The Hero of Kendrickstone: Rescue a city held hostage by an evil wizard!

Buy armor and charge in. @Sylfaen

@Cataphrak… loving the game so far, i’m just a few chapters in since i just bought it… but something jumped at me from the end of the first chapter, no checkpoint saves, two of the best games i played mecha ace and sabres had these, so i was kinda stumped because if i made wrong choice or die, i’d go back from the very beginning (200+ resets from lords of astwick has traumatized me)… i know some people like the perma death feature as part of RPing but i guess im just not one of those, still love and will always support your work!.. just when you’re thinking of releasing an update, please reconsider the checkpoints (if it’s not too much trouble)… oh and if it’s in the game but just like every 3 chapters since i just finished chapter 1 and kinda hesitated when there was no checkpoint, i’ll just delete this comment and save me from shame… hehe…

With the armor as a pure bard, I was able to beat the razorback but got pretty mangled in the process. The sling was a better bet (dead razorback without me ending up severely wounded), but I also sprung for the second highest room & board option, which I think might have an effect? @Sylfaen

I asked about this, and it looks like CoG’s policy is generally against a checkpoint system because of how finicky they are (Mecha Ace’s checkpoints are still giving trouble, 9 months after release).
I can assure you that nothing permanent or substantial is affected by the RNG though, so it’s not like trying to father a bastard in Lords of Aswick. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Sylfaen
Fixed that in my copy.
There’s no way to defeat the razorclaw without some kind of combat skill, but that does not necessarily mean you can’t come out of the adventure successfully, with a reward and everything.
Note that your morale plays a big part in determining your ability to succeed. High morale means huge stat bonuses, low morale means penalties. That generally means that springing for better living conditions gives you more options.

@Blackbeard
That’s probably because I had a lot more freedom to do non-linear stuff like parallel chapters in Sabres, and the fact that Mecha Ace’s divergent endings render a sequel all-but impossible. I had to make some compromises in Kendrickstone due to CoG’s guidelines, and the fact that I do want to write further installments.

2 Likes

Weird. I’ve gone there half-drunk from the alcohol and using the second best lodgings, still can’t manage to even get a reward. I get knocked out and the farmers almost all die.

@Brian @thingswithteeth
Tried both of those, but I may be held back because I’m using the third-room at the Inn (aka the common room). I guess I’ll be less cheap.

EDIT: Tried it again with a better room plus the sling, finally killed the thing. Morale OP

Morale very OP - which, incidentally, means that going indie is hard mode. The real advantage you get from a mentor isn’t just the education, it’s room and board.

Seriously. You may be able to beat the Razorback with morale or armor, but you won’t have enough money to buy the first bard-training book, which means you aren’t skilled enough to get the chalice later.

haha… was i so obvious about wanting a bastard in that game?.. haha… anyway, thanks for the reply, i hope you can manage to add that checkpoint system on your other upcoming game, since i died a few times in the first game and even in mecha ace before i had my perfect runs on both games… hehe… GODSPEED!

Am I only the only one getting choice errors with chaps and such I basically can’t play the game

@Reaper_General If you’re getting errors it’s better to be more specific on them. Which platform are you using? Be precise in what the errors say and exactly where you encounter them.

I started getting errors after I had done a couple of playthroughs in a row. I restarted the app and they went away. Might be worth trying…

It’s very possible, but requires some foresight. Assuming the lute start…

Buy the 4 silver room at the traveler’s Inn, then when you hit the city get the 75 silver one. Work for a patron, buy the bard book after. You should have 31 gold. Grab the Lionmilk before you go off, then when you get to Sonnemerci talk to the Dame about the Razorclaw (this seems to increase your chances of killing it). Go off to fight it, charge in with the rest, get the gold as your reward.

Stay in the 150 silver room, patron again, then buy the economics book. Get the new Writ (not doing so lowers morale), and I don’t think it matters what you buy/do before this mission (I always get the Blessing just in case). Bluff your way in, no chalice, etc. Economics lets you get their on time, you confront him immediately and bluff his guards.

I’ve managed a ‘perfect’ playthrough with both the Indie Bard and working for Hallowstone Rogue, trying to do an Apprentice Wizard but the game is not responding well to my attempts at ‘multi-classing’. Maybe if I manipulate morale more.

I brought the game on the site itself and sometimes when I click a open nothing appears so I click on the stats box then return game and get a pop saying chap (Whatever chapter I’m currently on) increasing indent is suppose to be 2 not 4. So if I have to buy it as an app to fix it I might not bother, Also what’s up with magic I have 5 which is good yet I always get shot in the arm by the bandit, cannot get the wizard to take me on as an apprentice and cannot destroy the razorback by destroying its mind.

@Reaper_General Not sure what’s going on there, but I’m pretty sure restarting the game will take care of it.

Do you have low morale? Try staying in the modest room.

You need either to start in the Sanctuary or have a bit of eloquence if you want to earn an apprenticeship. Build morale as necessary.

But yeah, multiclassing with magic is difficult if you don’t know what you’re doing. It’s the downside of magic being so powerful.

Yeah, if you want to actually use magic at any point you have to start in the Sanctuary since he doesn’t bother making you his apprentice until after the third task.

I managed it though, kill the dragon with a sword then start in the sanctuary. Spending Lavishly at the Inn lets you impress Isan, so you start upping Magic instantly while giving you enough speed to get the chalice later on.

The only role I’ve yet to perfect is Squire, can’t manage to save both Edmund and the Inn-owners on the road

@Sylfaen

I’ve saved the knight and the inn-owners as a squire. What you have to do is use a sling instead of a sword.

1 Like

I thought that, the sling required subterfuge. Does it use prowess, or do you just select to be a shepherd and use morale?

Nah. The sling uses Prowess.

1 Like