Virtual Euphoria [WIP] [SHORT DEMO AVAILABLE]

Cool to know the “outside” character matters too. I can’t wait to see the combat system, and to meet some of the characters. I’m guessing there will be consequences of playing as a girl and romancing someone only for them to meet you as a guy?

@Shawnheatherly Yep. Different characters will probably have different reactions, with others being more okay with it than others, but a high enough relationship stat will let the romantic relationship continue regardless of the character. I don’t want to make a scenario where certain gender combinations will make certain character romances doomed to fail.

3 Likes

Ah, but doomed to fail is soo much more interesting

I would actually like it if some were doomed to fail.
It makes it more interesting.(and real)
And also very relate able.

Will every npc be bisexual, or will it be more like a Bioware game?

I did it. I completed the first battle. It’s finally done. The core battle mechanics have been set up. What is probably the most tedious part of setting up the game is now behind me.

I’m crying tears of joy.

But seriously, I finally got it finished. There’s probably still some bugs here and there, but it seems to be functioning. So, try it out, report any mistakes you find, etc.

Also, in response to the romance and genders thing, I’ve decided how I’m going to handle it. Some characters will be bisexual, some will have a gender preference. If you romance one with a gender preference and turn out to be the wrong gender, the relationship ends in a gloriously messy fashion. Happy?

Now that the battle system has been set, up I can finally get back to actually writing the story. :relieved:

5 Likes

The MC is incapable of dying, even with negative hp.

I’d say, what if it was the lying that was an issue, instead of it being the gender? Because if you do
you’re going to have to be sensitive in regards to trans issues.

Online in general, but MMORPGs in particular are a fantastic way to explore gender expression, especially if you’re trans, in a relatively safe environment. If it’s providing the ultimate virtual reality experience, well that’s such an improvement over anything on offer RL currently.

Now sure, there’s also cis-men who pose online as lesbians, and cis-women who pose as gay men. I think the main problem there is when it’s lying to either lend authenticity to what they’re saying, or to engage in relationships with people who wouldn’t otherwise be interested.

Personally, I’d say keep things as you originally planned, because it’s otherwise going to get very messy. Even if you’re bisexual, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’d be okay about someone turning out to be a different gender than expected.

Also, keep in mind that some people will play avatars of a different gender but also be completely open about the fact they’re doing so. Or they’ll be doing it in order to avoid harassment.

1 Like

@Firetrout Dang, I totally forgot to set that up. I’ll fix that.

@FairyGodfeather
Okay, I see your point. I’ll think about it a little more.

2 Likes

Hello. Just thought you should know, after killing the enemies, I could still attack the dead ones over and over… Like your writing so far! Thank you for sharing it. :grinning:

Okay, I fixed the not dying and attacking enemies issues. (I hope.)

Snarky custom error messages?
What sorcery is this?

3 Likes

@faewkless

Oh my god. I only put those in places where I was 95% sure that you couldn’t reach that bug.

And you did it. You actually broke the f-ing game.

Welp, I guess I’m going to have to figure out what went wrong.

2 Likes

I was a druid guy that flipped out when he saw the spiders.
I proceeded to kill the spiders with arrow spam.
And I got this on my first time checking out the battle scene. (so that was a 5/100 chance and it worked)

Thanks for the details. I’m looking into what went wrong right now. I also found that if you use your basic attack as a druid then there’s a bug, but I already fixed that.

Well, don’t I feel like an idiot. After fixing a few glaring mistakes, it seems that most of the major bugs have actually been fixed.

Now I need to friggin’ sleep. :sleepy:

I got the same thing as a necromancer who used an undead minion on the first spider, and then the slash move on the last three.

@Zane_Hiam
Yep, that should be fixed now. (I updated the demo.)

Will any of our fellow players have a unique class, or is our character the only person who can have one?

@Shawnheatherly
Other players will have a class, and will use the moves that the player would use if they had that class.

1 Like