Turncoat Chronicle (political fantasy) - updated 24-APR-23

Yeah, I definitely don’t see the MCs base personality as being good / bad etc. More that it’s the public appearance they’re putting on knowing how many spies might be watching. In the case of my initial role, I very much pursued a peaceful, friendly character who saw an opportunity that could lead to the merger of the two houses and ensure a lasting peace. However, knowing that their father, mother, and countless others all have their own spies and agendas, the non choice sections are very much the MC ‘playing the game’. Keeping up appearances so as not to tip their hand.

Playing through again but taking a more self serving role, those same preset character traits suddenly complimented the MCs ruthlessness.

In short, the basic personality seemed to come across very contextual on the path I chose to play, although I definitely get that the characters apparent arrogance and confidence might come across as being a jerk face.

2 Likes

Hello, all. It’s been a while since I posted an update. I had big plans for updating after I returned from WorldCon last month, but some life complications cropped up and, long story short, I have some medical matters that are taking priority this September. I’m continuing to work on Turncoat Chronicle, as well as starting in on my next ChoiceScript WIP, but right now it’s slow going. I’m having an important procedure tomorrow and hopefully after I recover it will make it easier to get back into a productive writing routine.

I can’t assess exactly when the next beta version will be ready (it’s getting there), but when it is, I’m going to do another round of recruiting testers. In the meantime, I have some fun posts queued up for my Patreon, which is also where the first news of my next game will be posted. I can tell you that it’s a fantasy game and it has a much larger scope than TC.

Meanwhile, I’m still interested in hearing people’s feedback about version 0.4.1 of the demo. I put in some pretty big changes, but they seem to have gone over quietly.

12 Likes

Hope everything goes well @Hazel, take care of yourself!

I am glad that you are “okay” (quotes as it is all relative…) You take care of yourself first, we can wait! :slight_smile:

I’ve been radio-silent for a while because I had no progress to report, but NaNoWriMo is coming up and I’m kicking my writing back up to high gear.

Today, for example, I’m doing some necessary research:

MachXVII

“…much safer to be feared than loved…”

6 Likes

Of course if your feared and not loved keep both eyes open when you sleep keep your head on a swivel everywhere you go, and don’t trust any food or drink even that wich you yourself made. Never get buzzed or drunk it could be poison and it dulls your much needed faculties. As a person feared you must think like everyone is out to get you and use you at all times becuase no one likes you and if given the chance they will take you down. Your flaw is your own paranoia and others fears.

As someone loved some people may use you but many would die to keep you safe if only for the betterment you can bring. Most will not plot against you key word most those that do you Likly wolnt see coming but those that want to see you succeed will be looking out for you and looking for those that would do you Ill. Your flaw is kindness and mercy

Why not both?

17 Likes

Kids, remember that Machiavelli lived in the 16th century. Everything there is to be said about his work has already been said.

5 Likes

I’m working on TC for NaNoWriMo. No spoilers, but there’s a scene late in chapter three that I think some readers will enjoy a lot.

8 Likes

Poll time! I’m working on free time scenes for chapter 3, and I’m curious regarding people’s feelings about NPCs.

First, how do you feel about Consort Harim, the Usurper King’s spouse and your MC’s primary parent and mentor?

• I love Consort Harim!
  • I like them okay.
  • I don’t like them.
  • I don’t like them, but my MC loves their parent.
  • I like them as a character, but my MC doesn’t.

0 voters

I’m gonna get back to patching plot holes, and give y’all time to vote or reply.

4 Likes

Beta version 0.7 will be ready for testing sometime in the beginning of December. I’m recruiting new testers. Vote in this poll if you’re going to be available to test chapters two and three in two weeks. I will DM you the details.

• I want to help test the private beta version and I’m willing to keep spoilers to myself.
  • I’m not available in December but might be interested in later builds.

0 voters

If you’re not available for testing at all, just don’t vote on the poll.

2 Likes

Can you suggest things to add to the game when you test or is it only for bugs typos???

You can make suggestions, but the scope of the game is set. If your suggestion goes far beyond the scope I planned, I won’t be able to consider it. The game is planned at four chapters, and won’t continue past the coronation. Otherwise, you can make your suggestions here on the thread, or via DM.

3 Likes

Poll time!

At the end of chapter one, you can choose whether to ally with the Kidia heir, or try to kill them. You can revisit this choice later on, at the end of chapter three. The actual plan to kill the Kidia heir is executed in chapter four. How successful it is depends on all sorts of choices you made throughout the game. Which of the following outcomes would you be interested in, if all does not go as planned?

• MC dies if they do battle with Kidia and lose.
  • MC fights Kidia and loses, without dying.
  • Another character dies in battle with Kidia.
  • Kidia loses, but MC’s reputation suffers.
  • Kidia escapes, alive (with or without allies).
  • King Orust is so enraged by the failure that he disinherits MC.
  • Other (please reply with your idea).

0 voters

Note that this is about the failure conditions for this specific scene. It’s possible (and not too difficult) to succeed in entraping and killing the Kidian heir. Failure conditions are more complicated than successes, which is why I’m asking for input.

6 Likes

I’d say dying in a duel is quite a merciful end for a political intrigue story, and that said, the kind of bad ending I’d be interested to see is definitely one where MC keeps their life and loses something instrumental - be it approval with king dad, reputation, or their sword arm (assuming said arm is who I think it is).

4 Likes

Well, I can’t say y’all don’t know what you want…

Looks like a whopping 62% are longing to be disinherited by their dad, and only 22% are willing to risk death in one-on-one combat.

6 Likes

I’d gladly do the 1v1 to the death but say the kidia heir escapes? Something to think about.

I have to wonder, would there be a sibling bloodbath in the family if the MC is indeed kicked out and Belinon gets the throne? He may not come off as cunning as the MC but he is Orust’s son…

3 Likes

@Tristin_McComas and @TeamCorvid:

Unfortunately, both the possibility of Belinon inheriting, and the fallout from the Kidia heir surviving, would be outside the scope of the game. I would probably allude to them in the epilogue, but I’m not writing the epilogue until after I’ve wrapped up everything else. That’s part of the reason why I’m reluctant to let Kidia escape, because it feels like a loose end. But then, if they don’t escape, there’s the potential of a premature game-over, and not everybody is willing to risk that.

7 Likes

Alluding to it in the epilogue would be probably be good enough. I do like when you find out the consequences of failing as opposed to just “game over”. While the Kidian heir would be a loose end, good ol’ Dad is gonna hunt them to the ends of the earth so they probably will not be able to cause any trouble until Belinon’s reign.

3 Likes