The Mage's Adventures

This is a thread to discuss my game, The Mage’s Adventures.

Your party of intrepid adventurers is no stranger to taking on missions that the village guard simply isn’t equipped to. So it’s no surprise that when a demon attacks a nearby farmer, you and your group of arcanists, fencers, healers, and archers are tasked with killing her.

But when a rival adventuring party gets in the way, and the demon proves more powerful than any of you had thought, things get even more complicated. What’s more, you soon discover that this demon wants to take you as her human vessel. Will you defeat her before she takes control of your soul?

The Mage’s Adventures is a thrilling 115,000 word interactive fantasy novel by Samuel Young, where your choices control the story. The tale is a companion novel to The Magician’s Burden, set in an alternate time-line. It’s text-based, with occasional vivid illustrations, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Oh, and there’s a sixth and secret member of your party as well: the demon living in your head.

• Play as male, female, or non-binary; romance males, females, both, or no one at all.
  • Romance a cold, aloof arcanist; a competitive, outgoing fencer; a shy, sweet healer; or a fun-loving, charismatic archer.
  • Wield fantastic spells: turn invisible, throw fireballs, heal wounds, and much more.
  • Make a deal with your demon and use his powerful magic, or resist the temptation altogether.

The demon in your head says this is a bad idea. He’s not wrong.

The Mage’s Adventures (choiceofgames.com)

The Nascent Necromancer: The Nascent Necromancer

The Magician’s Burden: The Magician's Burden

My chess Youtube channel: Chess Noob to Chess Master #1: Piece Activity - YouTube

My Facebook page: Redirecting...

27 Likes

I love the game, but it feels like there’s only half a story. It ends with us being sent to hell. The game hints about being able to possibly learn more spells and growing stronger but can’t after we meet the wizard. Feels like there’s supposed to be more after that. Other than that I love it!

3 Likes

@Shadyaddams I’m glad you enjoyed it. It’s designed to be the first part of a series, and creating satisfying endings to stories that aren’t standalones is always tricky. There was a cliffhanger at the end of course, but I felt satisfied that the Linga plotline had been completed.

1 Like

Perfect, I didn’t know of there was gonna be more to the series or if it was a stand alone. Then it makes sense where it ended.

2 Likes

Honestly I think it’s my favorite game of yours, even more so than the Magician’s Burden, I especially loved the twist with the demon and I can’t wait to continue the MC’s adventures in hell, alongside maybe seeing the consequence of the real personality of the body we hijacked finally coming out after all those years.

I can’t imagine the mess it’s gonna be with our friends and ‘family’, let alone the ROs, I’m totally trying to comeback either way tho.

2 Likes

Yeah, at the end of TMA, it says,

To be continued in book two of the Mage’s trilogy, The Mage’s Secret.

…and in the companion book, Zaleth.

1 Like

For some reason it never occurred to me that’d we’d continue playing as the demon. For some reason I thought we’d switch perspectives and play as the sorcerer now freed from their own mind.

That would be a bit redundant with the Magician’s burden tho. And kind of a waste cause it would be a lot more fun to interact with said free sorcerer rather than play as them.

1 Like

@Dragomer @Shadyaddams
The plan is for you to play as the demon in Zaleth, and the human in The Mage’s Secret. So the series splits in different directions with the different MCs

3 Likes

Oh, I thought the Mage’s Secret was supposed to be the Magician’s Burden’s sequel.

Will the demon and the mage have the same type of magic? Like if I chose light magic as a demon, but I also still have light magic and be able
heal? Or was that the mages power we were using? I think it’d be pretty interesting to be a demon with light magic lol. Why do they have the same related types of magic or as being a demon Burke and I have a completely different sort of magic? I’m excited too play it either way!

The mage will have their same powers but the demon will have their own, much stronger abilities. You can get an idea of what those are if you used Zaleth’s powers in TMA

1 Like