VERSUS: The Lost Ones -- Eliminate your enemies by stealing their powers!

We’re proud to announce that VERSUS: The Lost Ones, the latest in our popular “Choice of Games” line of multiple-choice interactive-fiction games, is now available for Steam, iOS, and Android. It’s 25% off until August 28th.

Steal alien powers and absorb their memories! Can you outlast your opponents to escape from planet Versus?

“VERSUS: The Lost Ones” is a thrilling 123,000-word interactive novel by Zachary Sergi, author of our best-selling “Heroes Rise” trilogy. Your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based–without graphics or sound effects–and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Become an interstellar warrior, gifted with the power to ransack the thoughts and abilities of others. Transported to an unfamiliar world beyond your wildest dreams, you must invade the minds of your fellow captives to survive.

Seduce Lady Venoma, a self-proclaimed goddess, or clash with Empress Vaccus, a tusked monster and the sworn enemy of your home world. Triumph in gladiatorial combat, or in the deadly politics of planet Versus. Absorb the right talents, and you just might save the galaxy!

• Fight for humans or androids in a morally ambiguous civil war
  • Play as male, female, transgender, intersex, or a non-categorizable gender identity
  • Subvert the corrupt Elite Courte, or join them to suppress rebellion
  • Romance aliens, crossbreeds, and intergalactic royalty, or go it alone–the choice is yours
  • Dive into a sci-fi hybrid of space operas, futuristic dystopias, fantasy epics, and political chess

We need your support to continue delivering our games on Steam. Our goal is to release our entire catalog of interactive novels on Steam. Based on the extraordinary performance of Choice of Robots and Champion of the Gods, both which made it onto Steam’s front page this year, Valve has allowed us to ship a handful of additional games. We’ll need to continue to deliver outstanding results to prove that interactive fiction can be successful on Steam.

We’re asking all of our fans to follow us on Steam. Even if you don’t use Steam that much, it will be a big help if you sign up to follow us there, because the more followers we get, the better visibility we get on Steam’s curator list. (Our goal is to hit 3,000 followers for our Steam curation page; we’re about 60% of the way there as I write this!)

When you follow us, you’ll see our games and our recommended games right on your Steam home page. It’s free, and it’s a big help to us, so follow us today!

We hope you enjoy playing VERSUS: The Lost Ones. We encourage you to tell your friends about it, and recommend the game on StumbleUpon, Facebook, Twitter, and other sites. Don’t forget: our initial download rate determines our ranking on the App Store. The more times you download in the first week, the better our games will rank.

14 Likes

The game looks fantastic! I’ll be buying it as soon as I can.

1 Like

It was pretty good. Now awaiting the sequel lol

1 Like

You pressed my tranhumanist button. This game is now up with Choice of Robots and Samurai of Hyuga as one of my favourite CoG games.

1 Like

Great game. Love it - even more so than the Heroes Rise series. Wish I had known this was the first part of a series when I bought it, though - I’m now eagerly awaiting the sequel. I hope that there’s more variety in gaining absorbed abilities (both full and flash absorbing) in the sequel.

1 Like

Ugh I would have really appreciated a warning that this was part 1. :confused:

2 Likes

Yes while playtesting it I noticed, that as interesting as the game is, it felt like a prelude to stuff that is even more interesting. A case of originitis. While origins are important, they aren’t one of the more interesting parts of a story.

Still I'm going to go buy it, and looking forward to the rest of the story in the sequel(s?).
1 Like

While it has its confusing moments, I really enjoyed the sci-fi lore in Versus and am very interested to know more.

Wow lotta achievements lol :slight_smile: Will have to get a chance to read it, sounds very interesting

Where do I submit screen shots of typos I found?

There’s an email at the bottom of the page why you’re playing the game; to there I think.

support@choiceofgames.com

This was really good! I got the title of revolutionary and hope to do it again to get the opposite. I think I liked it even more than his original series too.

1 Like

Really loving playing the demo so I will likely grab the full version at some point. You can tell you’re a Marvel fan when the game map reminds you a lot of the Battleworld map from the current Secret Wars event.

I preface this by saying that I’ve only played the demo. This is probably a silly complaint, but the inability to play as asexual when almost every other option for sexual orientation and gender identity is present feels kind of insulting. I wouldn’t even say anything if it was a minimal choice of male/female gay/straight, but the way things are it’s like asexuality was deliberately excluded. There is an option that apparently allows one to ignore romantic/sexual feelings, but that’s not the same thing.

anyone else having an issue buying the Worning bird upgrade when playing from the CoG Website?

I bought it just fine on IOS but I cant seem to unlock it here

I love this game! It was a great experience and has to definitely be up there with one of my favourite CoG games.

1 Like

Overall a good start to a new series, I had some small complaints but nothing major aside from one thing.

Why the hell does Dhanthik have different pronouns? One can make the case we don’t know…whatever it is’ gender, but even in that case the story still applies male/female pronouns to people we don’t know or otherwise can’t ask (Empress has female ones, despite having no actual biological sex, and I believe The Unpronounceable One is referred to in masculine terms). I mean, I’m cool with them being non-binary but giving them a differing set of pronouns from the start is just distracting, adapting the narrative after we find out their gender would flow better. As it stands the story is going off of a piece of information we can’t access, which is kind of silly.

9 Likes

Well in the beginning I assume that it comes from not knowing the gender, and that the gestalt telepathic society the MC doesn’t default to masculine when gender is unknown.

The fact that it’s kept up after meeting Dhanthik implies to me that Dhanthik’s transhuman form is either so androgynous or has traits of both genders that the MC believes neither male or female pronouns are appropriate or just can’t tell which one actually applies, and so again defaults to zir and what not.

And with the revelation of Dhanthik’s nature, neither male or female pronouns would seem accurate.

4 Likes

I loved the Hero series, but Versus may very well surpass it!
It’s much more original while keeping everything that made good the previous titles. Bought the upgrade and it’s definitely useful (especially for lazy ones, like me XD).
Made a 5star review on playstore, it really deserves it. Can’t wait for the next Versus, good luck.

2 Likes