The Hero of Kendrickstone: Rescue a city held hostage by an evil wizard!

I assume you’re talking about the scene in chapter 6 when you find the bandit ambush on the road?

Much like Jjcb said, there is an option to use magic when you say you have a cunning plan to stop them. However, not only do you need to have a high will, but you need to look at the Lore Skills section in the stats screen. I believe you need to have the Battle Magic and Peace Magic lore skills at 3 or higher in order to use magic in that scene. If you don’t have enough lore points, the option to use magic will not show up, because your character doesn’t know any spells good enough to solve the problem.

If you don’t have enough lore points, you can fix this in one of two ways. A: Be Isan’s apprentice. It automatically gives you lore points. Or, B: If you’re an independant adventurer, pay the money to study magic. that gives you more of the lore points, though it is a bit expensive.

Any guide for compassioned, yet free, bard ?

By bard, do you mean just someone who has the bard achievement?

Someone who invests in bard stat, and prefers talking over fighting.

It’s been quite a while since I played this and I usually went non-lethal mage, so I’m not sure how much help I can be. The mage seemed to be the best path if you wanted to avoid a body count since there was only so much that talking could get done, but talking with a bit of illusion for when that fails meant I could just scare off my enemies instead of having to risk my and their lives fighting them.

My problem is that the “freewheeling bard” character I initially tried is completely handicapped by the story, along with the comparatively paltry pay from working independently. Taking the charm path causes you to fail the first mission. While the others down the line have more effective charm options, the very first mission gives you a boost in gold that gives you momentum for the rest of the game.

You can succeed in the first mission, but you have to find the razorclaw by yourself, then go back to the baroness to convince her they don’t have to hunt it.

The first mission is a challenge for a mentorless bard, especially one who wants to improve their stats as much as possible. Assuming you start with the bard background (which is the only way in this game to have the lute and be a “full” bard), you start with 50 silver pennies, and you earn 45 silver from your job in chapter 4 (unless you work as a poet when you already have 5 eloquence; that gives you 100 gold and some renown, but you lose a chance to boost one of your primary stats). So you have 95 silver, minus whatever you spend at The Growling Giant (between 1 and 15) and whatever you spend for room and board at the Blazing Sword (10, 25, or 75). If you want to improve your lore skills as much as possible, you need to pay 40 silver for an academic text, and you don’t have any free time to make extra money. It’s impossible for a mentorless bard who starts with 5 eloquence to do all three of the following: boost a primary stat (from working), boost a lore skill (from studying), and defeat the razorclaw, since that would require a morale boost that you don’t have enough money for.

(If you only spend 1 silver at The Growling Giant, you can almost do it: spend 25 for room and board, 40 for a text, and you’re 1 silver short of being able to buy the lionmilk to boost your morale, which could let you kill the razorclaw. If players request it, @Cataphrak might consider making a change in the next update so that a character with 5 eloquence only needs 23 silver to buy the lionmilk, since eloquent characters get a discount. If a 5 eloquence character (with no morale boosts or penalties) has 30 silver, they would end up with 7 silver after buying the lionmilk because of the discount, but with 29 silver you can’t buy the lionmilk.)

It’s also not possible for a mentorless bard who starts with 5 eloquence to boost a primary stat, boost a lore skill, and convince the Baroness to leave the razorclaw alone. That requires 6 (eloquence + morale), but there’s no way to have boosted your eloquence if you start with 5 eloquence, and you don’t have enough money to boost your morale.

Since I don’t want to miss an opportunity to boost my stats or my lore skills and I definitely want the Baroness’ reward (money is tight when you’re paying for room and board, and 400 hundred silver goes a long way), my mentorless bard Roland dreams about being a warrior, starting with 4 prowess and 3 eloquence. He spends lavishly at the Growling Giant, which allows him to bluff the bandits (fighting the bandits without a sword or sling means you get wounded, and getting healed costs more than spending lavishly) and spare the wounded bandit. He works as a poet, sleeps in the common room, eats modestly, buys a collection of heroic tales, asks the Baroness how best to fight a razorclaw, waits with Maud and Stephen, and charges in with his weapon (4 prowess plus some help from the farmer with the bow is just enough to kill the beast).

After taking the gold, Roland continues to work as a poet and decides to try something new, buying a tome of magic. With relatively high morale (from a private room, a blessing, or both if you decide to not buy a writ), Roland bluffs his way into Lord Berwick’s manse, plunders his strongbox and valuables (though he feels a bit sorry about this after learning of Lord Berwick’s troubles), runs to the docks (and I have Roland stay hidden and see Milius), bluffs Lord Berwick’s guards, and brings William the chalice, receiving 5 gold (renown or a favour William that owes you are also decent options).

Roland now works as a healer: in Hallowford, he’ll have 4 prowess, 4 will, 2 of each magic lore, and 6 eloquence, so he’ll have at least some skill in most situations. The cheaper way to beat chapter 6 is to buy a sling, but I avoid having Roland kill anyone, so he needs to have high morale. Roland has a private room and reads either “The Korilandine Wars” or “A Survey of the Forest Ruins” (I want Roland to reach at least 2 Flowering Court lore, but he can boost both magic and Flowering Court lore in the next game, so it’s fine for him to broaden his horizons here). He buys the potion and then bluffs the bandits, encouraging Sir Edmund to take the unconscious bandit prisoner, and receives the ring of the scholar before heading back to the Blazing Sword.

Roland chooses the duke’s plan, receiving his cloak, convinces Caroline of Hillisport to help, and easily defeats Milius. He wants Caroline to be spared punishment and has the other bandits exiled from Kendrickstone (Roland is very compassionate). Aware that he isn’t widely known, he refuses any reward for saving Kendrickstone, which greatly increases his fame. He ends the game by tweaking the melody of the song written in his honour.

In Hallowford, Roland boosts both his magic lores to 2, buys armour, and becomes very famous and widely liked.

Prowess and Will are not stats that you want to stack, in my opinion - they overlap too much in their usefulness.

In fairness, that may not always be true in future installments.

Yes and no. There’ll obviously be cases where magic won’t help and physical ability will, and obviously magic is much more versatile than combat skill alone, but Battle Magic will inherently overlap heavily with the arse-kicking function of Prowess. So given limited points, I’d rather pick one or the other.

That’s a reasonable approach. I wanted a mentorless bard with a lute and some magical skill (while maximizing my stat and lore boosts), and it’s not possible for that character to defeat the razorclaw without prowess. If Roland dreamed of being a mage, the boost to will wouldn’t help until he buys the tome of magic, which is far too expensive for a mentorless bard who’s starting out.

Aside from his high eloquence, which he relies on when he can, Roland is a jack of all trades (except subterfuge), and (as you acknowledged) different stats are useful in different situations. Having decent prowess definitely helps to get the chalice for William (the only alternatives would be to spend a ton of money boosting morale, or to learn economics, which isn’t the sort of thing I see Roland doing, and uses up an opportunity to learn the sort of things Roland would want to study). I’m not going to argue that Roland is the most powerful character, but he’s reasonably skilled, I find him interesting to play (for example, in his decision to avoid killing bandits) and he completes Hallowford quite successfully.

I have a solo bard build that ends up with 5 prowess and 7 eloquence, along with 5 lore points in total, 1 less than Roland (the same number as a soloist bard or magician who doesn’t buy a spellbook or stay with Isan, a village bard or village magician who does not buy a spellbook and gets a job with William after stealing the cup, or one more than a village squire or shepherd who gets the job with William after stealing the cup). With a bit of tweaking you can easily get 6 prowess and elegance each instead, if you want. Just choose a different ring after finishing Isan’s magic circle mission.

Start as a village bard who dreams of being a warrior. Work as an in-house poet, then make money by performing. You will lose a potential lore stat bonus, but that will be made up for in the end when we learn a bit of peace magic from Isan. Get the room that gives a +1 morale bonus. When setting off for Sonnemerci, buy a sling. Fight with the farmers using your sling. Choose the gold as your reward.

Next, work as an in-house poet again. Get the room that gives a +1 morale bonus. Study a book of literature. Pay for your writ. Before breaking into the mansion, buy an aketon. Bluff your way in, steal all you can, run to the docks and bluff past the guards to get to Berwick and the chalice. Choose the renown reward once you deliver the chalice to William. Or you could choose the gold or a sword, if you like. I wouldn’t recommend the favor.

Finally, chop some firewood and deliver it to boost prowess. Choose the living option that gives a penalty to morale. Study woodcraft. On the road, defend the cart from bandits with your sling. When you get back to Isan, choose the ring that boosts your eloquence.

For the final mission, go with the Duke’s plan, which gets you up to 7 eloquence. You can choose whatever reward and fate for the bandits you like. Personally, I went with hard labor and gold, because I didn’t want to have abandon the amazing view from the Court Wizard’s tower, but that part is really up to you.

In the second game this bard can boost her Flowering Court and woodcraft to 2 each, which helps with the tracking of lost Cryptkeepers and translating stuff. Better armor can also be bought, and you can buy a sword or steal one if you go with the Cryptkeepers’ group at the end.

It’s also possible to make a build that is an improvement on this one in every way if you go with Mildred as your mentor, but I’m assuming that what is wanted here is a solo bard.

I have a relatively similar build to yours, with Dame Mildred as my mentor, 5 prowess, 6 eloquence, and the Sword of Kendrick Giant-Slayer. You’re right that a lot of things are easier/better with a mentor (such as boosting two lore skills when you study with Dame Mildred or Isan as mentor, rather than one). I think the main advantage of a mentorless build is the possibility to choose what stats and lore skills you want to improve. A bard with Isan as a mentor can’t improve in literature during this game (and it feels a bit wrong to play a musical, highly eloquent character with only one literature), and someone with the bard background and Dame Mildred or William as a mentor can’t learn magic (except for a bard who starts mentorless and joins William after getting him the chalice).

Aside from Isan’s ring and maybe the duke’s cloak, characters with a mentor can only improve the primary stat that their mentor is good at, so it’s difficult or impossible to end up with three stats that you’re at least decent at. I have five builds that I imported from Kendrickstone to Hallowford and intend to continue using. Three of them are focused on two of the primary stats (none of them specialize in only one stat), but the other two (including Roland) are well rounded, with two 4s and one higher stat. Hallowford doesn’t use morale, so there’s no way to boost a 4 for a more demanding check, but a 4 (+2 magic lore, if we’re talking about will) can be enough to open up some interesting options.

Learning the basics of peace magic has a good chance of not being helpful since your will is so low. (Also, I personally prefer returning to the Blazing Sword and being treated as a hero by Frida and her family.)

If you don’t need the aketon for this game (and your character doesn’t), you’re better off not buying it. You can buy leather armour in Hallowford whether or not you have have the aketon, and there’s no discount if you already have the aketon.

Mentors also have some passive lore boosts, like William giving you economic and weapons knowledge automatically, or Mildred giving you a boost to woodcraft if you don’t have enough in the final parts of the game. Isan is the best for this, however, since he gives you free magic lore as his apprentice, and lots of Flowering Court, Korilandis and economic lore as his servant.

For pure main stat gain, William is also the best mentor to have as, if you are a courier, you can get a total of 17 main stat points working for him, compared to 16 with any other character (and that’s only if you go with the Duke’s plan and have the necessary requirements for the eloquence boost he gives you).

If we were talking about battle magic, I might agree, but remember that peace magic isn’t just healing, it also makes you telepathic without any particular need for will, and if you can boost that one point up to two, you can also use it for tracking magic. In fact, simply using magic as a passive lore like that is probably more efficient, compared to trying to have a bit of will to go with it on the side as well like Roland does, since it means the build is spread less thin.

Not to mention that not all lore stats are equal anyway. When have literature or knowledge of Korilandis ever come up in a practical situation? Literature more so than Korilandis, since Korilandis lore does actually come up twice in the first game as far as I know, although in rather obscure spots.

Oh, really? I thought it just worked like in the first game, and I never actually checked with an armour-less character. If that’s the case, then yes, no need to buy the aketon in the first game. It would then be better to choose the room with no effect on morale for the chalice mission, and then get a blessing.

Also, one question, do you see magic as an integral feature of a bard? It’s just that you seem to place some weight on a bard being able to learn some kind of magic.

I think the only way to reach 17 stat points is to start mentorless and then join William after getting him the
chalice. You don’t need to go with the Duke’s plan, however: if you go with William’s plan and you had saved Frida, he’ll reward you with a pair of silent boots that boost subterfuge.

The razorclaw was particulary susceptible to being influenced by a telepathic link, since it was made by the Flowering Court. Normally entering someone else’s mind requires will to get past their mental defenses, though there are a couple of moments where you can put someone to sleep without a will check if you don’t seem like a threat to them (one of these moments requires three in peace magic, however). In Hallowford there are perhaps three occasions where 2 peace magic is helpful to you regardless of will.

Some lores haven’t been widely useful so far, though I expect that future installments might have more use for them (Flowering Court is pretty useful in Hallowford, where there’s a Flowering Court ruin; I expect the series will go to Korilandis at some point, and then Korilandine lore might be the most important). So far, literature has helped with entertaining in taverns (it can give you an extra 75 silver and 25 renown) and can help when your looting in Hallowford: you recognize some rare old academic texts you can sell for a tidy profit.

There are always trade-offs. A character who specializes in two out of the four main stats will sometimes face situations where they can’t get something because they have nothing invested in another stat. (Pretty much the only way to get a specific boost to Flowering Court lore in Hallowford requires at least 4 eloquence; there are other, less dramatic examples for the other main stats.) A jack of all trades won’t be able pass some demanding skill checks. Roland is sort of in between: he specializes in one stat and is decent at two.

Not necessarily. I consider my 5 prowess 6 eloquence squire to Dame Mildred to be a bard (she has a lute), though not a traditional one. Roland is more influenced by the classic D&D bard, who has some access to wizard spells. When I mentioned that characters with the bard background and Dame Mildred or William as a mentor couldn’t learn magic, I wasn’t arguing that magic was a key part of being a bard. I was pointing out an advantage of being mentorless (the option to buy the spellbook) which helps to illustrate how mentorless characters are more customizable.

Where is the boost to Flowering Court that requires 4 Eloquence in Hallowford?

Please what are the romance options and could you give me some tips on how to romance them. I don’t know if my guess is correct but I’m thinking Mindy is a romance option too, Pls tell me if I’m wrong

You can start relationships with Mundy and Selim at the end of Hallowford, but that will continue to evolve over multiple installments. I’ll be introducing two more ROs in the third book, when I can get to it.

Any hints and/or names?