The King's Veins (WIP)

Personal message
Finally!!! I got around to starting. Firstly I would like to name every single influence but I know that I would probably forget a name or two and that will gut me dearly. So I will generalise, thanks to my family, friends, every single writer (Including COG writers obviously), and many others. Now enough babble from me.

About game
I’ve begun work on my new game The King’s Veins. In it, you start of playing as a young noble, who will later grow up. You are raised in a post apocalyptic medieval era, where the discovery of magic caused the emergence of beasts that hunt those who survived.

The magic is on the low fantasy end. You will get to engage in combat, political intrigue, lead armies and learn about the origins of the magic as well as its capabilities as progress is made in this tiny imaginary world.

Currently it’s one complete chapter and has 24k+ words done so far, and I plan on updating it at least once every week.

Last Update (06 September 2024): Small edit to chapter 2 introduction.

Feedback: I would appreciate feedback on grammar and weirdly structured sentences. Or if there’s something else that gets to you while reading.

To play the demo, go here: The King’s Veins

More babbling from my side
Regarding the format (dialogue based), it is a bit different from usual but it is nothing new because I have seen it in Suzerain .Which stood out for me because it allowed me to follow the conversations a lot better, especially when there are multiple characters. However I haven’t seen it in a hosted game yet, so do people not like it or are they just very few that are published?

The gender you choose also slightly influences the interactions. For instance, each gender has a different fighting style. This is partly done to encourage both play throughs. Maybe it might work :eyes:

And lastly, I have noticed that people promote the game on separate platforms. However I am not familiar with those platforms, BUT I am very very familiar with instagram. So will try to promote it there for those , who are interested.

Instagram: Tmaty_m

116 Likes

It’s interesting and I can clearly see potential. But a question first will there be management? I love good ol’ management like lords of infinity or choice of rebels.

4 Likes

What he said, and how deep is the character customization? Not just looks but future choice management.

2 Likes

Interesting take on medieval fantasy. I always love anything new fantasy wise so I’ll definitely be reading this one.

Edit: Is us not being able to name ourselves and personal choice or story relevant?

7 Likes

Sounds interesting

2 Likes

Suzerain mentioned ahhhh moment. Definitely bookmarked.

Victern cis da!

7 Likes

“A Morgna wes core! :fist:

4 Likes

Firstly thanks, for being open to it. Now the embarrassing part, :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: the names are random because I haven’t yet figured out how to implement name typing. Only the last name, is story relevant.

6 Likes

Arigato gozaimasu

@ImNotListening

Lords of infinity!!! I got to play the wip, and the management of rebuilding your village, then decorating the interior of the house, etc. Literally blew my mind.
:sweat_smile: LOL, so if those are your expectations, I would suggest you lower them a bit. So far though, the management will be mostly in relation to supplies, when marching.

However I do intend to try touch on a bit of everything, to allow free rein; such town explorations and optional side quests (not taking them, wont result in you failing to complete the story/game. However taking them can result in you not completing :smirk: <Definitely my sinister side).

3 Likes

“How will customisation affect stats/game progress?” I don’t know if I understood your question correctly, do correct me if I am wrong.

Customisation does affect stats, for instance if you wear something heavy. It will penalise your agility stat, but reduce damage taken. Also your choice of attire will slightly influence the interactions/scenes you get. I will try to make it a bit more clear in the update, by including something along the lines of “putting on all those layers of clothing, made you leave a bit later than intended”.

2 Likes

It’s been interesting so far I’ll definitely be following

2 Likes

You got it.

1 Like

Arigato gozaimasu

1 Like

Noice :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

2 Likes

So can you try your hand at sword combat as a girl and vice versa, or is that not possible?

It’s also a bit funny that, male makes for way better archer, while female is more equalized when it comes to sword combat, but it’s a classical trope for a reason.

1 Like

Okay, now that is interesting! And like you say, I am approaching it from a trope/culture perspective.

But to answer your question: Yes, the female pov will be able to learn swordsmanship. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: I mean I know that in one of the replies, I mentioned something about a sinister side but I wouldn’t introduce the reader/player to sword combat just to rub salt. So in total there will be three fighting style play throughs; swordsmanship only (male), bow only (female), both sword and bow (female).

1 Like

Yeah, bow requires a lot of strength to use, a typical war bow would require around 100 pound to draw, since it directly influences how accurate, fast, and damaging your arrow is, there’s a reason archery was a plot device in The Odyssey.

not saying female can’t achieve that but it’s really hard and they have much better result using a crossbow instead.

Long swords weighs about 3 pounds and how you use it is much more important than how hard you are swinging, a child can kill someone with a knife if they are stabbing in the right place.

I don’t dislike the trope though, so it’s fine the way it is.

3 Likes

its is truly a nice creation.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: At least.

But if I manage to finally complete this. Maybe I can try out another one that tries to focus more on the realism, because now I am very curious about such a play-through. Maybe one where the sister is such a rare talent that she excels in both archery and swordsmanship. Then you as the POV are always in her shadow. The female POV won’t be a better archer and will have to decide whether to continue down this path or be a woman that society deems (stay at home and manage the lands). Then the male POV wont be a better swordsman, and will have to decide whether or not to collude with other jealous knights in a plot against his sister or will he just runaway to a distant land and become a mercenary to avoid his sister’s shadow. :thinking: :thinking: .The storyline is still a bit rough but it has got me thinking.

BUT nonetheless thanks for your perspective/information.

1 Like