes

After a couple of years, I finally have personal time to complete Yugen and CiaR!

Update will come this weekend! But before that, thank you for those who are still interested in the stories and send me loving messages, encouraging me to keep going with the stories! We will get there! Thank you again, for the huge support!

210 Likes

Welcome back! Yugen was my favorite WIP and looking forward to reading more of your work!

11 Likes

It’s wonderful to hear that you finally got the time to make your story And I hope you enjoy

3 Likes

How am I just now finding out about your two works… shame on me…

3 Likes