Wanderlust (WIP)

There’s a nice blog post about what order to write and code: http://www.choiceofgames.com/2010/07/four-ways-to-write-a-vignette/

Basically, they advise the opposite.

The thing I’ve learned about myself when writing is that regardless of my outline, I’ll too often find the story going in a different direction. Its never intentional, its usually because I’ll think of something to add here or there and then my characters respond appropriately based on the traits they’ve developed. I suppose this could be a plus for a CoG game, because I can write multiple branches to the story.

As for coding, I’ll probably end up coding each scene as I finish writing it to avoid being overwhelmed at the very end of the entire adventure.

Thanks to all for your input.

1 Like

Huh. Seems my instincts are wrong again…I’m starting to feel like George Costanza.

1 Like

Different styles of writing work for different people. Do what works for you in regards to the writing.

Oh yeah, I didn’t mean one way was the end-all. Just found that post pretty resourceful! I do a combination of several different approaches and I don’t think I’m very consistent in my methodology.

I’m with you on the outlining thing. Sometimes having stuff develop organically gives its own freshness too!

I build scenes in 3 stages (a) very loose outline, (b) write and code, then © edit and test.

I have gotten used to writing and coding though, so it may not work for all.

Mainly, I agree with FairyGodfeather’s point.

I write on notepaper. I may mark in if I think there’s a place for a choice but otherwise the actual writing chunks are done on paper. However I also write very disorganised and not in a chronological manner. I do vignettes and I dot back and forth between them.

I also write up my structure. I have a very loose plan. If I need to visualise the plan I’ll do it in Twine, otherwise it’s just lists. Those I type up.

When I’m typing up my writing then I’ll start adding in code and choices. I don’t bother with stats, mostly since I’ve yet to successfully implement stats in anything. I see stats as one of the last things to go in, that way I can pick which ones I consider important.

If you find writing the story first the easiest for you, then do it that way. You do run the risk of having a story that seems like it’s on railroads doing it that way, but it does at least keep things organised and in order. Try the method out, see how you like it. If it doesn’t work out then try something else. You’ve nothing to lose but your time.

there has never been a SINGLE war? little to good to be true if you ask me. couldn’t there be like, “The Great War” where a race that lived on The Land decided they would all try to find their own land beyond the great shelf and came back all corrupted and evil trying to take all the resources. Everybody else tried to stop them but the race had learned many magics and technological secrets while afar. a few races were driven extinct and in the end it took an alliance that spanned the 5 remaining remaining races to put a stop to the corrupt race. That could be why its forbidden to leave the Land

My vote for title is The Outlander

That’s right, no wars in the recorded history of The Land…and yes, there’s a reason for that. :wink:

1 Like

the recorded history is very short?

Not that the inhabitants are aware of. :smiley:

[Edit] Just to elaborate, one of the things I loved about my very first D&D campaign (late 80s) was that it was all new to me…the exploration and discovery was what I enjoyed most. So for me, the biggest joy of writing this game will be creating and inhabiting my own custom world…for others to explore and discover.

1 Like

if there are no wars, then are weapons made? What about armor? Because unless the animals in the land can be very hairy enemies i doubt there’d be any use for them. Other than bows that is.

It could be that the wars simply aren’t in the recorded history because they were wiped from it in an Orwellian attempt to control the citizens of The Land. Just my thought, could be completely wrong.

I’m perfectly content to let people here speculate on things, but I will only confirm/deny what is considered “common knowledge” in The Land.

Weapons and armor are for hunting, both for food and sport…there is no domesticated livestock, only domesticated pets.

1 Like

This sounds like a very interesting game. @DaveDPF could you explain the magic n the world, such as:Energy used, spells, elements, and things like that?

Well, since it was originally meant to take place in the D&D universe, it would’ve used either 4E or D&DNext mechanics. Obviously I can’t do that with a CoG adventure. But since I’ve had the story and world mapped out in my head for a couple of years, you do raise a good point in asking how magic would work.

As I suggested earlier (without overtly saying it), magic is The Land’s version of science…its just how the world works. Gesticulation and a solid understanding of the elements allows people to harness and command nature for their own purposes. The higher your ability, the greater your spells. Whereas the lowest understanding of magic would allow you to shoot maybe 6 inches of flame to light a candle, the highest understanding would allow you to send a humongous ball of flame into the sky…very similar to a fireworks display in our world, because in The Land, what other purpose would such an act serve? Destruction? Unheard of!

1 Like

@DaveDPF Sounds like we have the same inspirations. I sha’ll be you’re number #1 epic fan, and if you need help with anything I have skills beyond skills, beyond those skills.

@XxLordNamelessxX And what would those skills be? :-/

@Micah88 You ever seen Taken? XD I am an Alchemist in the psychical realm, and I have the uncanny ability to conjure dire pitbull beasts and summon flames at my fingetips *cough* with my lighter *cough* but Yah, I have some coding experience too, if @DaveDPF may need my expertise, and im a treasure trove of ideas.

XxLordNamelessxX Ha! There you go! My own skills include bringing what i write to life for the readers! :smiley: