Turncoat Chronicle (political fantasy) - updated 24-APR-23

NaNoWriMo has been unbelievably productive for me. Although I haven’t scratched the word count that true NaNoers achieve (50K words in a month), I am making amazing progress on chapter three, especially on the free time scenes in the choice menus. Most especially, I’m finally starting to make a dent in chapter four, which will be the final chapter (unless I separate the epilogue into its own file).

For a game that was planned at 30K words, TC has turned out more of a monster than I could have expected.

Current word count: 101,389 words with code, 82,085 words without.

8 Likes

November was amazingly productive, and I added a little over 20K words to the game, in addition to trimming some outdated code, and a lot of editing.

Obviously some days were more productive than others…

Of course, with the added word count there’s a lot of editing left to be done. I’m working on that now, and very close to being ready with the next beta version. Beta testers can expect to get a message from me, soon. I’m excited about the game and about diving into writing the fourth and final chapter, and I hope you’re excited, too.

13 Likes

I know I am! I think I have been following this WIP since early on and I love it! It is exciting that it is nearing completion.

2 Likes

A question regarding the beta test, will there be a save system? I only ask because in my opinion it would make it a little easier to do multiple runs quickly

Really interrest on the next update. I hope you are enjoying as much as we enjoy reading.

The beta test does indeed have a save system. Unfortunately I’m testing it right now and old saves are definitely buggy, because I have added and moved some variables from last version. So, if you have saves from the demo, they won’t work right with the beta.

Apologies for the delay, I’ve had some unexpected setbacks. I hope to contact beta testers again this week.

8 Likes

No worries I mean it’s the holiday season so I’m for one am not expecting anything to soon haha.

Haha, the only holiday I have is Hanukkah and it’s very lowkey in my family. In fact, I’m finally getting back into the speed of things, after recovering from NaNo. The new scenes need a lot of editing and testing. I’m also testing some new pronoun code, after diving through the forum for tips.

I still have some outlining and plotting work to do tonight, so that I can create a proper work plan based on what remains to be done before chapter 3 is finished. Chapter 3 (or 4 planned) is very close to being finished.

5 Likes

It appears to be a very promising game it’s whole plot of betrayal is griping and realistic with just a tinge of midieval.

When I’m too sick to write, I meme:

jocknerd-prepgoth-meme-TC

Jock <-> nerd, prep <-> goth alignment chart. Would love to hear where your personal MCs fall on the chart. Not pictured: the chaplainess Mother Cyrala, who is probably a prep-jock, all things considered.

Image description

Jock/goth quadrant: King Orust.
Jock/prep quadrant: Crow, Kidia and Lux (latter two vary a little by skills).
Nerd/prep quadrant: Belinon.
Nerd/goth quadrant: Consort Harim and Sheyer.

refined-feral-domesticated-TC

Alignment meme: feral/domesticated/refined over tender/apathetic/cruel.

Image description

Feral tender: Kidia heir.
Domesticated tender: Lux.
Refined tender: Consort Harim.
Feral apathetic: Crow.
Domesticated apathetic: Sheyer.
Domesticated cruel: Prince Belinon.
Refined cruel: King Orust.

6 Likes

So wondering can i just kill everybody in my path to secure my throne.

The only person you need to kill to ascend to the throne is the current king. I tried to make that as clear as possible in the demo.

4 Likes

Shame true shame i was really hoping you could be just really ruthless.

The game gives you a great many opportunities to be ruthless. However, if you’re looking for a Game of Thrones style bloodbath with entrails and arterial spray on every page, you’re barking up the wrong tree.

2 Likes

It just seems easier to just kill the heir than try and use them just saying.

2 Likes

I literally answer this in the first post of the thread, under the section header FAQ for frequently asked questions. If you kill the heir when you first meet them, there is no story. This is the premise of the story and it will not change. If that’s a deal-breaker for you, I can live with that. Please read the FAQ.

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed my little short stories. It was fun to look at things from a different perspective for a while, and it’s extremely gratifying to see that my WIP is still getting new readers like you.

On that note, I hope to be able to report some progress on the game quiet soon. I’ve been working hard at edits based on feedback from the beta thread, and polishing some of the additions I made during NaNoWriMo.

7 Likes

@Hazel I suggest you might want to provide a plausible in-game reason why the MC would not just kill the Kidia heir. People who play your final game might prefer that big illogical holes in the plot be filled somehow. For example, not killing the Kidia heir immediately to draw any other Kidia sympathizers out of hiding. If the MC decides to betray Kidia and after weeks of effort manages to kill only Kidia and Kidia’s follower (in other words only accomplishing after weeks what could have been done within minutes), then I would not blame the king for disinheriting the MC for sheer stupidity and incompetence.

8 Likes

Hey, i have been keeping an eye over this demo for quite a while and I like the story a lot. However,i agree with some others that, if u can maybe invent a in game reason why u cant kill the kidia heir it will be a much more interesting wip. I think this wip deserves more love than it has right now. I mean suppose invent a reason like there will be some sort of rebellion or something like that if u kill the kidia heir or something. It may make u write a bit more background about the story but i think its well worth the effort. But in the end its ur desicion. Whatever u do ur fans(me included) will suppport u.

1 Like

This is a good point, and something that can be addressed in chapter four. When I wrap up what I’m working on right now, I’ll definitely cycle back and address this. Once the chapter four edits are done to my satisfaction, I can retroactively add the explanation to chapter one. This edit, once I’ve completed it, will be reflected in the public demo, not just in the beta version.

9 Likes

Keep up the good fight @Hazel – we are here to offer support as needed.

6 Likes