This started as a choice clone of the old 1992 video game “Alone in the Dark”. It didn’t take long until I began to customize what was seen and what was read compared to the original video game. Like the difference between a cartoon and a painting there is much to see that the video game lacks. I was suggested to customize the back story and so I did and with the help of those “Extra Credits” videos on youtube I steered this beast into different waters.
I used an old XP laptop with no integrated spell checking.
I used Advelh 2000 to create my game. All it does is track section numbers so if I move things around it adjust all pointers.
There is absolutely NO spell correction so if that makes you scream then do not enter.
Right now I just need some blatant play testing of the game layout itself.
I do not mean the dice rolling system but the pacing. The frequency of encountering monsters, their placement, and other challenges may need to be changed. Many are simply hold overs from the original video game’s layout and may need to be removed for continuity. Some sections might need complete rewrites as a result. This is the reason I am reluctant to performing any form of spell correction. That and the spell checking programs always stops at each and every ‘choice’ option.
Right now I have few primary questions.
A. Is it impossible to complete? There is A singular good ending.
B. Is it too similar to the ‘alone in the dark’ game as to be problematic.
C. Are the monsters too difficult to get by?
D. Should I remove custom character creation and stick with the pre gens?
E. Is my ‘rating’ grade for content appropriate?
Considering changes in the layout there are two things that I’ve considered changing.
A. Removing the giant snake & its encounter altogether.
. I think its too much combat and pacing. This might also apply to the ghost girl and the zombie cook as well.
B. Removing the ‘Standing Stones’ jumping test section.
. I think its too much of a ‘platformer jumping test’ held over from the game
Or you can find it in the preffered .html format. beware there are formatting issues that makes it all bold face at points and it’s still not spell checked. Also for some reason google drive list it as a plain text document and not .html. so you will need to download it and re-view. Its plain old text html. nothing fancy.
I should mention that this is a work of love. I’ve had little to no feedback on this at all. I’ve created it after 10 pm on weeknights and its taken me a few years to complete. Oh I have no qualms about it being cheap. I know its cheap and amatureish. Right now all I am focusing in on is the gameplay itself. That’s what I want to hear about. Any tips and tricks are greatly welcome. As for that enormous code word list, If I listed every object by name, it will almost tell you directly where to look for the codewords you need. If you need “The big spoon” to get past a monster your going to search in the kitchen. No I wanted this to be a Hunt because at the same time you find hints to read and atmospheric things. I tried to research objects from the 1923 timeframe to put in the house so it would seem authentic. Many of the objects are real things you can find online. Some are not. If the code word list needs to be simplified to object names, im open to that. Monsters and their and the player characters unique death/descriptions im sorta proud of. Some have to stay because they integrate into the new story line. Some can be riped right out because there nothing more than video game hold overs. So Yeah, I know its a conversion but at the same time a few things in it im proud of.
Most of all I want you guys to have fun.
I want you to enjoy my creation.