Tiny (2400 words) room exploration prototype (WIP)

Hello folks,

n00b here, so if I posted this in the wrong subforum, Mods please apologize and put this thread in its proper place (I could find no Rookies In Dire Need Of Advice subforum, that’s why I posted in this one… )

I’m getting my feet wet with ChoiceScript, so before attempting anything with over a four digit word count (the mere thought of which triggers something remarkably similar to panic), I’d rather try a few prototypes and ‘short stories’, so to speak, to better learn the code and tricks.

So that’s what this is: a tiny (2400 words) room exploration prototype:

http://dashingdon.com/play/Herko/tiny-room-exploration-prototype/mygame/

It has no story to it, just two rooms to explore and two simple puzzles to solve.

It’s a throwaway draft, and as such is complete (in the sense that I don’t plan to add more rooms or puzzles to it, and I won’t use these specific rooms for anything else), although if you spot bugs or think of ways to improve the mechanics, please let me know.

Any feedback you can throw my way will be most warmly appreciated. Silk gloves not required! =)

And last but not least, profuse thanks @dashingdon for the hosting service.

1 Like

The coding you have here looks pretty solid, and covers most of the basics. If you run into any problems or coding errors feel free to ask. Also, if you haven’t found out about them already give the quicktest and randomtest a shot (the HTML-versions you can find inside the main ChoiceScript folder). It’ll detect all (or at least most of the) potentially game-breaking errors if there are any. In a game this small you could easily just run through the whole thing manually a few times, but for larger games that could take a lot of time.

Also, you’ve got a few grammar and spelling errors. I found three in my first playthrough. It’s not a big deal though. That’s what alpha- and beta-testing on the forum is for.

I better get out of here in less than 30 minutes left…
Either in less than 30 minutes or since I’ve got less than 30 minutes left.

… inspect again the oven’s interior.
the oven’s interior again

Looks rather cheap, in this context, but I’m no marchand.
merchant

Running a game through a spelling check before posting it won’t get rid off all spelling mistakes, but it will usually catch most of them. I’d recommend it, especially for longer games. Stories with bad spelling and/or grammar can be a pain to read.

[quote=“Cecilia_Rosewood, post:3, topic:13715, full:true”]
The coding you have here looks pretty solid, and covers most of the basics.[/quote]

Good to know, thanks for the testing! =)

I haven’t given quick&randomtest a shot yet, but surely will (part of the idea of making it so small a prototype was to be able to test it all myself before posting, but as you point out auto-testing will be a must for anything larger)

Roger that. Not as an excuse, just as an anecdote: I was using Notepad++ and I failed at making it proofread the text; so, I copy-pasted the first (luckily short) batch of descriptions to googledocs, spell-checked there, copy-pasted it back to Notepad++…

… only later noticed that apparently googledoc had done something utterly unspeakable to brackets and such, and the script wouldn’t run. Which was a bit of $%&# moment, to put it mildly.

In short: yep, I still need to learn a few splelchekcing tricks, no doubt; it’s definitely a pain in the eyelids to read a story full of typos.

Either in less than 30 minutes or since I’ve got less than 30 minutes left.

the oven’s interior again

Looks rather cheap, in this context, but I’m no marchand.
merchant

Corrected. Thanks! =)

What I do is that I copy-paste my .txt files to word, use the spelling check to find the mistakes and figure out the correct spelling and then fix them in notepad. Though apparently there’s also a spelling check add-on for Notepad++ (or so I’ve heard. Personally I’m too lazy to switch from the regular Notepad to the more shiny version, let alone try fancy stuff like that.)

Hum! Sounds like the kind of simple solution that should work for me too (I just hate it when Word or Googledoc need to prove that they are smarter than me and just correct things by themselves. I mean, they ARE smarter than me; but it would still be polite of them to ask first…)

Thanks for the tip! =)

1 Like

The timer starts start with 31 minutes.

The timer should be a…starter
No? C’mon, it wasn’t that bad…right? Fine…it was terrible.

Naaahh… it only started to look terrible… =P

Removed the extra start at the start. Thanks for pointing it out! =)

1 Like