It’s gotten too quiet. Far too quiet. The wind doesn’t rush through the jagged rocks and twisted metal, the eagle doesn’t cry out high overhead. Not even the haunting static, nor the low mechanical hum. In this canyon, walls of glass and stone and shattered metal, no sound enters. No sound escapes. No screams of the dying, just the silence of those long dead.
Long dead. Like you.
Lost Birds is a post-apocalyptic story of survival and revenge, set in a distant and bleak future where everything that could go wrong, has.
You see, the end of the world wasn’t too bad. A flash of light, a searing heat, the taste of metal in your mouth. Waking up in a scorched plain to skies as black as the soil, to the first rain you had seen in years. Alone, you set off. One destination in mind. One purpose in mind.
You were not the only one to survive. The wilds have come alive again, stranger and more beautiful than ever. The people have come alive again, rebuilding on the frontiers, escaping the few cities left unscathed.
You find yourself an outsider amongst outsiders, a desperate seeker, searching for something lost to time and memory. A past hidden away from prying eyes, a future that relies on answers to a question you cannot ask. The promise of information brings you to a city sunken into the earth, secrets buried in the catacombs below. Your journey begins and ends there. Betrayed, dying with a question on your lips.
Dying wasn’t too bad. A fading of the light, a bitter coldness, the taste of blood in your mouth. Waking up, however, was as unpleasant as it was unexpected.
What to Expect:
- Semi-customizable MC: choose your gender and personality, make impactful choices.
- A blending of genres, from solarpunk to post-apocalyptic, with influences from westerns, cyberpunk and traditional science fiction.
- A beautiful, surreal, and often dangerous new world to explore.
- Immortality, as long as you’re not too picky about the definition.
- A non-linear story, jumping back and forth between past, present and future.
- Revenge. Maybe.
- The Ghost [nb]: A… being… from the place where nothing grows. A master tracker, as silent, swift and deadly as the prey they hunt.
- The Traitor [m]: A young man wearing a battered uniform and a plethora of wounds, as lost morally as he is physically. The folks out here don’t take kindly to those with flexible loyalties.
- The Deputy [f]: The judge, jury and executioner, both lawman and lawmaker. She may be harsh, but never make the mistake of calling her cruel to those she governs.
- The Gunslinger [m, f, nb]: A fellow mercenary with a rather peculiar moral code. A fast hand and a faster wit.
- The Archangel [f]: Your protector, a voice that woke you from death itself. A flickering hologram of a dead woman.
Read the demo here!