"Werewolf: The Apocalypse — The Book of Hungry Names"—Unleash Rage and wield spirit to heal the land and rebuild your fallen pack

Problem has literally just been resolved as we speak had an update come through on the app store and was finally able to log in thanks :blush:

2 Likes

And done

Email to get my saves works but to log in to this book or to rate, email seems to not exist. But my saves use it.

Odd

Using your email address to save your games is a separate thing in our system from having a choiceofgames.com account. choiceofgames.com accounts are used to own games on the website and transfer them between platforms, and you might not have one if you haven’t done those things before, even if you’ve been playing our games for a while.

2 Likes

That makes sense, thanks.

1 Like

New update looking good. The stormcat approval required clears up some stuff well!

1 Like

Hello good people, I have finished the Book of Hungry Names, and I wanted to give my thoughts for people who are considering buying the game.

Pros:

Character building - it’s really great. There’s loads of flexibility between attributes, skills, tribes, and sprits you can choose. It’s extremely deep, and there’s often 8-10 options of how to deal with a problem on a mission.

Missions - you basically go from a hub setting, then choose missions, some of which are exclusive to one another, and then repeat. There are a lot of missions, and they’re long and detailed. They’re varied, complex, and often exciting.

Ironman mode - the fact that you can fail, die, and have to restart added a lot of tension to the early missions. I was really sweating reading through act 1 and early act 2 and it affected how I was making choices

Cons:

Confusing - I’ve played a lot of RPGs and it was still quite confusing to determine what resources were used to improve your attributes, skills, or spirits. It also took a really long time to read through all the options. Every spirit you have to talk to before you know what they do and whether you have the right tribe or temperament to work with you. So you end up wasting a bunch of time talking to spirits who will never help you, period. What the villains are up to and what they want is also very weird and mystical, and I didn’t think the payoff was worth the amount of digging you had to do to figure it out.

Bugs - I got soft-locked for a bit (though Kyle did help me fix it on the forum). There are also lots of bugs throughout. Typos like: “You You decide to xyz”. Characters showed up in the hub world before I rescued them in their intro missions. I told one somewhat villainous character to go away or we’d kill him, and he still showed up in the next mission helping us out as if I’d chosen that option.

Both:

Difficulty - it’s extremely easy (to me at least, YMMV). Since I wanted a challenge, I played ironman mode, storytelling mode off with a character who was absolutely terrible at fighting. The only combat ability I had was the porcupine spirit (does damage when you take damage) and high stamina. I still was able to easily win every fight I chose to enter (with companions’ help) and didn’t ever get close to dying. It totally killed the tension once I realized that. Also, I managed to “heal the land”, didn’t have any companions die, and basically succeeded at everything major on my first try, which kills my desire to replay (I had minor failures on skill checks which would hurt me here and there, but they didn’t end up mattering)

Setting - Kyle clearly knows a lot about the setting and he wrote a TON of lore throughout basically every event and scenario. If you like the Werewolf Apocalypse setting, you’ll probably like this a lot.

I personally did not, I thought it was quite lame. The werewolves mostly seemed like mostly eco-terrorists, punk rockers, wannabe shamans, or neo-nazis, so I really grew tired of them. The werewolves make up 90% of the cast that matter, and they lacked the mysteriousness, cleverness, and flair of the vampires from Night Road. I have lots more complaints about the setting, but I won’t belabor the point.

Overall - 7/10 I recommend it with significant reservations. You’ll probably like it if you liked Night Road, even though I think Night Road is better. I didn’t like the setting, and I hope Kyle focuses on VtM and especially Pon Para instead of this setting going forward.

12 Likes

You thought the vampires in Night Road were CLEVER? And had FLAIR?! Are there two games called Night Road? Because the one I played did not have these people.

Ironically, I did NOT like Night Road. Not that I think the game is bad (Marquis brings his usual high-skilled prose to it), but it just failed to make me feel endangered at any point in the game*. I haven’t had the time to play BoHN much yet, but it already succeeded in doing that at several points, so I rank it much higher than Night Road, personally.

*to be absolutely fair, this has been a constant for all CoG VtM games so far, so it’s unlikely to be on Marquis’s shoulders. The one exception is Dattilo’s Out for Blood, which I’m told is actually a Hunter: the Reckoning game

3 Likes

There really is no accounting for taste, hah. I thought the Eagle Prince had more aura than 1/2 of the cast of BoHN put together. Plus I thought the plot was significantly more interesting, particularly the big reveal.

Also, I thought the werewolves had essentially zero flair, except for Melodie, so the vampires having more flair isn’t a huge feat. A real shame too. Kyle’s characters and set pieces in Pon Para have so much punch to them - I think he does particularly well with the less grim-dark settings

6 Likes

It is, but isnt HtR. Which is funny, Jim as usual did a great job writing it, though.

But, if you want a more accurate description. Its more like…The Origin Story of a Hunter?

1 Like

Still dosent work for me, agony (ignore those chiminages)

1 Like

My DLC displays like so, is this just a visual error or has something gone wrong?

Nightroad. I can’t recall most of it. The name mentioned i recognized. I played once before DLC. As I hate all the clans, I never cared to go again.

This book has me more engaged than usually am with wolves.

I have the same issue of talking with spirits instead of them just saying, “Nope, you are this, and I dont like it.” Didnt need to know what they give if not accepted to begin with. I lost count how many declined me. (I start with needing to scroll! Then at end of all that, no scrolling necessary).

I was wondering - is it possible to cleanse all three locations? Like, heal the woods and the barrows and the urban blight?

1 Like

I have a lore question that maybe someone can answer. I’m confused as to why the Get of Fenris is showing up as villains, I thought they, or at least the Nazi ones, were wiped out.

5th edition decided apparently no, the nazis are just the norm of them now. Something about their wolf patron going insane with rage

Hm. I never got the impression that the werewolves were about flair. They’ve always seemed more the “I’m here to do a job” types, and a lot of what they do involves staying hidden and unnoticeable as anything other than “ordinary” people, although possibly ordinary people with extreme views. Your whole existence as a werewolf really revolves around two things, serving/healing Gaia and staying undetected while serving/healing Gaia. Having flair would be a detriment to most clans.

10 Likes

Yeah, it isn’t for me either. Before, the greyed option never even popped up for the stag in mine. So that seems fixed. But, still cant actually get the choice to be pickable. It actually has me a little peeved, cause I remember including this problem in my email when doing the beta.

And the entire thread was full of people confused about it. We all came to the conclusion that since it was gonna be DLC we just couldnt do it in the beta. Now that its still an issue after release despite the previous talk about it has me a little. :melting_face:

If you manage to join one, please :pray: mention it. Its driving me crazy restarting runs and trying different combos to see if its personal problem, or bug. ((Though its seeming like a bug at this point))

3 Likes

Yeah seems the update missed this sadly. Strange. Ah well, another tribe playthrough I guess

the restore purchases button does nothing but a little load animation and then i remain in the same situation. Despite meeting the requirements still cant access the DLC and support tells me the DLC is fully available and it must be me not meeting the requirements. Ive signed in and out, have max rage and people understand. Guess ill have to wait

1 Like