The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (Discussion) FAQ Located on Post 2

We need some kind of conflict and in a big organization, it is impossible to think that there will be no conflict. I still think there are those who are dissatisfied with how the supernaturals are treated. XD

Perhaps… she might changed her mind in the future? But for now, she did verified that there will be no government conspiracy route.

3 Likes

Very sure that’s not gonna happen. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I think Book 1 pretty much solidified the detective and UB as a team. They won’t turn against the detective, and Rebecca wouldn’t allow it anyway.

7 Likes

Yeah, all the people taking this series so far away… as spunky said, sorry to burst your bubble, but that isn’t happening.

This series is lighthearted, positive and fun. It will have drama, of course, but is not going to be super complex stuff, political conspiracies, etc etc. This series is meant to a romance novel first, an action one second. Also, we will not be able to be bad people, so probably nothing about killing anyone, or going dark, or anything similar.

Just enjoy happiness goddamnit!!! rises fist like an old lady

Anyway, short way, what I am trying to say is, if you are looking for something darkish, or quite complex story wise, I don’t think this will be your game. But, if what you want is feelings, action, love, relationships and emotional pain, then this is your game! :joy:

13 Likes

I think it’s been mentioned before but when I first read about the punishment room for supernaturals, I imagined scenarios of the MC having to rescue their RO from there. And then if they actually opened up and talked about what they’d seen during that time and the nightmares had to do with the MC… I know I’m terrible but the possibilities >.<

Also, F is always very keen on staying on the Agency’s good side? Like when they talk about how they want more free time and N says to discuss it with the agency and F is immediately like ‘nevermind’. So they might be a little bit scarier than they seem.

3 Likes

But Darkish and complex story also have feelings, action, love ,relationship and emotional pain ? :thinking: Never say never … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sadly, not as focus on it as Wayhaven is. I wish there were more games here that were romance focus and not have it as a very very very secondary thing.

But… soon moves gaze over Heart’s Choice

I don’t think it is because they are scary, and more because all supernatural are under the supervision of the Agency. So I kinda see it as you don’t want to upset the boss if you want to rank up and have more liberties, you know?

I feel like I am explaining myself like shit, but what I am trying to say is, that F does all this not out of fear, but because he knows that it’s the only way of getting a life of his own without going rogue. As we normal humans plan our lives according to the laws of our country and don’t decide to just go and rob people to get money without working.

4 Likes

F is very ambitious as well. They may not want to seem like their job isn’t important to them. Depending on how recently they joined, it might not look great to ask for more time off this early.

2 Likes

As much as I despise angst, I could see this happening and, as long as the MC gets to rescue their RO from there, I could deal with it. That said, part of me would love to see the MC stuck in there and the RO doing the rescuing and getting acquainted with the MC’s worst fears (which would involve them, of course).

F flat out said that the only ones who get any freedom are the ones who area promoted. Clearly, if F can’t even go out and have a drink without supervision, there is no freedom at all. I mean, it sounds all nice and cozy that everything the agents need is provided for them and their every need is met, but that comes with strings, and if you want to get down to it, the Agency owns the agents, period. I can see why F would want more freedom… being under someone else’s complete control sucks.

While the Agency as a whole may have good intentions, the problem with any group having so much power and control is that it will ultimately be abused in some way or other. I almost felt bad for Murphy when he complained that the Agency just wanted to control everything–it seems to me it’s kind of true.

The whole ‘for the greater good’ thing doesn’t cut it with me. For example, yes, the acid spewing demon was a murderer, but what they’re doing is torturing these guys for eternity, and I just can’t get on board with that. Killing them would be a kindness. Either give them a way to make amends and end the torture or just kill them and be done with it. And there’s no reason F shouldn’t be allowed out for pleasure every now and then, no matter his rank. Just my two coppers…

7 Likes

While I agree with you, let’s not forget that the gas punishment is not the Agency’s decision, but the rest of supernaturals in our world.

Killing them would be a mercy, indeed, but it seems like the most severe crimes committed by supernaturals are judge and sentenced by other supernaturals and not the Agency.

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered about this bit…

Murphy can tell by tasting the MC that they haven’t been fed from by another vampire. Sooo, then if a person is bitten and fed from, what is it that marks them? Is it a smell thing, or like how a mosquito bites and sucks but can leave something behind (hence passing on diseases, etc.) or something else entirely? Is it permanent, or does it go away with time if the person isn’t being currently/recently fed from?

Also, if the MC was too tired to fight off Murphy in the end and gets bitten, does that mean hypothetically that any vampire who tasted the MC afterwards could tell she’d been fed from, and if so- would it be general or a specific sense of which vampire? Supposing the RO ever did get a bite, that would be awkward to get a bit of Murphy on the side… ) Maybe for that last bit in my HC we’ll go with it isn’t permanent…

7 Likes

Now, I could be very wrong, and Sera might hit us with this in a couple years and prove me wrong, but I don’t think that’ll happen. While I personally don’t the chamber–it sounds like a war crime, to be honest–the Agency, at the very least, seems to use it sparingly. A specifically says that Murphy is “not even a Tier 10 supernatural,” which since he’s a vampire and fairly strong one even without the Detective’s blood since he’s able to hold off all four members long enough to bite the Detective. If he’s not “tier 10”–whatever that means–I doubt any of Unit Bravo are, either. If the Agency only uses the Gas for supernaturals who cannot otherwise be contained as Rebecca claims, then it’s unlikely they’d use it on Unit Bravo, especially since if they locked them in a room and gave them no blood, they’d eventually fall into a coma. They definitely wouldn’t use it on a human. Not to mention there would be some heavy, life-changing trauma for the victim, and that is very, very heavy writing.

Sera has also confirmed that the Detective will work for the Agency for the remainder of the series, though they may disagree on some practices. (I can’t find the ask for this, but I remember reading it.)

I agree that the Agency does have a lot of questionable practices, and there is probably corruption. There’s always corruption somewhere. But we still don’t know a lot about them, and it’s possible they are allowed to go out for drinks. Part of F’s complaint is that the rest of the unit is all work, no play most of the time. One of the dialogue options is “time off is important so we don’t burn out.” F agrees with this–“That’s what I’ve been saying!” N’s response is “Well, that isn’t how you’ve been saying it.”

This is the only option that doesn’t lead to the “ask the Agency” “uh, how about ‘no’” exchange. F could be asking the Agency in a way that doesn’t make it clear what they’re asking for. Straightforward they may be, they don’t always get their intent across.

I really hope the Agency doesn’t become the Big Bad at the end, and I also hope we get a chance to change things that we believe are wrong, even just a little.

6 Likes

I don’t want them to be the Big Bad either. I also don’t want them painted as a bunch of angelic overlords, because that would be both cringe-worthy and boring. I’m just hoping what you said at the end, which is that we get to change things even a little and make it better. Maybe bring a fresh perspective into the Agency, like N suggests the MC is doing with UB.

5 Likes

My thought about it was that if another supernatural had fed from the detective, then they would capture or take them because of the effect of their blood. I don’t think they’d be marked with scent or anything.

But I do wonder about the marks. I would love to see if that comes into play at all (all my detectives get bitten for the drama), and if those scars mean anything to the supernatural world.

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered about that too, honestly…

Maybe other Supernaturals outside the Agency know about the MC’s blood and Murphy is just surprised no one else has tried to do what he does by mixing vampire blood with it? I mean, I’m not 100% sure that’s it but he refers to it as “untainted” and “doesn’t realize just what they had in their possession.”

Ninja’d by @spunkycatninja

You know, a few people brought up the MC being caged. Would it even work on them or is it strictly something that works on Supernaturals like DMB? I wonder if the practice was used in the Echo World as well…

6 Likes

The room itself is a gas chamber I think. Just by being in there they are affected, but Rebecca and the Detective passed through no problem. So no…? Maybe?

2 Likes

Well, iirc, each Supernatural was in a glass cell where there gas was so the MC and Rebecca didn’t breath any? And even if it did work on humans would it work on the MC who’s mutation makes them immune to Supernatural things? I could see it going either way…

6 Likes

Actually, they are in cells.

Ninja’d by @Mewsly

Here is the text for the scene:

Summary

I stumble to a halt, staring over the scene before me. On either side of me, stretching for as far as I can see before more corridors split away, are rows of glass-fronted cells. Inside each cell is a white-tiled room. A metal tube protrudes down from the ceiling, and a plume of sickly-yellow vapour pours from the bottom.

Huddled on the floors of these cages are a variety of creatures—some human-looking, others not even close. Each one of their bodies and faces is contorted into a frozen state of fear: eyes wide, fingers or claws grasped into fists, mouths held open in silent screams.

4 Likes

That makes a lot more sense. For some reason, I thought Rebecca was just…leading you through a room with crying supernaturals rolling on the ground.

Thank you both.

6 Likes

… That’s an amazing mental image tho.

Rebecca: Hello my possibly traumatized child who just learned their whole life was a lie and I left you in the care of blood-sucking monsters! Check this sh*t out!
Rebecca: opens door
Hundreds of Supernaturals on the floor crying in agony

MC:

grade

Rebecca: :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

Mom of the year right there. I do love you Rebecca but really.

4 Likes