[WIP] Nikola Tesla: War of the Currents [NEW UPDATE]

I was wary of this project at first, because it banks pretty heavily on me being invested in this one character’s (Nikola’s) personal fate, but at least for me that hook worked perfectly: He makes me want to protect him and make sure nothing bad ever happens to him. Which is a feeling that is very much at odds with my other motivation of “beating the game” and being as successful as possible. We have a very good but very unhealthy friendship, and I love it.

That choice with Nikola’s mother was very evil and one of the hardest I ever had to make in a choicescript game.

The one criticism I have is that the romances don’t feel very developed. They strike me as mostly just tacked on: I get to flirt with a character when I first meet them, but it’s never acknowledged again until chapter 5, where I can get one date (if I’m lucky) and no matter how it ends, in the following chapters it’s never mentioned again. I guess the romances will matter again for the endings, but considering that the game covers multiple years I would like to see the relationship develop a bit more over time. Short, subtle mentions whenever a time skip occurs would be enough, if you don’t want to get too deep into this. But at this rate it just feels very forced and not at all natural.

And about Erleuchtung/Enlightenment: If you want to refer to the actual era with Immanuel Kant and his philosphy, the german term you need is Aufklärung.

17 Likes

This story/game is amazing! The late 19th century is wonderful for all the titanic figures who shaped our modern world, and Tesla and Twain are 2 of my favorites. Honestly if you had written a textbook of Tesla facts I probably would have liked that too.

As for critiques of the game itself, it was surprisingly polished for such a new post. I can tell you have already put a lot of time and effort into this. I did have a couple points though. It was odd that Bertha was the only reoccurring ally who didn’t have a relationship bar in the stat screen. In addition playing as a black man I would like to have seen a bit more reaction. I can understand you don’t want the appalling racism of the time to overshadow the story, but since you’re including the protests it would be a bit more impactful if we had a few more reminders of what we were fighting against. And I would assume the path for female characters deserves the same treatment but I haven’t played that way yet.

Ironically my first playthrough I skipped that protest to focus on work, but attended the strike with the suffragettes.

Edit to add in my forgotten 3rd point. The scene where the parent shows up needing money could also be tweaked. If we had more of a chance to define the relationship it would have felt more real and less ethical choice. Perhaps when discussing with Tesla whether or not he should return home to check his mother we could mention (or internal dialogue) our own parental relationships or lack thereof. A choice following the request for money giving us a choice to reestablish said relationships or not might be nice to.

8 Likes

Thank you very much. We look forward to further digging into this issue in a future update.

Quick bug report, though it might just be a WIP choice. During the party it’s impossible to get Lewis’ support regardless of choice. Even if your on friendly terms and you already have some, he tells you to go look for funding. I took a quick peak and the variable is created and checked for but never actually used.

Other than that this was pretty fun :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just as some quick feedback, I’d like to say this this story is exceptional. I was kind of skeptical about the premise, but as soon as I made it through a few chapters and read this

I realized that it is truly as if you read my mind to decode what I’m interested in. Considering that it’s not even finished yet, this is an amazing game that has me completely hooked.

I’ll leave some more detailed feedback when I’m less tired, but for now I’d just like to say to keep up the good work.

3 Likes

Love to hear this, haha. He was indeed both endlessly endearing and yet sadly maladjusted for the world. Back home, economy professors often use him as a teaching example of what a great scientist but a bad businessman looks like. He’s been robbed of so many opportunities in his life because he wasn’t money-hungry enough, or was too naive in the face of corporate sabotage. This is where a business-savvy assistant would come in handy, because as Richard Feynman used to say, a good scientist needs to be part inventor, part salesman, and part magician. (This is the origin of my skill tree for this game :slightly_smiling_face:) I recommend this interview, my favorite, which showcases Tesla’s quirks and gives the best impression of what it would be like to come across him at the bar on a late night at Delmonico’s.

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Romances Feedback

Noted. It’s somewhat challenging for me to balance satisfying romance with both the very long time span of the game (4-5 decades) and my desire for the events of each chapter to unfold with some degree of immediacy and urgency. So this leaves me with event-packed chapters with long time skips in between. It is then sometimes tricky to find natural points at which to bring up the RO, as it is in a busy inventor’s life :sweat_smile: I can definitely go back and weave more of the romance arc through the narrative once it’s all been set up. That said, there are some decisions you might have made that would mean you would end up seeing less of them, like saying that your relationship didn’t work out in Chapter 6 or if they are not a part of the Wardenclyffe team you selected in Chapter 7. Just for reference, who did you choose as your RO? Might be that there was something bugged if you saw no mention of them later.

This is perfect, thank you! :fire:

Thanks for pointing this out. Just forgot to activate the bar once Bertha is met. This is now fixed.

Thanks for the feedback on this. Below is my thought process.

Race and Identity Feedback

This is a complex issue I discussed with Jason in the outlining stage, where basically I had to decide if I would go the way of a fully egalitarian society (á la Gilded Rails) or if there would be a more realistic portrayal of racism and discrimination. I decided I did want race, class and gender to play a role in this society, but I did not want it to ever be a limiting factor in what the player can or cannot do. I didn’t really want the player to ever feel at a disadvantage, like the game is harder or more unjust when played from a certain identity background. So I’ve tried to only bring up the player’s identity when they can positively relate to someone else in the story. But I understand that this also, in a way, could make those identities feel “invisible”. Honestly, I’m not really sure how to handle this. There’s also the fact that Nikola was subject to quite some homophobia in his time, as he was always perceived as dandy and effeminate, and it disappointingly turns out that he himself was also not too keen on feminists. This is also something I’ve toned down on to make it all a little less dated. I’d like to hear more thoughts on this from anyone who cares to pitch in. Would encountering bigotry in the game kindle a fighting spirit in you, or would it make the era feel more stifling and repressive? Are there any examples where such casual bigotry was handled particularly well?

Good eye, this is now fixed as well! :heavy_check_mark:

Gosh, I appreciate this so much!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you want more Slav-fi, I’ve got a long read in Clarkesworld and a short read in Fireside. :purple_heart:

15 Likes

small bug, when you’re asked what your middle name is and you answer that you dont have one it gets treated like you picked the " im not telling you because my middle name is embarrassing" option

4 Likes

Gonna bookmark this as I frickin’ love anything that goes “Nope Edison. Tesla gonna take the crown lol”
And just you watch,Edison, as I slowly trap your daughter in my ‘love’

2 Likes

Intriguing. Gotta say I like it so far.
Instead of being the smart science guy with my mc this time I chose the charismatic janitor with his own gift for numbers, except on the business and bureaucratic side of things.
I always thought Tesla was in need of his own version of Steve Jobs to actually, competently run his company. :wink:

2 Likes

I tried romancing both Nikola and Marion (because apparently I hate myself) and then took a quick dive into the code to see how the other romances would play out and whether they followed a similar structure. And yes, with my in-game business strategy it’s kind of difficult to continually keep all ROs available for romance. Which I think is kind of a nice touch, though I found it a bit annoying that the world fair was the only opportunity to properly start a romance. I really loved Nikola’s scene, by the way.

5 Likes

Very interesting. Good job.

1 Like

I can’t speak on how the romances are woven into the text, since I haven’t actually managed to activate one yet, however I agree with @KP_Paul that the fact the only place to get one started is the World’s Fair is annoying, and I’d also go a step further and say that for me, personally, it’s a fairly substantial turnoff for me with a game of this time span. Having only one opportunity (and one fairly early in the game at that) to start a romance path just doesn’t make sense in a game that spans decades.

I am happy to see save slots now - it’ll help me since I had to restart a lot to get a high enough science stat to make a successful defibrillator, however, it does make me wonder if stat checks aren’t a little high in general. More concretely in the mechanics/coding department, I did discover a bit of a bigger thing: when choosing European as a background, whilst talking to Lewis Latimer, I got a scene that talked about my MC as a person of color.

More positively, I adore the prose. It’s beautiful, to the point where every line captures my attention, which is quite an achievement given I haven’t been able to fully focus on something in months.

I also like the characters quite a bit - Nikola’s my favorite, perhaps unsurprisingly, but I also like Marion (her reactions in the dinner with her Dad were so interesting and surprising to me), Lewis (I wasn’t even expecting to like the guy at all, since he’s Edison’s lawyer), Bertha (I was opposed to her at first but she totally charmed me), and even Mark Twain - in my playthrough at least he felt like kind of a friendly, eccentric uncle.

I really was invested while I was playing, to the point where I’d restart just to try to get good outcomes for everyone (well, except Edison).

6 Likes

Happy to see so many of you reading this and chatting about it. I’ve printed out your kind words to put up above my desk for motivation. Very much appreciated :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you. I think I’ve fixed it now?

I see, haha. Yeah, so the thing with romancing Nikola is that it’s unfortunately doomed to be unrequited, since he’s ace/aro. So after having your “date” with him in Chicago, the romance will not progress further. But you are 100% correct that your feelings shouldn’t just vanish afterward, in fact I should have written in more pining and more references to your relationship becoming something deeper than friendship in the later chapters. Honestly this just slipped between the cracks in juggling all the content, but I’ll add it in on later revisions. I do care a lot about making Nikola’s romance path satisfying even if it’s unrequited, since I’m pretty sure I would have gone for this path myself if I was playing it :innocent: Also, really glad you enjoyed his date. I desperately wanted an excuse to write about the little-known part of Nikola’s past, the tumultuous college years when he was a gambler, a barfly, an illegal squatter and – if his cousins are to be trusted – the favorite of women across all of Prague’s pubs.

OK, I see that the romances being locked in during the World’s Fair is frustrating. A question to all who played it: what kind of arrangement for selecting a romance option would you prefer? Could you bring up examples where this was done right? Would it be better if you could go on multiple dates at the World’s Fair, rather than having to choose just one, and then to select which one of those people you want to pursue a relationship with in the next chapter?

Glad you caught this. Fixed in today’s version. :heavy_check_mark:

That might be the case. The numbers right now are just my guesstimates, and I definitely intend to (re)balance the game depending on player feedback.

This is great to hear! And I’ve also got some secrets in store for Chapter 9, which might make you see Edison in a different light… :relieved:

8 Likes

I actually figured he would be ace, which is why I was very pleasently surprised to see I could get a date with him at all. I’m totally down for having a meaningful friendship on his route. He’s my favourite character, so I’m very much looking forward to see where you’re going with it. I went into this with almost no knowledge of Tesla as a person, so he’s constantly surprising me.

I also found his route one of the hardest to trigger on a first playthrough, because it’s so counter-intuitive compared to the others. For example, keeping my potential lover out of prison is a fairly obvious requirement for domestic bliss, so I can easily figure out how to get there even if it requires some sacrifices. Nikola’s route, on the other hand, seems to have no requirements other than picking one “mean” option, which was actually harder than most alternatives.

Personally I prefer games in which I get multiple opportunities to see more personal sides of the ROs before I have to choose one. That doesn’t even have to be during actual dates. I just want to see them let their hair down a bit, see how they normally act when there isn’t a crisis to resolve. Gilded Rails did something like that, though that one was naturally a bit limited due to its sheer number of ROs. Fallen Hero occasionally has similar vibes, though the MC can choose to view those scenes as doing reconnaissance on his enemies instead of spending a nice afternoon with his friends.

Making all dates at the World Fair available on a single playthrough would be one way to get there, but it would also mean sacrificing a lot of unique content for each route. And there should be a certain amount of unique content, not only for replay value but also to make the characters more dynamic. I really dislike it when authors make their ROs so interchangeable that they even get the exact same lines in later chapters. That said, I would suggest giving at least the option of switching from Nikola’s route to another, for those players who don’t want to dramatically pine after him for the next thirty years, which is what I’m going to do.

I enjoyed the more, let’s say, historical accurate route you took compared to other COGs, but it does feel kind of odd that the player is exempt from all of that. For example, the influence of men in their lives is a pretty big issue for Marion and Bertha, whereas a female MC seems to have it a lot easier, which feels a bit jarring. Yes, subjecting the player to something like that would definitely make the era more stifling, but I don’t think that would necessarily be a bad thing. The setting and the world you’ve created so far could work very well with that. At its core it would be just one more obstacle to overcome on the way to being successful, but a very significant one. Whether the player chooses to let it become more - participating in protests, etc - would be entirely up to them. You could definitely build on what you already have here, if you wanted to.

17 Likes

On Nikolas romance, pining for Nikola is defiantly something my mc will also be doing, even if Nikola cant feel for my mc the same way my mc still cares for him and wants to continue to ‘protect him’ and be his partner even if its not in the romantic sense. Nikola’s happiness is all that really matters to him. A mutually respectful platonic life partnership would be just as satisfying as a illicit saucy affair. Also after being with Nikola for over a decade already I have a feeling that with some of Nikola’s quirks my mc cant help but feel like a exasperated husband already at some points.

Also I have a question about living arrangements, since there’s parts where the mc seems to be arriving to the lab underneath the publishing house from somewhere else at some points in the story where are the MC and Nikola living? Are they living together in the lab? I think I read something about the MC having a mattress and maybe Nikola sleeps in his office? Also who cooks the most? I’m a sucker for the domestic parts where the two of them are eating at the table together (or at least the mc trying to eat). I would appreciate if you could put in more of stuff like the MC cooking a meal for Nikola and gently coaxing him to care for himself when hes in on of those hyperfocused moods because I am soft and weak for domestic fluff.

9 Likes

I’ve played it and so far I’m wowed! Definitely buying it when it comes out.

1 Like

Well let me tell you one thing. This wip is really amazing. I mean i didn’t expect much when i read the premise, but two chapters in and i’m instantly hooked, 4 hours later i was at my second playtrough cause i couldn’t get Marion to join us at Wardenclyffe. I’m gonna reread again so i would be able to give more detailled feedbacks (The first and second playtroughs, i was just enjoying the story). I’m deffinitly gonna buy it when it’s published. Keep up the good work!!

2 Likes

:grin: That’s exactly how i felt about him. The author did a really good job writing him. I mean i’m hardly the kind of person to play “buddy-buddy” with male NPCs (I tend to ignore or antagonize them in most book i read) but Nikola is just too… Innocent?..Naïve? I don’t really know how to describe him but i very much like him.

4 Likes

Seeing how much all of you care about the characters has all been extremely illuminating for me! I had a fear that readers might complain about all the time spent in conversation with characters and would be requesting more action or more challenges instead, which is why I toned down the romance aspect in favor of writing in a lot of inventor work. But I’m actually relieved to see you all requesting more downtime with the characters. It would be my pleasure to add more! Writing the dates at the World’s Fair was one of the most fun parts for me. I was just worried I might be the only one so in love with these characters :sweat_smile:

Now onto some specific feedback…

@KP_Paul – Thanks so much for your post, a lot of good ideas in there.

Detailed commentary and revision plans for Tesla RO path

Hmm, yes. I think I handled this a bit clumsily when I was writing this, and I realize now it comes across like that. So let me tell you what my thought process was. My intention for Nikola’s date at the Fair was that it would be a sort of bitter-sweet thing, because in order to get a date with him, you need to have behaved selfishly and kept him there with you. If he’s forbidden from leaving back to Smiljan, he will suffer damage to his sanity, and if he knows that it was you who sedated him or sold his blueprints, this will also cause an irreparable loss of trust between the two of you. So in a way, you can get a beautiful date with him if you behave selfishly, but at the end of it he will reveal that his mother did in fact die, and that he knows it was you who kept them apart. From that point on, the romance arc would be considered tragic/aborted/unsuccessful. The way to get a proper commitment to Tesla as your unrequited love should be to respect his wishes and let him go home when he needs to, and then when you are choosing a date during the Fair, you should still be able to say that you are only interested in Tesla and will wait for him to return. The player who does that should also be rewarded, because even though they did not get the cool billiards and Ferris wheel segment, perhaps they could exchange some heartfelt letters with Nikola during his travels in Belgrade and the exploration of his homeland. I was originally going to include something like this, and looking back now I’m not sure why I cut this content (probably some mix of getting fatigued writing that chapter for near on 6 months, and looking at it so closely that I didn’t see the big picture of what readers might wish for…)

Typing this I realize how complicated this all is, haha, so to uncomplicate it, I am going to do something like the following:

• Add a substitute scene for the Tesla date for players who were kind enough to let him go, and who still choose to pursue an unrequited romance with him rather than date someone else. (For example, receiving letters and photographs from his travels.)
  • Add more flavor text references to the MC being in love/companionship/pining for Tesla in the chapters following the Fair, so that it doesn’t feel like it just vanished unacknowledged.
  • Make it clearer that the “right” way to preserve Nikola’s affection is to let him go to Smiljan, and forcing him to stay is “wrong” if you have hopes of starting a relationship with him. The date might get your hopes up that you got away with it, but ultimately, they will be dashed when it turns out you’ve wronged him.

These will be some first steps at making the Tesla romance arc clearer. As to when I will implement this, well… you might have to sign up for the beta to see a lot of these larger scale changes to the existing chapters, because at the moment I’m focusing on moving forward and writing the two final chapters before I double back and restructure the earlier content. :upside_down_face: But this means there’s still plenty of time for readers to come forward with wishes and suggestions for what they want to see in the final version.

This is a really good point. Overall I’ve received a lot of good suggestions and encouragement for introducing more of a social (in)justice component for the MC, and this is definitely something I will try to develop on my second draft of the game. I welcome any and all opinions or ideas on this topic.

I do, too! In my mind, the characters I’ve created are so distinct that I get annoyed whenever I need to “collapse” their dialogue into some universal lines. In an ideal world, I would love to spend years lovingly poring over every detail and line with these characters. But in reality, sometimes I do need to cut corners. And when I do, it’s not because I don’t care about these characters or about my readers – usually it’s because I’m honestly pretty burnt out with working full time on my PhD, the pandemic, personal stuff and hitting the two-year mark since signing the contract for this story. I’m not gonna lie, it’s been really hard work and a lot of sacrifice, forfeiting my weeknights and weekends to this story, and there’s still so much content I would have liked to put in there if I had the time and energy. This is especially clear with the romance paths, which require me to write 4 distinct types of content. So if the final draft comes and some of you don’t get to see all of the content you wanted to see in it, I’m sorry! I just don’t think this will be one of those 600,000-word games. I don’t think I have it in me, health-wise.

But all of your enthusiasm is helping my morale immensely. :black_heart:

@Starkness, your entire post made me feel so fuzzy and inspired. :heartpulse: I would love to write this scene!! In fact, I think you’ve just helped me find the perfect opener for Chapter 9 :blush: Everyone, bring it on! I would love to hear what you’d like to see the characters say and do, so I can fulfil your guilty little fantasies, haha.

So, I don’t think historically Nikola ever had his own house. Presumably he had sleeping arrangements in his laboratories, and personal quarters at Wardenclyffe. Back then, it was apparently relatively normal for more creative/bohemian individuals to live in hotels for prolonged periods of time, and so Tesla spent decades of his life in hotel rooms from the Waldorf Astoria to the New Yorker. This is also where he passed away, in room 3327 of the New Yorker, where he left behind years of debt after his financiers Westinghouse and Morgan had stopped subsidizing his lodgings…

It’s actually possible to book a stay in the room he passed in. People sometimes visit in the modern day, almost as a pilgrimage. Personally, I don’t think I could fall asleep in there. Too emotional.

Famously, Nikola dined almost every night at Delmonico’s. So I don’t think he was much of a cook. :upside_down_face:

Haha, I like to call it :sparkles: :rainbow: wholesome masculinity :rainbow: :sparkles:

18 Likes

I really enjoy stuff set in this period, and the prospect of fighting the Currents War was certainly very appealing. Held off a bit in commenting to compose my thoughts:

Comments (Spoilers)

Firstly, I very much enjoy the setting. The Gilded Age in all its progress, while not shying from its very ugly shadows – whether it be discrimination, the robber barons or the inevitable run into WWI – the political mess which is almost more appealing to me than the experiments and innovation which are in the forefront of the story. The descriptions, especially in the earlier chapters, sold it quite well, whether it be the Orthodox church being dwarfed by new construction, or the mess of Tesla’s lab, which doesn’t seem to be so present in the later chapters.

I also liked how it turned out that basically everyone you meet was a real person, which certainly helps in illuminating the lesser-known personalities. However, at a certain point (I think at the New Year’s Ball) it seemed to verge on there almost being too many, and it was a bit stretching to put these individuals in. After savescumming it’s clear that Roosevelt, Pulitzer and Viereck are involved in the Letter Plot and I assume Debs with the Strike, but the first time around it seemed almost a bit like they were put in for the sake of it, rather than because they’ll contribute to the plot.

The frantic nature of “progress” I felt came across rather well through how the PC moves from one challenge to another with seemingly more hurdles along the way despite establishing themselves. Chapter 2 was a bit slow – I’m still not sure just why the PC is so loyal to Tesla – but Chapter 3 is where I think the game really picks up with the AC/DC war in earnest. To me the main drive wasn’t so much beating Edison, but in how PC can be forced to balance business and their principles.

The Prussian/Valknut? letters plotline also piqued my interest. Given everything I assume the Zimmerman Telegram is somehow going to come into play here, and while the weird German nationalist occult stuff seemed odd to include at first, as the demo developed I found that subplot the more appealing. Later in the demo the PC already seems pretty established; threats on their life through this weird secret society (which’ll probably be some predecessor) to the Ahnenerbe definitely lifted the stakes. It’s not something I expected, but it is somewhat of a more appealing endgame “antagonist” than J.P. Morgan.

One thing which left me feeling a bit off is that the PC, to me, sort of seems like a small fish in a big pond. As (I think) everyone you meet is a historical character, the PC still feels a bit inadequate to me? Granted they are younger, but the game sort-of feels like you’re boxed in to being Tesla’s assistant. Both in how there’s generally a lack of opportunities to want to do anything else, and how when it does come up, it’s framed negatively.

Sure, taking the GE directorship in Chapter 8 would be considered a betrayal, and to modern Western sensibilities working conditions back then were horrific. But I would have liked to have my character at least entertain the ambition to step out of Tesla’s shadow, and ideally not simply for money alone. It’s an era of big personalities, and while it may be better for the PC to stay with Tesla, it is also the era of bull-headed inventors. For the PC to have a reputation of their own perhaps, not just Tesla, potentially even having their own things on the side.

I know that Tesla’s the main focus really, and the fully-loyalist route is great in its own way, but it feels somewhat that the PC’s personality is quite restricted. I get that a starting loyalty to Tesla is required for the first chapters to make sense, but there doesn’t seem to be so much room for more ambitious, exasperated or duplicitous PCs. The PC seemed like they were driven to assist Tesla, rather than for their own sake or for anything else. That despite their efforts they were largely a nonentity. I think this is especially glaring when Tesla returns home during the prep for the World’s Fair.

I actually felt that Westinghouse, Latimer and Bertha were somewhat more interesting than Tesla himself. Tesla was a bit of an… institution. Somewhat predictable in how he’d act towards the PC, and the PC to them in return. Westinghouse, Latimer and Bertha clearly had their own goals and were willing to do achieve them to the point of double-crossing the PC. I wanted to be on good terms with them, yet I also had to cover my PC’s own back. Your actions towards them affected how they reacted to you in turn. Perhaps that’s the case with Tesla too with different choices, but in my run the other three stood out a bit more.

That being said, I appreciate how both Tesla and Edison both aren’t entirely one-sided. Tesla’s idiosyncracies and quirks are substantially shown, but Edison’s tendencies are also not ignored. Edison is the antagonist for the start, but the two aren’t that different. The PC may be biased towards Tesla, but both he and Tesla are both undeniably capable and flawed individuals. It’s not such a binary fight as it can be often portrayed as in pop culture.

Marion Edison I also wanted to see a bit more of, because there’s that conflict between the PC and Edison. It’s also nice to have a character who isn’t either fully involved in all the engineering or business to interact with. Sometimes it feels like the PC has no friends outside of work and is just a loner as Tesla; sure, when you talk to Marion her father inevitably comes up, but it felt like something different, especially if the PC and her were old friends. Twain isn’t really the same, since he’s been involved with the PC and Tesla’s op from the start and to me seemed more linked to Tesla than the PC.

Regarding the C8 Strike, if the PC is anti-union, it seems a little odd for them to use “scab” so frequently (e.g. in the scene descriptions), since they’d be positively-inclined towards the strikebreakers for whatever reason. I know it might be a large amount of work, but perhaps there could be slightly-differently phrased variants of the strike scene based on the PC’s union attitudes/whether they took the sabotage offer or not (perhaps even going back to the PC’s response to Debs and Twain in C7 on unions)? The same event through different eyes.

How the rest of Progressive era is portrayed – an era monopoly busting and reforms alongside increased foreign interventionism – is something I look forward to, and WWI hopefully after that. I wonder whether the “weapon to end all wars” will end up like Maxim’s so called “great peace-preserver”. And of course in Germany there’s a brilliant chemist (among other great scientists) who’ll have a leading hand in developing poison gas. Hope for more moral quandaries and when the quest for progress runs into human nature again.

A bit rambly even for my rambling nature, but I definitely enjoyed reading through it. Best of luck in the development!

1 Like