Hello! I am… so deeply nervous to post this… I’ve been chipping away at this for the past month and finally feel like it’s at a stage where I can actually start getting some eyes on it.
The Shift changed a lot of things. Much of the world people knew was lost, and what wasn’t lost was irreparably altered. But from the ashes, through little more than luck, coincidence, and dogged human ingenuity, Wall arose–a city of contradictions, of relative safety and constant risk, of unprecedented abundance and unavoidable need. This is your city. You learned the way it lives and breathes, and you made it your home.
But something in Wall is… sick. There are ghosts in your past holding long grudges, and your new employer is adamant that you face them. What you want seems to matter less and less.
Somehow, for some reason, the life you know is being dismantled piece by piece. And no one else seems to notice.
Form connections and build alliances (or ruin them), do some crimes, defend your independence, and █̵̢̥͂̆ͅ███̶͇̪̱͕͛͆̕͜͠█̵͓̮̦̣̂̌̆̀͂██̸̡̛̑̀̾͝██̶͔͕́̓̍͝?̵̱͛̇̏
Approx. word count: 17,800
Average playthrough: 7,300
Some of what you can expect as the story progresses:
- a slightly gentler cyberpunk (or maybe a slightly grittier solarpunk?); no evil megacorps, no totalitarian governments, just people trying to coexist with forces they depend on but don’t fully understand.
- a heavily character-driven story; there are larger forces at work, but your personal motivations will be crucial.
- at least two possible ROs; entirely optional, you can just as easily make these people your friends or enemies.
- a focus on narrative, rather than mechanics; the stats and inventory system exist (admittedly still very much a WIP) but they’ll contribute more to flavor/immersion than anything.
- a little bit of psychological horror. As a treat.
What I’m looking for:
- general feedback, of course! What do you like? What do you not like?
- bugs/odd passages or inconsistencies/wrong pronouns, etc
- typos/grammatical issues are low priority right now, since this is a first draft and subject to changes, but if you see like, something super obvious and feel like pointing it out, I won’t fight you.
You can also follow the dev blog over on tumblr, if you’re into that sort of thing.
Aaaand thanks for looking!