The Royal Legacy (New Poll on post #1466) (Hiatus)

Haha, freedom is a tricky thing isn’t it :smiley:

Freedom? Oh no, no one will be free! I just wanted to use the whole thing with slavery to my advantage, nothing more. Is fun to play cunning games but if they become too problematic i will drop them and use the hammer.

4 Likes

Mood swings i suppose.:smile:

1 Like

Gentleman , ladies ,others of undistinguished gender and sexuality types , it seems we have a Caligula on our hands
:pig:

1 Like

A kingdom needs smoke and mirrors. A fake leader, a doppel of the true leader, a secret group who only listens to the true one and a deceitful leader if only to get on the good side of people. Also criminals who are unlucky enough to survive will be crippled and/or chained slaves, maybe lesser death sentences will be shown to the suicidal battles, I’m have to give their lives worth.

I will be an oppressor.

It’s a medieval age. No, looming machines, steam engines and whatnot yet.

I’ll do a Roman and create something like the Colosseum.
Instead of executing my enemies outright, I’ll make them entertainment instead.
Gladiators!

Also if my enemies have any beautiful wives or daughters, I’ll take them for myself.
Bwahahhahaha…

To the victor goes the spoils!

@Arcania
Make it happen mate!

Ave Caesar!

1 Like

Speaking of Rome…

I wonder if I could have an inexpensive troop of peasants. Armed with a sword and nothing else, and use them as a distraction on the enemy.

begins formulating Total War: Rome strategies

Yes, militias. Like they’re great in numbers, but lack training and equipment compared to other unit types.
Also, they easily lose morale (though they’re also easy to inspire).

Make them sort of the most basic of units.

Don’t make them just armed with swords though. If you want to be accurate, make them have pitchforks, scythes, make-shift spears and other farming tools-turned weapons.

I like the Total War Attila game more than the Rome one.

I don’t see much value in arming the peasantry if you’re not willing to provide them with legitimate weapons and armour. If you use them as nothing more than cannon fodder then you’re wasting them. If you have to use peasants then using them as skirmishers would be the only practical use aside from making your army look larger than it actually is.

It doesn’t take much skill or training to pick up a short bow, aim in the general direction of your enemy and fire in a volley. If you try using them in melee then the amount of losses they would suffer would tarnish your legitimacy as a commander.

To be honest, in this type of situation I would adopt an approach similar to @poison_mara. At least when it comes to diplomacy. Gather strong allies and have them kill each other. Then at the last moment you’ll declare a war to stop the hostility. Thereby giving you a legitimate reason to burst forward and decimate the neighbouring countries in the name of “peace.” From there I’d probably steer clear of her approach as it is a bit too…self serving for my taste.

2 Likes

Yeah we don’t want to go too Bretonnian Warhammer here and just throw peasants into the meat grinder.

Irish Gallowglasses - the basic mercenary for any in the late medieval Britannic realm. They should be available to any lord or lady desiring suicide troops.

@maj12 Caligula was quite an interesting person it seems. Insane, sure, but interesting. Tossing a section of the crowd to the lions due to boredom, ah I see a model villain arising. I’m surprised I haven’t heard of him until now.

@Dark_Stalker A figurehead aye?

@Knightstrike Medieval age huh… perhaps I’ll adjust the impression given. Keep in mind that the Colosseum was a means of distracting the people from their problems.

@EmperorHeartless True you’ll be saving funds. Though I can’t say the same for your population and support.

@Knightstrike I’ll guess you’re after a serious population reduction attempt there, though the massacre that follows will definitely go into the history books. Though if that isn’t the case, I’ll be agreeing on
@Razgriz’s point. Not to mention he makes a proper point on the archer bit.

@maj12 @Zolataya Still can’t see the benefiting end result of suicide troops. :pensive:

In my country there will be no more P.E and it will be replaced with military training. Every obviously corrupt government needs a few massacres if only to keep everyone in fear, especially if they don’t know who or where the officials are.

1 Like

Let’s not forget that each soldier that falls in battle affects the entire country. That’s one less person to farm, fight,write, craft. People are the most valuable resource in a kingdom. If you lose their faith then you lose your kingdom. Why the desire for suicide troops? Is it so that you can fully destroy any shred of dignity your country has left? To show that you’ll fight to the last man? I just can’t see a use for killing your population and opening yourself to rebellion.

1 Like

[quote=“Arcania, post:1090, topic:9990, full:true”] … @maj12 @Zolataya Still can’t see the benefiting end result of suicide troops. :pensive:
[/quote]

They weren’t suiciders in reality, just with the “fearless” reputation combined with a “crazy” demeanor. They were axe-wielding shock troopers used even into the gun-powder age because the intimidation factor of their reputation provided prestige and other intangibles …

Think of the Prussian Panzars prior to WW1. for a more modern equivalent.

So you want berserkers not fodder. Berserkers are far more useful.

Ah Prussia ,the military with a state as some put it ,but yes fanatics and berserkers are far more useful than just throwing your many subjects onto the tips of spears.

1 Like

Yes and no. The Scottish/Pict Berserkers were a different thing. Berserkers were individuals; Gallowglasses were professional units - and they were the British Isles versions of the Italian condatorre mercenaries.

No, fodder is the last thing I think that is needed here. Professional elite troops that can form a nucleus for anything from policing to armed fighting.

Spanish commoners discovered another way of fight against an enemy far, far more powerful than you. However, You need a stupidity legendary for your nobles and a bravery beyond possible for normal peasants and chaos havoc. Napoleon died cursing about us. Only Vietnam and Afghanistan were similar to us. You need an entire population that only wants killing those bastards whatever means necessary including sacrificed themselves and destroying your own possessions and family . Those people are unstopable, you can’t kill an entire population and territory of the country you are conquering … What is the point of conquest something utterly destroyed? Also @Razgriz you are agreeing with me to much lately… Are you ok ? Lol :wink: Commoners are a jewel so precious resources killing them is strictly stupid. They have to be happy and satisfied with their stupidity. Panem et Circenses