The Hero of Kendrickstone: Rescue a city held hostage by an evil wizard!

Scheming, maniacal laughter

I had to try. The last time, you revealed Mundy in this thread.

During chapter 4, if you visit the Sanctuary archives (alone or with Selim) and you already have a bunch of info about the Ever-Living (that otherwise you might have learned from the archives), then you get a boost to Flowering Court lore instead. The easiest way to learn the info about the Ever-Living before visiting the Sanctuary is to spend a day at the Grey Courser and get info from your fellow adventurers. This requires you to have not collapsed the tunnel, and to have at least 4 eloquence so that the other adventurers are comfortable sharing info with you. There might be another way to get all the required info before visiting the Sanctuary if you have the Book of Mad Whispers, but it would be more challenging.

A female RO seems quite likely in the next installment. If she’s someone we’ve seen before, she could be Caroline of Hillisport (which has the disadvantage of not being available if Caroline’s dead, or wasn’t taken prisoner in chapter 6, or likely even if the MC chose Dame Mildred or Isan’s plan and so didn’t talk with the prisoner) or she could be Sir Edmund’s squire, who we see in the epilogue if Sir Edmund was saved:

To the side stands Sir Edmund, also in mail, accompanied by a lithe, redheaded girl of teenaged years—his squire, perhaps?

The disadvantage here is that the MC’s relationship with her would presumably be significantly different depending on whether or not Sir Edmund was alive. I suppose the default for new players (or those who’ve played Hallowford but not Kendrickstone) could be that Sir Edmund is dead, and the relationship develops at least a bit differently for Kendrickstone players who import a save where Sir Edmund survives (or vice versa: the default is that Sir Edmund is alive, and someone who imports a save where Sir Edmund is dead has a different experience).

Cataphrak can avoid these issues by having the ROs be new characters, but one of the complaints I’ve seen about Hallowford is that it doesn’t feel especially connected to the characters established in Kendrickstone. Having a RO who was in Kendrickstone when the MC became a hero would help to tie the series together a bit more.

Oh oh. I forgot that I wasn’t tracking this topic, and thought that nobody answered. Thanks guys. I will chose one of those plans. In meantime I have other question.

Here are my achievements. I’m assuming, that that hidden (“ukryte” means “hidden” in Polish) for 25 points is “Lawful Good”, and one of those for 10 is “Black-Clad”. My question: What are those other hidden achievements for 10, and how to get all those hidden achievements?

Woah.

How did you get the Chaotic Evil?

In some ways Caroline potentially being dead could be an advantage as an RO because it makes your choice to save/spare her earlier in the story all the more meaningful.

I nade many evil Characters, but for some reason (internet hole or other) none of them got this achievement, so I checked my internet connection, and played with steam guide to this achievement.

Also, if I remember it right, if Sir Edmund dies Caroline does as well.

Potentially, but you only have meaningful interaction with Caroline (or another prisoner) if you choose William or the Duke’s plan. If you choose Dame Mildred or Isan’s plan, would that close off a romance option?

If you spared Caroline and then you save Frida and her family but not Sir Edmund (or Sir Edmund but not Frida), then Caroline presumably dies. If, however, Sir Edmund dies because the MC doesn’t intervene or fails completely, then presumably Caroline survives. If you save Sir Edmund and Frida, a compassionate MC might decide to leave Caroline unconscious rather than taking her prisoner (and risking her being tortured). That would mean that the MC can’t get to know Caroline, and might not be able to start a romance with her.

Well yeah, my point is that it would be really cool because it would be a really big “choices matter” moment, but of course because it’s so dependent on previous choices it’d also be very easy to miss and therefore might not be considered worth while. Also on the upside is that it would just be interesting and unusual in general.

I think you misunderstood me. What I meant was that a character without William as a mentor has to go with the Duke’s plan (and meet the requirements) in order to get the maximum 16 point main stat total.

Even one point of peace magic managed to be applicable twice for my aforementioned bard build in Kendrickstone. Sybil (the bard) was able to mentally knock a bandit out and use some minor telekenisis to create a distraction.

The question about literature and Korilandis was rhetorical; I was just demonstrating that some of the lores are less actively useful than others.

Technically, D&D bards have their own spell list, which intersects somewhat with the wizard spell list. The same is true for almost all casters in D&D, though, so it’s not really accurate to say a D&D bard has access to wizard spells. Unless they took one of those prestige classes that actually lets them choose spells from the wizard list, but that would be a function of the prestige class rather than the bard class.

For Lawful Good, have over 75 compassion and order by the end of the game as well as not having killed anyone. For Black-Clad, you need to hide at the docks and watch the bandits get away with the chalice, then you get the achievement when Isan gives his mission to you later on.

Two of the other hidden ones are Phat Lute (spend all your free time playing the lute in taverns instead of studying; obviously a lute is needed for this) and Fistfighting Minigame (spend all your free time doing prizefighting, which I believe it is easiest to do with Mildred as a mentor). The others, I can’t remember. Try looking at the code.

To do this, you need to have over 75 freedom and pragmatism by the end of the game, and have killed 5 people.

You’re right, sorry. I don’t believe it’s possible for a character who starts working for William immediately to reach a total of 17 in primary stats. So reaching 17 in Kendrickstone is far from obvious: if a mentorless character didn’t choose to work for William when that didn’t involve sacrificing other benefits, why would they choose to work for him instead of getting, say, 500 gold? It’s also possible for a non-imported character in Hallowford who’s head of the adventurer’s guild or who owns a manse to reach at total of 17 in primary stats, but at least one of the stats will be a 3 (which is mostly useless) unless they have three 4s and one 5 (and if you want that character to know magic,they can’t have Will be the 5).

Stat requirements tend to get higher as a series progresses. One point of peace magic (with low Will) is almost never useful in Hallowford. I don’t imagine that it will do much of anything in future games.

I’m dating myself, but my reference to a classic D&D bard was actually a reference to AD&D (2nd ed.). 2nd edition bards had access to all wizard spells except for Level 8 and 9 spells. They had fewer spells than wizards of the same level each day, but they leveled up faster. Roland is inspired by the AD&D bard, which was my favorite class in high school.

@DarthShit The last hidden achievement is Hopeless Romantic: “You’ve spent most of the year pursuing true love.”

Yes, but two are, and you yourself demonstrated that two points are useful in at least three situations in Hallowford, which in my opinion puts it on par with most of the other lores. It’s not like it costs you anything to boost it to two in Hallowford.

There’s an opportunity cost: if you boost magic in Hallowford, you can’t boost other lore skills (except for Flowering Court lore in chapter 4, which is somewhat difficult to do). You mentioned that your bard would boost Flowering Court and Woodcraft in Hallowford, which means boosting magic isn’t an option.

I reviewed the places where having 1 or 2 Peace Magic together with 2 Will are useful in Hallowford. There are a couple of places where it gives you some information (you sense magic) but doesn’t give you any new options or bonuses (such as a boost to renown). There are a couple of places where it allows you to pass a check that can be passed in several ways. If you stand and fight in chapter 3 and you support your allies from a distance, then having a tiny bit of magic is as useful as having a sling with low prowess (you can contribute a bit to the fight, but Sam still dies) In chapter 6, if you don’t talk your way out of the situation and you don’t have 5 prowess or 5 subterfuge, then 2 peace magic allows you to escape from prison.

2 peace magic allows you to follow the magical trail in chapter 3, earning some respect from Sam and Adanna (though if you have 2 woodcraft, you could also get that respect by following the Cryptkeepers’ trail). It can help you in chapter 4 if you’re sneaking into the Cryptkeeper archives and you have at least 6 subterfuge. Finally, at the end of the game, if you have low prowess and you’re trying to help Lucan or destroy the Heart, then having a bit of peace magic makes the final check slightly easier.

You found a bit of peace magic useful at the end of Kendrickstone because morale helped to make up for your low Will and low magic lore. Assuming morale doesn’t return in future installments, I think a little bit of magic lore (with only 2 Will) will probably be less useful than other lore skills.

My bard could just as easily boost magic, and it’s not like it’s hard for a bard to get that boost to Flowering Court lore in chapter 4. True, there’s an opportunity cost, but that is true no matter which two lore stats you choose to boost. When I said ‘no cost’ I meant that there was no more cost compared to any other option. Having my bard build have Flowering Court, woodcraft and peace magic lores all at 1 point at the start of Hallowford simply allows for more flexibility, it doesn’t mean that it is pigeonholed into one option just because that’s what I specified in my example.

As you demonstrate, 2 points of peace magic is useful in opening up a number of options during the events of Hallowford, and coupled with the times even one point is useful in Kendrickstone, that puts it on par with or even above some of the other lore skills. Maybe not on the level of Flowering Court lore, but the whole setting has a large focus on Flowering Court ruins and artefacts, so that’s not surprising. Certainly it proves itself as useful as woodcraft, and maybe even a bit more so than weapons or economics lore. That’s why I take the stance that the magic lores stand on their own as lore skills.

I think you underestimate the usefulness of standalone magic lores because they are many times more useful with a substantial will, and subconsciously at least, you are comparing the two applications. You aren’t wrong, but it’s stopping you from seeing that by themselves, the magic lores are still as useful as most of the other lores.

True, one of the applications at the end of Kendrickstone was only possible due to the morale bonus. However, since morale was an integral part of that game just as its absence is in Hallowford, that doesn’t disprove my point. Peace magic without more than 2 will was useful in the context of Kendrickstone, and remains so in Hallowford. Any speculation about how useful it will be in future installments is just that; speculation. It doesn’t get rid of the fact of magic’s usefulness as a standalone lore skill in the first two games.

At the end we can’t be a Court Wizard, and still keep the Book of Mad Whispers right?

I notice the tome remains in my inventory after I ask for an official position.

Secretly hoping I can get both.:laughing:

No, you can only get one reward.

Thank you all. So Internet connection is to blame. I already should have Lawfull Good, Phat the Lute, and Fistfighting Minigame achievements. I didn’t get those, due to weak net connection. I will play again to get those.

Most of these options are not very interesting or likely to matter. Basic magic is no better than the sling with low prowess (and the result is certainly not ideal) when standing and fighting in chapter 3, and it’s easy to find another solution in chapter 6. The contribution at the end of the game for characters with low prowess and low will is minor, and likely irrelevant if the MC has set up well for the endgame (such as by arriving first).

Basic magic can make a real contribution for a high subterfuge character in chapter 4, but the boost to peace magic at the end of Kendrickstone would only be relevant for a mentorless character who boosts subterfuge to 6 with Isan’s ring, and then stays with Isan; I expect that’s pretty rare. The only contribution from basic peace magic that I expect many players will get is earning Sam and Adanna’s respect from following the magical trail (a minor boost to renown), as well as occasional information from sensing magic. (Following the trail requires 2 peace magic, which means you’re not boosting other lores instead.)

You may be right, but I’m not sure. Peace magic and battle magic are different from the other lore skills. They tend to be harder to acquire or boost (someone working for William can’t buy the tome, and if you create a new mentorless character at the beginning of Hallowford, they can’t boost magic lore when they have the option of boosting other lore skills). Magic lore is similar to a main stat, since magic options check against will + magic lore. Because of this, I don’t think Cataphrak needs to write as many options for magic lore by itself. All of the other lore skills (except Woodcraft) can give an MC who loots 400 silver in Hallowford, and Woodcraft helps out on a few occasions. There are some uses for magic lore with low will, but they’re sporadic, since magic lore’s primary use is when it’s combined with will.

@DarthShit
For Phat Lute, you have to be mentorless to get the achievement (this may be a coding mistake).