Why is there an option to delete comments if they still show up and can be read?

Every now and then, I see posts that say “author withdrawn” or something, and I can still read said post in the edit list if I so choose. I’m a bit confused why deleting is even an option if it doesn’t actually delete anything. This might be a silly question, but I couldn’t seem to find an answer anywhere.

Once the cooling-off period of 24 hours elapses, the post becomes hidden to all except staff and mods.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Cool little known fact: If you click on the edit icon of your own post, there is a button on the lower right side that allows you to hide all edits :wink:

8 Likes

I’ll show the picture as an example because I don’t know how to explain or if I’m just tripping, etc. This was deleted a while ago, no? Unless they deleted a post from 2 years ago today for some reason. This has happened other times too, I’m pretty sure.

Also, thank you! I did not know that for sure. Helpful knowledge!

These are what I can find on the matter.

2 Likes

Where is the post? I need to look at it to go further.

1 Like

It’s under this topic at around 26/40 scrolling:

I think this particular post had a moderation issue still attached to it – I went ahead and performed my mod magic, so it should not been seen now.

This might be a case-by-case thing – unless the deleter marks the “hide revision” box it is still viewable until the 24hr timer expires. (normally).

3 Likes

Does the hide revision box pop up during or after you revise something? I tried replicating that after you mentioned it and have been unsuccessful. It is quite likely I’m simply unobservant. All I see is the hide preview tab at the bottom right, though.

You have to make an edit/delete first.

I tried clicking on the edit symbol with a post I already edited a bit ago.

I’ll use another picture:

That edit is to the title, not the post itself… be sure to click on the edit icon of the post … you should still get the button “hide revision” at the bottom by clicking on that edit icon…

Edit:

This says everyone should have it – and also there is a site setting to have it off as a default. Perhaps if enough individuals want this, we can see if staff will look into it.

Maybe @dfabulich has it set on for a particular reason.

1 Like

That post had 5 edits, only one of which was the title. I thought when that wasn’t working maybe I would have had to check it while I was in the process of editing, but I wasn’t seeing it with that either.

Maybe it’s my computer or browser? I don’t know. It just says edit post at the bottom.

Like so:

Is it an option only moderators or staff have?