The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia: Part One (WIP)

More as a change of pace than anything: what would win the King’s or at least the Crown Prince’s approval of our MC? Are either of them particularly fond of any skills or abilities?

1 Like

The King wants an obedient child who is smart but not smarter than him. He would appreciate a son skilled in combat or a daughter skilled in music, especially if they know how to keep their mouth shut. Obviously the King would be more partial to an MC who has distanced themself from their mother and her family.

Neraven, the Crown Prince, would like the MC who proves they’re nonthreatening and willing to follow the status-quo. He wouldn’t like an MC who has a smart mouth or is rude. He appreciates when an individual is particularly skilled in anything, even if he doesn’t quite understand its appeal or value.

18 Likes

Now i really want my MC to be snarky just to irritate Neraven :grinning:

5 Likes

Is there anything that could that would bring the MC into either of their confidences as a main adviser or commander? Is there a skill or familiarity with a country that the court or either of those individuals feel they particularly lack?

Is the crown deeply in debt for instance and could really use someone who knows how to manage the Kingdom’s finances, is loyal to the royal family, and know a thing or two about the country/sworn lord they owe the larger part of this vast sum to?

There is something that would certainly make them trust you and consult with you, which could lead to you advising both of them or just one of them. I would love to tell you what that is, but it would be a major spoiler.

And the crown is extremely wealthy, actually. House Haelith was a very wealthy house, and Seriah Haelith, as the head of House Haelith’s only child, brought a lot of money into her marriage with King Perion, which was sorely needed at the time. After that, the crown gained even more wealth with Eraven’s marriage to Alapharen since House Verathae is one of the wealthiest houses in Ophaesia. And, of course, Eraven’s marriage to Ysonia only added to the crown’s coffers.

13 Likes

If it’s possible I would very much like for my character to, despite his physical beauty, to also be recognized as a scholar/scientist and one of the smartest people in the realm, which I gather wouldn’t have our father’s approval if it means we’re smarter than he is, which is perhaps also one of the things he dislikes about our brilliant mother.

My MC is likely to be for some moderate reforms to the system (particularly in terms of gender-equality and gay rights), which I gather wouldn’t please both our father and our eldest brother and our eldest brother in particular would dislike my mc’s tendency to snark, although I’d never want my character to be overtly and obviously rude, it wouldn’t fit the whole prince charming image, he’d try to maintain.

Like I’ve said I’d first need to get to know my mother’s family before I can tell if there’s anything that would make my character distance himself from them, though in all honesty I hope there’s not.

Given that our mc is still impressed with the obvious wealth on display with the gifts from our mother’s side we have extreme wealth on both sides of the family, it would seem.

Knowledge of the laws of the realm (and perhaps the neighbouring ones as well) would also be an obvious one, knowing where the loopholes can be found might always come in handy.

For now I’m more curious what it would take to get us into our half-brother Terrisen’s good graces again, since he was our friend (and playmate) once, I’m hoping he might be again.

3 Likes

I don’t think my MC is going to get along with them. Are any of the other siblings more fun?

1 Like

Wait so we can actually get into their good graces somehow? Then things can still end up going very well especially if we’re allowed a dagger as a present. Though I’m beginning to think that the cost of entry would mean betraying our mother in some way which will never happen for me. It is the beginning of a very dark age for the royal family I fear.

2 Likes

This will be possible.

Another good idea! I swear, sometimes I’m too close to the story to see such obvious things like this. If anyone else has ideas for skills and the like, please let me know! :slight_smile:

Oh, yes! Your siblings all have their own personalities, and as such, there’s likely to be one that your character can have fun with, even if you don’t exactly get along.

It all depends on how you play the game.

8 Likes

It’s funny how you play the game can mean the actual game, the game of intrigue and the game wits that are made into this game.

5 Likes

Like Orlais from Dragon Age.

8 Likes

Precisely, everything we do has to be planned in advance and executed flawlessly. Our game not only holds our lives as the prize it also holds the lives of an entire kingdom at stake. We’ll be required to dance through the political webs,veiled threats and treachery that are all to common in this place. Only when we have reached the position that we desire can we deign to take off our mask and show the world who’s bested it.

We play the game of court and have the honour to play for the highest stakes. For if we do not play there will surely be others who do.

2 Likes

Now I’m curious what father thinks of a son that stares him down angrily and refuses to back down. Probably not the smartest thing but at the same time not the most obedient either.

I don’t know why but for some reason I just want to go on a killing spree and rid my character of his male siblings and both parents. Alas it is most probably not to be. You shall live for now father, mother.

2 Likes

Implying thus, that should the MC actually end up being smarter than him, it’ll only increase his disapproval towards him/her? ^_-

2 Likes

When can you challenge someone to a duel, and are duels normally fought to first blood, to the death or to something else?

This was my intention, haha.

@avidreader The Dragon Age series is one of my biggest inspirations (I mean in life – not just writing, haha), so I’m glad that such a comparison has been (somewhat) made. :blush:

@Razgriz Very eloquently put!

@Blazerules There seems to be a lot of interest in killing members of your family, which amuses me because there are a lot more players in the Ophaesian court than just your family.

@DarkSpeck Yes, being smarter than your father will increase his disapproval of you.

@bomsasa They’re fought to first blood. Ophaesians aren’t typically violent by nature, so they try to avoid unnecessary death and excessive bloodshed.

11 Likes

[quote=“Fawkes, post:360, topic:15629, full:true”]
There seems to be a lot of interest in killing members of your family, which amuses me because there are a lot more players in the Ophaesian court than just your family.[/quote]

I guess those who want to kill the MC’s family members will just have to get in line then XD

[quote=“Fawkes, post:360, topic:15629, full:true”]
Yes, being smarter than your father will increase his disapproval of you.[/quote]

Thought so - that’s going to be a small risk if developing the MC into an intellectual then… On that subject: is the MC’s mother smarter than his/her father then? Would explain at least some of his current dislike for her then…

2 Likes

Ysonia is definitely smarter than the King.

10 Likes

On the good idea train, and maybe one you’ve already thought of, having a great mind for military strategy or reform does not necessarily require talent or any experience in battle or as a commander. Martin van Creveld and Mahan come to mind. The MC could be a student of military history and the military in general without really having much in the way of soldiering chops. It can take some outside perspective sometimes to challenge and “fix” otherwise ossified military gospel.

1 Like