Thirty-Two: Galactic Gladiator [Updated 11/28]

That’s certainly something I have planned! I don’t want the player’s race to limit them at all, but a bonus option here or there should be a nice touch.

1 Like

Looking forward to reading more!

Super interesting! I was already drawn in and forgot it was still a WIP. Can’t wait for more of your great writing!

Just updated!
Patch notes:

Summary
  • added a prologue
  • added 5k words to chapter one
  • You can now encounter 5/7 of the ROs
  • You can now input your own name
10 Likes

I enjoy this WIP! Being able to burn the contract as opposed to just ripping it up when playing as a Solarii was a nice touch! No complaints, though I like to have more customization options, but on the other hand I don’t think many of the characters would care/comment about our MCs characteristics since they’re just a death prisoner. Looking forward to reading more!

2 Likes

@tr0pic I feel that that you should grey put the ones that have already have been selected. Just putting it out there.

1 Like

I think when I designed that bit, I wanted the player to be able to reread things (say, if they changed their mind about not wanting to take the newspaper), but greying them out might actually be smoother. Thank you for the suggestion!

4 Likes

@tr0pic I see your point about rereading your options. I ended up redoing part just to see what would happen lol :grin: .

I was wondering during this part of the story would it be better to have the MC be given an option to ignore or reply (or move to a different table) to Caspar? My MC is not I a place she wants to be in so at this point. Communication is not a high priority right now.

2 Likes

It does make sense to be silent, or even slightly defiant about being approached suddenly. Even the next page with Caspar asking if we “understand” is a solid moment to flip him the bird. It’ll be interesting to see if choosing not to kill actually causes the ratings for the show to climb higher than they’ve ever been, thus forcing Caspar to eat his threat warning like crow pie.

Lastly… They really did just leave a pointy object with their prisoner, didn’t they? That pen could be used to stab someone if the MC were so inclined to do so. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@Bulk_Biceps and @LadyUmbreon89 That’s a fairly good point. I think when I was writing the conversation with Caspar I was worried about making it drag on too long with too many “be polite/tell him to shove it” options, but as it is the player is definitely denied some agency.

I’m adding that to my to do list, look for that in the next update.

4 Likes

I told myself I wasn’t going to make any unnecessary comments on my own posts, but that turned out to be a lie, so:

In terms of how much dialogue and internal monologue the protagonist has, which one would people prefer:

• a relatively quiet protagonist, who’s just there as a vessel for the player
  • a protagonist with a visible personality that changes based on the choices they make
  • a protagonist with your typical YA personality (somewhat upbeat, a lot of quips and internal monologue)
  • Quiet protagonist
  • Varying protagonist
  • YA protagonist

0 voters

I’m really not sure how much “voice” the protagonist should have and would appreciate the input. Thanks!

2 Likes

Not that my vote should be taken to mean that I’m against the quiet protagonist, but there are times the varied one feels more nuanced. The varied type is a bit more work than the other two, but hopefully avoids ruffling some feathers with internal reader reactions like, “That is not what we said one page ago, you inconsistent twat…” but that falls under continuity issues, and is relatively easy to address. It’s important to make sure that the internal monologue of any MC is not at odds with choices made that contradict ‘default thoughts’ in the narrative. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I’d probably go for a protagonist with a bunch of internal more monologue based on personality choices, though that’s kind of me as a person, so yeah. Might be a tad skewed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.