The Parenting Simulator Achievement Guide

Hi! First off, thanks for playing!

That’s actually not a bug unique to my game about the reroll thing, but something which occurs in any CS game with a *rand command where there’s not a page break or choice in before the results are visible. I tried to insert those in before all random stuff but clearly missed a couple. That being said, is it a bug…or a feature?

Well, probably a bug. But an innocuous one at least.

Moonshot is where a kid with high Edu who is being obnoxious can be put into a reading class several years above their level to humble them. You get the cheevo if their Edu is crazy high, allowing them to actually succeed in the high level reading class and thus thwart both you and the teacher.

Being bullied happens if either popularity or selfishness is lower than its opposed stat, I don’t remember which one offhand. So it’s not random, you get one or the other based on your stats. I can edit it specifics when I have my laptop in front of me.

If anyone cares that much about both getting the randomized gender cheevo and their desired child gender, more power to them.

3 Likes

FIRST of all THANK YOU, not merely for replying, but for replying so quickly!!!

My curiosity got the better of me, so I took pains to follow the directions to achieve “Moonshot.” (It turns out that nearly all my gameplays already met almost all of the prerequisites; I was only lacking one or two, and so was awsomely close to achieving it naturally!) In any case, my curiosity was sated – now I know what “Moonshot” does! (You must admit that “having a plan backfire in the best way possible” is very mysterious wording!) Wow. I’ll have to try for that in every playthrough from now on! :blush:

There is no “selfishness” stat.; the stat. opposed to “Popularity” is “Individuality.” So, what I understand you to mean is that being bullied occurs if “Individuality” is greater than “Popularity” – that is, if “Popularity” is low (which, alas, does kinda make sense).

All of my gameplays have resulted in a kid with high Popularity, so that explains the lack of bullying. If I want to see what the “being bullied” outcome looks like, it seems I must boost the kid’s “Individuality.”

I’m not sure what would go into either “Individuality” or “Popularity,” though; nor how “Individuality” differs from either “Independence” or “Freedom” (since all three terms are – somewhat loosely – synonyms of one another). I’d greatly appreciate it if you could clarify, or give guidance on boosting “Individuality.”

About the “reroll feature” (There! Now you have my opinion on it!) – that’s most enlightening: given this insight, I must try this same thing at various points in other COG or HG games, and see what happens! :smiling_imp:

Again, THANK YOU for your kind and prompt reply! “The Parenting Simulator” is a game I (re)play all the time. (Uhm… but couldn’t you have come up with an even slightly more creative name for it…?)

1 Like

Individuality: how introverted/less-social your child is. Do they have a wide social circle, or is it just a few important people?

Freedom: how freely do you allow your child to choose what they want to do (can range from what toys they will play with to what they want to do after high school). Think free-range parenting (as opposed to helicopter parenting).

Independence: how self-reliant are they? Can they manage their own schedules? Drive themselves places? Navigate a social dispute by themselves? The philosophy of a high Independence stat that children must learn age-appropriate self-sufficiency as they age, because they become adults very quickly.

Do note that it’s absolutely possible to have high Freedom and low Independence, or vice versa.

2 Likes

You wrote:

“…Individuality: how introverted/less-social your child is. Do they have a wide social circle, or is it just a few important people?..”

Not sure how I’d alter that; the game only provides for ONE friend for the kid – the one he meets in toddlerhood. The game occasionally mentions generic “friends” but never introduces them, nor – as far as I can recall – gives the kid any direct opportunity for making them.

I’ll play again, though, and pay closer attention to this aspect of things…

-----[ Update ]-----

O.K., I’ve played through again, bit it seems that, no matter what I do, I cannot get the “Individuality” trait any lower than 54%. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Ooops, meant to say I couldn’t get “Individuality” any higher than 46%.

Does anyone know of any way(s) to increase it?

1 Like

Hahaha, the simple name was on purpose. My first game was named Nuclear Powered Toaster. Creative title? I like to think so. Confusing? Undeniable.

Admittedly, it was called Quite App-Parent as a WIP, but I went with a more direct name to optimize search engine hits. And given how well the story has done, no regrets. I am glad you’ve enjoyed it so much.

Sorry for misnaming the stats; without my computer handy I often don’t remember code specifics for TPS because I have been buried in another story since then.

For getting individuality higher, just choose antisocial options. In the playgroup, try to run away. When the friend comes to your kid’s school, make sure you push your kid to hang with them even if it pushes away their new friends. Don’t have them do anything big for the play. Glasses are a big help, make sure they get them to make them instantly unpopular. Getting Moonshot would help too, of course. Nobody likes superachievers in school.

2 Likes

And I assume that making all sorts of rules for the sleepover would help, too?

1 Like

Also not forcing them to learn to swim, having them do chess club, letting them skip summer camp, Color of Grains for the birthday party or staying at home, not doing preschool, doing homeschool, take the whole morning off from work for their first day of school…

Sorry for the long list, finally had my computer in front of me and wanted to get these examples out there while I had access to the code.

You had the opportunity to do a pun and you decided not to do the pun? I don’t think I like you anymore. :pleading_face:

1 Like

What are the career options for the MC’s child? SOmebody give me the list and its requirements.

1 Like

It’s rare indeed that I pass up a prospect for punslinging. However, money is very expensive these days, and if the punnish title won’t get as many readers as the more straightforward one, it must be jettisoned. I would have preferred both: Quite App-Parent: A Parenting Simulator or something to that end. But character limits for app titles made that impossible.

@Patrick_Cody02 That’s a big ask, so would probably have to wait until I was back with my computer again. Offhand I know there’s call center, cop, working where the parent works in an office setting, game developer, actor (small time, big time or Broadway-type only), several varieties of athlete, ditto for musician, being an instructor/teacher for their activity of choice if they failed to be a true pro at it, scientist, lawyer, politician (oh, the shame of it all!)…probably some others but I’m not thinking of any more offhand.

2 Likes

Politician is an option? God, I need to see this

1 Like

I remembered about my remote code backup, as I occasionally do.

*if ((self > 47) and (pop > 57))
    *set self +3
    *set indy +2
    *set free -1
    $!{aname} parlays ${ahis} political science degree into an internship at your state's capitol, and before long $!{aname} has moved into the world of local politics.  $!{ahe} cruises to an easy win for a vacant city council seat, and if the poll numbers hold up ${ahe} could become a frontrunner in the next election for mayor.  And who knows how far it could go beyond that? Having a successful politician in the family makes you simultaneously proud and deeply, deeply embarrassed.
    *goto relate

However, the politician route would only kick in if you didn’t get some of the ones above it that are more tied to specific activities and such, and it’s only for the college kids, as you can tell from the text.

I’m a little unsure about putting all of them on here, however. Concerned that giving away too much might make people less inclined to play to the end, which is necessary to get those sweet, sweet omnibus scores.

2 Likes

I don’t get it. What’s the “pun” in “Quite-App Parent” (i don’t even know what that means)?

1 Like

…Which I (for one) have already done many times. I vote you post away!!!

No, no! Thank you for the long list! Hopefully, I’ll get bullied yet! :grin: (But only once – to satisfy my curiosity – because quite frankly, I’ve had far too much of that in real life as it is.)

How do you get the kid in chess club!? I’ve never seen THAT option, for all the times I’ve p!ayed!

And, apropos of absolutely nothing whatsoever, may I comment that, when I hear the kid ask “Do ya like it, Da-Da? It’s a turtle,” no matter what I might say out loud, what I would silently think is, “Well thanks for saying so, Junior, 'cos I’d never have guessed otherwise!” :open_mouth:

I very much love the “turtle” sequence – it’s adorable.

BTW, why is it “Da-Da” and not “Daddy”? (Maybe your experience differs, but “Da-Da” sounds very strange & unfamiliar to me.)

AND, how in the world does the Kid ever get to be a COP!?! That doesn’t seem to be even remotely hinted at, at all!!! :hushed:

1 Like
  1. How do you get your kid onto chess club?

2. How does the kid end up as a cop?

1 Like

Choose for them to do “games” as their extracurricular on year 9 (either it’s new to the kid or you are reaffirming your choice from year 4). You will have a choice for them to pursue esports or chess. If you want them to do chess, you know which one to choose.

Cop is one of the possible jobs that they do if they flunk out of the Ivy League institution, make interesting choices in their state school education, or go straight into the workforce from HS. Not sure what the exact stats are for them to be a cop instead of, say, a call center worker.

@hustlertwo on a recent playthrough, I discovered that the veterinarian job grants the achievement “Work is Work” even though the child completes their Ivy education to get it (and I understood Work is Work to be for the jobs that the child gets that don’t need a (specialized) college degree).

1 Like

Hmmm… The trouble, is that a lot (not all, but quite a few) of those “anti-social” choices don’t necessarily seem particularly anti-social; e.g., what’s so “antisocial” about not learning to swim?! And while chess club might not be popular, surely there are the other chess players, with whom one could socialize? And, what does skipping summer camp have to do with social interactions in school? Et cetera* & so forth. The simple fact is, that until you called my attention to them, I wasn’t thinking of these choices as “antisocial” at all!

In other words, it seems to me that the rationale behind a number of the (so-called) “antisocial” options seem rather thin, and in some cases even tenuous.

*(Technically, I could have written “&c & so forth,” since “&c” is one abbreviation for “et cetera,” [the other being “etc.”] And oh yes, BTW – strictly speaking, “et cetera” is two words. It’s Latin; literally, it means “and the rest.” But who in the “H” – besides me, of course! – knows all of that, LOL?! Talk about esoteric knowledge!) :open_mouth:

(How could you possibly tell I was bullied in school…)

BTW, I did (finally) get the “bullied” scenario. Worthy of a half-interested shrug. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Well, keep in mind it doesn’t just mean antisocial. It can mean unpopular things that lower popularity. When you are a kid, not knowing how to swim, or ride a bike, or not riding rollercoasters at a place like Plentiful Pennants, that can give you the dreaded mark of being Babyish. And that can be death for a young social life.

2 Likes

sigh I was actually kind of happy that these “non traditional/non mainstream” options were available…but apparently they are only there to make your kid “antisocial” and to reinforce stereotypes.

The parent in this game works full time and the player has no control over it. It is mentioned early on that the child is in daycare. So presumably, if you don’t do preschool, they just stay in daycare. Which is not antisocial. I see how it is a more “individual” choice to just stay in daycare until age 5, but it isn’t antisocial or something a three year old would get judged for. It’s not like you could choose for them to stay with a nanny or to stay home full time with them.

The “homeschool” option is basically a non-traditional flex school and really also far from antisocial. If you wanted to make it antisocial, an effort should have been made to actually make it different rather than near identical to public school. More kids even join in middle school. Yet somehow being in this school lowers popularity? With WHOM? People from “normal” schools? I’d imagine that some private school kids shun the public school crowd, but that doesn’t mean that being in public school lowers popularity. Also, being in that school gets you bullied IN THAT SCHOOL? Make it make sense.

Can’t say that I love the stereotypes about glasses and chess either. I know several kids that want glasses nowadays. More kids wear them than ever, same as with braces. Since the game includes not just countless references to social media, tablets and smartphones but even the pandemic in Year 4, it has a set timeline. The child is born in 2016.