Alter the course of history as an inventor at the dawn of the electrical age! Can you outsmart Thomas Edison and help Nikola Tesla realize his dreams of worldwide wireless power, alien contact, death rays and sapient machines?
The man who invented the 20th century was a queer immigrant from Serbia. Nikola Tesla dreamed of distributing free energy to all of mankind but passed away in a New York hotel room alone and forgotten. What if it had gone differently?
In the year 1886, you join the eccentric Tesla as his laboratory apprentice. Notoriously bad at
monetizing his inventions, but nonetheless ingenious at building them, Tesla needs your help with making a living wage as much as with performing his experiments.
Fend off Edison’s spies, Wall Street bankers, electrical industry magnates and other unsavory types as you navigate real historical adventures involving electrocuted elephants, the Niagara Falls electric plant, pigeons, and that time Mark Twain had the mishap of soiling his trousers in Tesla’s lab.
Develop your own science skills, your social life, or opt to be more business-minded. Manage your mentor’s fragile mental state while balancing your laboratory’s checkbook. Love your work, your pigeon, or pursue a risqué romance with Edison’s daughter. Will you manage to maintain enough funding and influence to prevent the destruction of Wardenclyffe tower and perform the most esoteric of experiments? Bring free power to all, contact the aliens, or accidentally flatten a city. The history of the last great independent inventor, as well as the future of society, are in your hands.
- Play as male, female, or non-binary; gay, straight, bi, or asexual/aromantic.
- Achieve fame through spectacular inventions, people skills or cunning business.
- Influence historic events such as the invention of the electric chair, the Chicago World Fair, the social unrests of the turn of the 20th century, and more.
- Monetize your inventions or uphold Tesla’s ideals of working for the betterment of mankind.
- Uncover secret societies lurking in the background of early-capitalist New York.
- Meet a cast of historic characters such as Thomas Edison and his family, George Westinghouse, Mark Twain, J.P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer, Lewis Latimer, Charles Steinmetz, Lord Kelvin and many more.
The world awaits in darkness, ready for your electric light.
Tentative release date: Fall/Winter 2021
I’m a physicist working in space science, and also Nikola Tesla’s compatriot from the Balkans. I love writing stories based in Slavic heritage, hard science, or preferably a mix of both. You can find me on Twitter to see my other stories. Don’t hesitate to ask me anything, I can go on about Tesla and my research for ages!
What I need:
This is my first CoG game and I’ve been learning as I go, so all feedback is welcome. I’ve completed 8 chapters so far (out of 10 planned), clocking in around 150,000 words. Let me know what you think, share your suggestions and ideas you’d like to see implemented, and if there are things you particularly enjoyed, no matter how minor, I’d love to hear about them! (I’ve been alone with this for two years now, throughout the pandemic madness and juggling my real-life research, so I’ll welcome reader enthusiasm to fuel me through the rest of the CS maze and over the finish line!)
Read the Work-In-Progress now: NEW version December 26th, 2021, 9 chapters – see latest post